1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mavericks - Team in Turmoil

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by poprocks, Feb 17, 2008.

1. poprocks

poprocks Member

The Mav's best scenario - Kidd meshes with the players and they win the championship.

Mav's most likely scenario. Kidd comes in, still dishes about 8 a game but cannot hit an outside shot. Our version of Rafer Alston. Mav's lose offensive punch as a result.

Center position - Mav's now hurting with an injury prone Dampier at center.

Power Forward - Dirk has to play more minutes with the loss of Diop. More likely, Juwan Howard will get a lot more minutes. :rolleyes:

Small Forward- Josh Howard - ok they are going to continue to be strong here.

Guards - Overall, I think they are giving up too much here with Stackhouse, George and Harris.

Sources say Mavs swingman Trenton Hassell and the retired Keith Van Horn will be plugged into the trade in place of Jerry Stackhouse and Devean George. If the newly proposed deal goes through, New Jersey would receive 24-year-old point guard Devin Harris, center DeSagana Diop, guard Maurice Ager, forwards Hassell and Van Horn, two first-round draft picks and $3 million in cash for Kidd and Nets forward Malik Allen.

To make up for the removal of George -- who blocked his inclusion by citing a little-known league rule that prevents certain players with one-year contracts from being traded without their consent -- Dallas has secured Van Horn's participation via sign-and-trade in George's place. Out of the game since the 2006 NBA Finals, Van Horn will be required to report to New Jersey and submit to a physical to complete the transaction, with sources adding that the amount Van Horn receives this season -- believed to be more than $4 million -- will not be pro-rated even though Van Horn would be joining the Nets with less than half the season remaining.

The Foursome of Howard, Kidd, Dirk, and Terry is actually kinda intimidating and Dampier can likely be good enough defensively to hold down the fort. As far as having any depth, the Mavericks have been severely depleted and I really don't think Kidd will help them that much.

2. NightHawk

NightHawk Member

Ager is complete garbage, Trenton Hassel is an average player.

Apparently Stackhouse isn't in the new deal.

Jason Kidd is an upgrade over Devin Harriss.

Biggest loss to the Mavs in the trade is losing thier backup center in Diop.

3. poprocks

poprocks Member

Does anyone else besides me believe that the Mav's are giving up too much for an aging over the hill pg?

4. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

We look like clowns continually mentioning how the Mavs now look less dangerous. The Mavericks made this deal with their eyes on the Suns, Spurs, Jazz, Lakers, Hornets, Celtics, Pistons. I don't even think they acknowledge us as a threat.

5. Asian Sensation

No. That "aging over the hill" pg has gives the Mavs a far better chance at a championship than Devin Harris.

6. hooroo

hooroo Member

Diop is a scrub. This was essentially a Harris for Kidd trade. With Kidd's record maybe he'll even make Dampier a scoring threat.

7. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Mavs are a better team for it, but they still will never win a ship with Dirka at the helm......

8. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Yep. As good as Kidd is he isn't exactly a clutch shooter and we all know that Dirk has to be surrounded by clutch shooters to mask his unclutchiness.

I still think Dallas is better after the trade but the core of that team has to still be haunted by the ghosts of playoffs past. I don't see them getting the monkey off of their backs regardless of who they trade for.

9. rock8ts

rock8ts Member

not to mention....

morale... losing more people for one old guy...

10. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

Good, I hope none of them, including the Mavs see us as a threat. Then they won't be focused on us as much when we come in to play them in the last part of the season.

In the playoffs, I hope they all look past us as well. Because I know our team isn't going to be looking past anyone.

:)

11. Nelly

Nelly Contributing Member

Dude you just compared Jason Kidd to Rafer Alston....

12. apocclass

apocclass Member

this definitely makes them better.... especially now that they get to keep stackhouse.

true kidd can't shoot, but he is great at so many other things. i do believe the mismatches and advantage they had over the spurs may be gone, but there is no question they are a better team with kidd. damnit its so unfair that the west is this good.

13. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

That over the hill guard is still averaging over 10 assists and 8 rebounds per game.

14. awo86

awo86 Rookie

from the rocket's standpoint though, I really dun think they will fare against us better though. for our type of defense, we actually welcome horrible shooters at the PG position. look at how d.will burn us last yr. i think with kidd, rafer's job is going to be easier and luther head will not get burned by devin harris. not to mention yao can attack more easily with diop out. its favorble for us

15. tsunami

tsunami Member

you underrate kidd to a ridiculous level.

16. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm glad they didn't get Cassell.

17. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That's a good call, I would be really scared if that happened....

WE NEED SAMMY!!!!

18. SpiffyRifi

SpiffyRifi Member

As they get to keep George and Stackhouse makes this a great deal for them (at least in the short run). They upgrade their point guard (again in the short run) and really only give up a little depth at their already weak center position. Diop didn't do much for them, so its not a huge loss for them. The only reason the last trade would've been bad for them is because they were going to "lose" Stackhouse...now they don't even have to chance that. I think this makes Dallas formidable for this season and maybe next season...after that, they're going to be pretty bad though. However, I still don't think they can win it all...or even get out of the west for that matter. That being said, they have become much harder for the Rockets to deal with.

19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

As evidenced by all the championships Jason Kidd has won to date....which is a grand total of.......ah.....ZERO !!

This is a horrible trade.....great for the Rockets.

Cuban panicked....they should have won 2 years ago, and just got unlucky in last year's playoffs running into a hot GS team.

The Mavs just blew their chances.......which is GREAT news for the Rockets.

DD

20. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

The Mavs definitely were not going to win a championship standing pat. They missed their opportunity. This trade increases their chances but I still doubt they win it all. Avery Johnson finally has a PG he can trust.