1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can former Rocket Eric Gordon and the Suns bounce back against the Timberwolves? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

If feud with Stern escalates, Cuban will sell the Mavs

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Rocketability, Jan 18, 2002.

1. Rocketability

Rocketability Member

2. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

Don't do it Mark!! Stand your ground!

3. gettinbranded

gettinbranded Member

If Mark succeeds in his quest, the NBA will be the better for it. If he leaves, all fans will have lost.

4. Rocketability

Rocketability Member

I don't think he's serious when he said he will sell the Mavs. I guess he's saying the NBA is a game for a few executives, not for the fans. Mark is the man for the fact that he really stands firm from the fans' perspectives.

5. DREAMer

DREAMer Member

If Mark Cuban were to star in a re-make of the movie "Twins", he'd play the part of Swarzeneggar, and Bud Adams would play the part played by Danny Devito.

Except the ending would be different. They would travel to Houston, where Bud would be beaten to death by a throng of fans for his crimes against humanity.

6. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think this is just another ploy. He might not necessarily sell the team if Stern attempted to get the Mavs to give up draft picks.

What Cuban has done here is brilliant, however. He set Stern up. If Stern ever decides to take draft picks from the team for a silly reason, everyone will immediately assume it is personal, because Cuban has already labeled it as such beforehand. Hopeufully it will make Stern think twice before putting his hand in the fire like that.

7. getsmartnow

getsmartnow Contributing Member

I doubt he will sell up. But if he does, I hope he comes Down Under and buys the NBL. Damn, we could use someone like him right about now...

8. MoonBus

MoonBus Contributing Member

So why even bring it up? Like Raven Lunatic says, it's a ploy Cuban is implementing. He is trying to get more fan support and paint an even darker picture of Stern. Personally, I don't care much for Stern, but Cuban is acting a bit childish here.

Seriously, who in their right mind will support such a penalty as 'forfeiting draft picks'. All the penalty that Cuban had paid previously does not have a "direct" impact on the Mavs, forfeting draft picks will. 'Rude' statements made by Cuban regarding the officiating can not be considered as a "team" thing, hence, I don't see how Stern can or will even consider taking away draft picks.

Cuban, if you want to continue fighting the battle for better officiating, I am all for you, but don't use the old "if you do this or that, then I am going home" crap, it just makes you look like your diaper is leaking.

9. TexasG

TexasG Member

I personally think it was very smart of Cuban to say that he would sell the team if Stern started taking away draft picks. He stated that taking away draft picks would make it clear that Stern's beef is personal, and that it would effect the MAVS ability to compete, and the fans ability to enjoy the game. It would also effect his (Cuban) ability to run a successful business. As a MAVS fan I totally agree. He also stated that Stern would not like what he would do if he was forced to sell the team. He would more than likely take Stern to court for sabatoging his business. My guess is that Cuban would make every bit of the money he has ever been fined back, and then some.

10. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

I would give Cuban $20 just to keep up the ref comments. He's right on target with all of his statements, even if he is acting childish.

11. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Contributing Member

While I agree Cuban has ensured that Stern will only take away picks for an extreme violation of NBA policy, he has however, painted a big target on himself & the team.

For instance, Stern can ensure that Dallas gets no nationally televised games, he can influence the Mavericks schedule (read as lots of back to backs & wierd start times), if any of the players violate NBA policies, he might come down harder on them in the form of fines & suspensions, if Dallas ever needs the support of the NBA in getting a new arena, Stern might hold that back, & Stern could influence changes in the officiating so that the Mavericks get called for ticky tack fouls all the time.

The bottom line is that Cuban is making this a one man (or team) crusade. He should be making every effort to rally the other team owners to join his cause, then he wouldn't be such an easy target. If he keeps his rants up & has no support from the other team owners, eventually, the press & fans will turn a deaf ear to him.

12. insideout

insideout Contributing Member

If Stern does all those things intentionally, there are always lots of attorneys around. :)

As for it being a one-man crusade.. Cuban is the only guy able to do this, with his deep pockets. He's not going to play by the rules... and I agree with him. Talking to other owners behind the doors means playing by their rules, their leveraging system, and their strengths.

It's just like businesses. Businesses are required, for the benefit of the customers, to have their primary operating information (books) be transparent, adhering to accounting and political regulations. The NBA, as a business, should be a little more communicative with its customers (fans) regarding certain policies that directly affect the product (games) like officiating. We are, in essence, all are stakeholders in the big bad corporate world of the NBA.

Go Cuban. If you yell loud enough and long enough, something's gonna happen.

13. mrpaige

mrpaige Contributing Member

How long do you think Stern is going to be the Commish? He'll be around 92 when the Mav's current lease ends.

14. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Contributing Member

You missed the point of my post. I don't know what the Maverick's arena situation is. All I'm pointing out, is that Stern can do all sorts of things, besides take away draft picks, within the parameters of his powers to jack with Cuban & eventually make Cuban look like a whiner. Cuban needs to get the support of the other owners if he wants to effect reform in the officiating practices.

Insideout,

Are you saying that you think Cuban has more money than the other owners? I wouldn't bank on that. Have you ever heard the saying that there's safety in numbers? A man standing by himself, is an easy target. The NBA is big business & doesn't need Cuban to survive. Stern, whether we like it or not is a very powerful executive & until the owners (who pay his salary) get together to give Stern instructions on the direction they want the NBA to go, nothings going to change. If Cuban keeps making noise with no support network, he'll eventually be labeled as a trouble maker & forced out. The fans don't count, because he'll never be able to get them to boycott the games. The only way that the NBA, or any pro sports teams, will listen to the fans, is to hit them in the pocketbook. Cuban needs to rally the owners together by showing them how changes could make them greater profits, then they'll listen.

I'm not against Cuban, I'm just saying that he needs to watch his back. By publicly stating that taking picks away would cause him to sell the team, he did put the monkey on Stern's back, but he also told Stern exactly how to get rid of him. Does anyone think Stern will give a rat's a** about his perceived image with the public? Would the fans of the NBA rally around Cuban if it happened? Maybe the Maverick's fans would, but I doubt that many other team's fans would. As long as Stern continues to make profits for the owners, he'll be bullet proof from them. After all, for most of the owners it's a business investment & I suspect that very few of them have the fan's passion for the game that Cuban has.

15. Rocketability

Rocketability Member

Sad but True!

16. mrpaige

mrpaige Contributing Member

I got your point, I was just commenting on one of your examples.