1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mavericks - Team in Turmoil

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by poprocks, Feb 17, 2008.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

I think the Mavs this year were as much a favorite as anyone else....now I think they are weaker.

I mean let Kidd shoot......

DD

2. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Kidd will make a bigger impact than you think. Having a skilled passer will improve their offense. Plus, his guts and fearlessness will rub off on the other players. Just having him in the game will change the tone of their team. You will see.

Kidd's lack of shooting prowess won't keep him out of the Hall of Fame. It also won't keep him from making the Mavs better. He is just what they need.

3. danny317

danny317 Member

dont want to hijack the thread but has nayone seen the picture of lebron dunking over dirk? (dirk is being hit in the face w/ lebron's forearm.) :D

4. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

But their depth sucks and they gave up 2 first round picks. This BETTER work for them. But I like the matchups better for the Rocks against the Mavs now than I did before.

5. poprocks

poprocks Member

Kidd's and Alston's assist stats aren't that different. They both suck at shooting so what am I missing here? The difference is that Kidd has a temper and runs his mouth off.

6. Major

Major Member

10 assists is similar to 5 assists?

7. Guru

Guru Member

Good post. Exactly what i was thinking.

8. poprocks

poprocks Member

9. Major

Major Member

Oh right. I forgot that the season consisted of 8 games. My bad!

10. poprocks

poprocks Member

LOL yeah but my pt is, Kidd doesn't bring the Mavericks that much over Alston. He might bring a few more assists but I guarantee you that Mav's fans will be groaning just as much as us whenever Kidd launches a 3 ptr lol.

11. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I think a part of me would have died if Cassell ever wore a Mavericks jersey.

12. poprocks

poprocks Member

Is it me or do Rockets fans hate on the Mavs a whole lot and respect our rivals down I-10?

13. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

14. poprocks

poprocks Member

By the way, the Mavs run a lot of isolation and they JET. I predict that Kidd's stats on assists are going way down. The system is not conducive to his game. He thrives in transition but the Mav's don't run that much. Historically, the Mav's have the leagues lowest assisted rates of baskets made. The high post iso's for Dirk and Josh Howard will still be their go to plays.

15. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Losing Diop will hurt because now Dampier becomes a key player. They can't throw him on the bench when he's awful. They could play smallball against some teams and put Dirk at C.

Giving up 2 picks could hurt in the future but they will be late picks.

This is a "win now" move for the Mavs.

poprocks, if you honestly don't see how much better Kidd is than Alston then you don't know much. It's more than just assists totals in the last few games. Plus, I think Kidd has been doing his "Vince Carter in Toronto" impression.

16. poprocks

poprocks Member

heh, I know how good Kidd is. I just think he's on the downside of his career. In Dallas his assists numbers will go down and you will hear the collective groans of the Mavericks faithful whenever he shoots. ;)

17. NightHawk

NightHawk Member

Sam Cassell once played for the Mavericks.

Devin Harris wasn't much of an outside shooter.

This trade makes them better right now. Im not sure how anyone could argue against that. Kidd is a major uprgrade over Devin Harris.

This trade was Devin Harris, DeSagana Diop and bunch of garbage for a guy that is close to averaging a triple double.

As far as their "window" is concerned Josh Howard, Dirk and Jason Terry are alll under 30 years old. As long as Dirk can be a guy that averages 25-10 they will be one of the elite teams in the NBA.

18. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

You wish (and I do too). :D

19. superden

superden Contributing Member

I really don't think this makes the Mavs a better team. I actually this makes them worse of with a marginal upgrade, if it is one at all.

1. Kidd is 34 with 2 years left on a ridiculously large contract.Obviously this will hurt them in the long run since they will no longer have a pg in a couple years and they just traded away 2 first round picks. Yah, they will be 2 low picks, but hey... I'll take that.

2. Kidd averages over 10 assists and 8 rebounds a game. The rebound would definitely be an advantage I believe, but if you watch the way the Mavs play, it is a lot of iso with Josh Howard and Dirk. Kidd will help them spark a lot of fast break points.

3. Kidd's defense isn't anything to talk about it.

I think they will have to change their system a bit to incorporate Kidd. They do not lose too much depth with this trade (now that they keep george and stack) but losing diop will hurt against teams with big/talented center (They will have problems with Phoenix, Houston, LAL, Spurs). You force Kidd to take the shot, playing off of Kidd. Force him to drive into the center or pass off to a double teamed Dirk. You can get Dirk frustrated if you play physical with him.

I don't know if this will help the Mavs, and if it does I believe it is marginal. they give up a part of their future by trading away Devin Harris and 2 draft picks. In my opinion, this is a bad trade but not nearly as bad as the one proposed before George blocked it.

20. MaxwellsTemper

That's exactly what I was thinking.

Kidd is a definite upgrade over either of the PGs they previously had on their roster, don't kid yourselves. But they lose depth and defense at 5. They wouldn't be pulling this trade of Harris for a guy that wasn't as good as him, give me a break.