1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trade: Bonzi, James for Bobby Jackson? (UPDATE: Done Deal)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by farrisdabis, Feb 20, 2008.

1. pelbeaini

pelbeaini Contributing Member

James has a player option for around $6.9 million, and he's going to take for sure.

2. ROCKU

ROCKU Rookie

Bonzi will give us more help in playoffs,if we can not get artest,i think it is the worst trade i'v seen.

3. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

What, you think winning basketball games is more important than saving animals. Typical male Internet mentality.

I'm all for winning, but there are way more important things in life- of course, you'd never know it from all the "my heart stopped...I'm going to get sick..." comments. It's not that bad of a trade (although I personally don't prefer it), and we don't even know if there is something this is leading to, so maybe we can hold off on the knee-jerk reactions until tomorrow. How funny that many of these posters who are often ready to crucify Bonzi after every bad game (and especially last year) now think he's the savior. Classic.

4. R-Jay

R-Jay Member

we still have the core of the team. what we will miss on bonzi is his scoring and slashing coming from the bench. we also need his hustle and rebounds. i hope there will be a continuation of this trade, perhaps acquiring a big wing that can score. but i know we dont have available trade baits now..

5. trugoy

trugoy Member

The rockets are competing for a 2nd round exit, there is no way that the rockets beat the lakers/suns/spurs/dallas in a 7 game series.

6. Raven

Raven Member

If we're not playing to win now, then why isn't Rudy Gay wearing a Rocket's uniform?

This is not the kind of trade that generates excitement or sells tickets.

7. trugoy

trugoy Member

Tmac's game is not really predicated on athleticism anymore, he can still play well(though not on a all-nba level), Yao actually can play well for much longer, his game is based on his height and touch, not on jumping/speed etc...he already is the slowest player in the nba so i don't see how he will decline, if anything he will get better.

8. AGBee

AGBee Member

Will Haluska get to keep his #1 jersey?

9. The Hungarian Rocket

No. He has to change to #11. :)

10. KillaBlackMamba

look on the bright side, no more ball chugging Mike James

11. Raven

Raven Member

In a season where there's a decent chance the Rockets won't even make the playoffs, in a season where several western conference teams upgraded, in a season where Tracy appears to be struggling, in a season where the core players are adding another year of wear and tear - the Rockets gave up Bonzi Wells for cap relief.

12. bloop

bloop Member

Yeah because animals are the most important things in the world. I'll be thinking that when I'm eating a big 1/2lb burger for lunch today...

Sports teams are private enterprises, but they're also held in the public trust. They're part of the community that's why you have things like public financing for stadiums and tax rebates of all sorts for businesses in and around the sporting events. If you own a franchise yeah it's "your team" but you have an obligation to do the best for your team and the community. That's why every major league and its commissioner has serious vetting processes for people who want to buy franchises and cities who want to host them

SO no, Les can't just do whatever he wants. However the guy who did this deal is MOREY NOT LES ALEXANDER. And no way is this thing done. Bobby Jackson is old like Mutombo, there's got to be another leg to this thing to be done tomorrow

13. The Hungarian Rocket

Thats the truth. Or wait for a miracle (MM, Artest).

14. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

I looked on the NBA site and this is not listed as a Transaction. Is it really a done deal?

If so what is the deal? I can't look through 58 pages to find the supposed details. Is it Rasual Butler of the two young guys or someone else?

15. Badrose

Badrose Member

LA acquired Gasol for nothing
    Dallas acquired Kidd for almost nothing
    Atlanta acquired Bibby for nothing
    San Antonio acquired Kurt Thomas for nothing

Houston gets Bobby Jackson for Mike James, a guy who never had the opportunity to play more then garbage time this year, and Bonzi Wells, a very good multi-role backup. For what? I won't be surprised to see James in NOH starting lineup in the next few weeks.

I really hope to see another trade following this crap. Actually it almost looks like Gay/Battier trade: a stupid move.

16. hatemavs4life

hatemavs4life Member

No it made people laugh because your absolute assertion (like you are Kreskin or something)was SO ridiculous! :p

17. DignityExpense

Maybe the next trade will come

18. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

We had like 15 players with guaranteed contracts. Plus Landry is now unrestricted. Something has to give here.

The Bonzi rental ended too shortly.

19. mike_lu

mike_lu Member

Shrewd move by Morey.

Bonzi wasn't going to take less than a long term contract at $5m per year; I think we'd all rather spend part of the money locking in Landry and remaining flexible.

Bobby Jackson's not ideal, but we can package his $6m contract and smaller expiring contracts next year (eg Head/Francis) to get an NBA starter calibre player (~$7-10m, hopefully our 3rd scorer). Or if nothing exciting comes about, we can let it expire next season and be active in free agency. The plus with Jackson is that he knows Adelman's system, and can back-up the PG role which becomes even more important during the playoffs (probably too much for Brooks during rookie year, and Alston despite his improvement will likely still be inconsistent).

Also, what Morey's done is surround Yao and TMac's max contracts with good tradable, value-for-money players (Battier, Rafer, Scola, Hayes) and young rotation players with upside on rookie wage salaries (Brooks, Landry, Head, Novak).

After removing James, Mutumbo retiring, and letting Snyder and whoever we get back from New Orleans go, we will finally have salary cap room plus roster flexibility to let Morey do his thing this summer. Plus still be in the draft with a couple of draft picks.

20. R-Jay

R-Jay Member

i think this trade just expands our outside shooting and spacing. more pressure for tmac to drive to the basket and more space for yao to operate. Bobby Jackson will be a good addition to the locker room for his heart and character.. Bobby jackson 3 pt shooting thelast 2 games is excellent and he is a good defender to that could help. a savvyyy veteran and an incredible shooter as well as he is very familiar with RA's offense. Rockets vs NO hornets will be exciting come Friday night..

Let stop bashing and wait and watch as to the after trade effects.. chemistry wise, it wont be an issue, we have an excellent chemistry building coach in Rick Adelman