1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Spurs run is over

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by 101 6 7, Feb 12, 2008.

1. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

The big question is can any of these teams score on the Spurs in the 4th quarter of a big game? Regardless of age, mileage or injury they still master this part of the game.

2. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

Perhaps impact and numbers wise you may be right, but in a close and important game there's no underestimating the persuasive effect that a b****y whiny face like Duncan's can have on officiating crews.

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Yes, that is true, but Yao is learning.

:D

DD

4. MaxwellsTemper

I'm obviously a big time Yao fan.. but you didn't factor in defense. Yao occasionally is taken OUT of games for defensive possessions at the end of games... you'd never see the Spurs do that. Defense is half the game, and while blocks is minor part of that.. I think that Duncan is still very much superior to Yao.

5. madmonkey37

madmonkey37 Contributing Member

The reason why they usually take him out, is so they can switch everybody on defense at the end. The opposing team will aways make Yao defend the pick and roll when the game is on the line, and hes just too big to switch on a PnR.

6. MaxwellsTemper

I know why they switch him out. And teams make Yao defend the pick and roll because they know he can't. You still wouldn't see the Spurs doing that, because he is THE crucial piece to their defense.

7. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Or his passing. Duncan makes the Spurs halfcourt offense go from the high post when he isn't on the block.

Also, Duncan raises his game significantly in the postseason, usually at least by the 2 ppg difference DD is saying demonstrates that Yao is better in scoring.
    Duncan regular seasons, from fall 2001 - spring 2007: 21.7 ppg
    Duncan postseasons, same time period: 24.3
    only one time did his scoring not increase(2003-2004)

Yao has only 3 seasons where he made the postseason, so it's not fair to draw conclusions, but currently for those 3, he went from 20.2 ppg to 20.5 ppg (last year it was 25.0 to 25.1).

If you want to annoit Yao as having surpassed Duncan, he needs to do it in the spring. Lord knows we didn't give Shaq the nod over Dream while he was still ringless.

Evan

8. 101 6 7

101 6 7 Member

Building up a champion
    Popovich-led Spurs playing with eye toward playoffs
    Posted: Tuesday February 12, 2008 2:04PM; Updated: Tuesday February 12, 2008 2:16PM

When you've been been singing the same songs year after year like Springsteen has done, or reading the same lines of Shakespeare as Olivier used to do, or coaching the same principles for a dozen seasons as Gregg Popovich is doing today in San Antonio, doesn't the work grow tiresome? How do you find new perspective and inspiration from the same simple job performed a thousand times already?

Olivier is no longer with us and Springsteen was unavailable to comment, but here is Popovich at 59. His defending champion Spurs are the NBA's oldest team, dealing with injuries and fatigue and new potential challenges from the reinvented Lakers, Suns and Celtics, and never mind the Mavericks, Pistons, Jazz, Nuggets and Hornets.

"They've been through it so much and they know how difficult it is,'' Popovich said of his players and their pursuit of Tim Duncan's fifth championship. "They know that peaking early or being super-excited early is really fool's gold. If people know how difficult it is, then you really don't want to face it until you have to face it. And you do what you have to do to hang in there, but you're not going to let all stops go until it's time to do it. Because it's a tough road.''

Let's say the Spurs are operating at maybe 75 percent of capacity. Yet in the playoffs -- if they're able to recreate their play of last spring -- they'll suddenly look as hungry as a team that's never won anything. This is not to say that they're coasting through the regular season. They are instead building toward the postseason.

There must be many secrets to remaining young as the work grows old, and for Popovich one fundamental principle is to view the 82-game schedule as a lab of experiment. As few other coaches are able or willing to do, he turns NBA games into high-intensity practices. He assembles odd lineups to see how well they mix together in a variety of situations. Just now Matt Bonner has been benched in the middle of a fine season in order to provide minutes to Robert Horry, to learn what he can do. To see the Spurs play in February is to be invited behind the curtains to their rehearsal for the playoffs. This is the way Popovich has been running the Spurs since their first championship season after the lockout in 1999.

"I always felt that what was most important going into the playoffs was our health and our energy,'' he said. "At that point [in 1999], David [Robinson] was on the backside of his career, and so it was important to make sure that we didn't overplay him. Avery [Johnson] was on the backside of his career, Mario Elie was on the backside of his career, Sean Elliott was on the backside of his career. So from the beginning our concern has been on our health and energy, and then with that trying to be playing the best basketball we could play. And that always meant keeping minutes down, and taking the hits now and then if you're going to lose a game because of it -- but to have all of those things in place for the playoffs. It's not something that I manufactured, but something that seemed like the way it had to be done because of the personnel.

"And now it's pretty similar with Timmy and Horry and Bruce [Bowen] and Fin [Michael Finley] -- these guys are older now. It's still the same dynamic.''

And yet at least twice last year Popovich publicly wondered if he had lost the attention of his team, if it had grown tired of his demands. "I said it when we were 14th in the league in field-goal-percentage defense,'' he said. "It was both an honest and a dishonest statement at the same time. Because on the one hand we were playing so inconsistently defensively, and since that's who we are, I had to be wondering if they were still listening or if the message had gotten old and they were taking me for granted or they're tired of hearing it. And that was the honest part.

"The dishonest part was I thought it would still be good to mention publicly, to give them a little kick in the pants as a group -- not to anybody individually -- to realize that, hey, you guys are way off the mark. And in that sense possibly they would listen to what was going on.''

Look where the Spurs are today: ranked 14th in field-goal-percentage defense. Asked if his team should be judged based on its current play, Popovich admitted, "Probably not.''

It's important to emphasize that the Spurs aren't throwing games, and that they aren't trying to survive the schedule or wish away the regular season. They take on the aggressive marathoner's approach of trying to build toward an ultimate challenge.

Popovich keeps himself fresh by dictating the terms. He views the regular season from his iconoclastic perspective. He doesn't appear to embrace the celebrity of his success, but instead puts it to work in a different way.

"What's fun are the practices and the games,'' he said. "And the other thing is that you have a hammer in the community. You can get some things done if you have a desire for helping a certain organization because of the notoriety, because that's the way our society is built. If Joe Blow comes off the street and wants to try to help someone, they might not even listen to that guy or gal. But for us, that recognition that we have helps us have an impact.

"We've had the [Spurs] Drug-Free League we've been working since the early '90s when I was with Larry [Brown, who was head coach]. It started with over 200 kids and now we've got over 20,000. We play all over Texas, we've started the same league in some other NBA cities. They make a pledge about being drug- and alcohol-free, and they have to obey certain rules. The coaches are all trained before they're allowed to coach the kids. We've fired coaches because they don't get it, because they think it's about winning or beating up on the other team by pressing them for the entire game. Well, they're not allowed to do that kind of crap.

"And then we have [Roy Maas'] Youth Alternatives, for kids who have been sexually or physically abused and they have to get taken out of the home. You talk to some of those kids, and you realize how blessed you are, how much you take life for granted and how many people out there -- more than one would think -- seem to have it bad than have it good. I'm starting to think the good is the aberration, and the bad is out there but we all just ignore it, we don't want to see it, that it's better not to see it because it makes you uncomfortable all day long.''

The perspective of a dozen years in charge has made the work more satisfying. Last summer, Popovich said, "was the first time I told Timmy and Tony [Parker], Manu [Ginobili] and Bruce -- guys that had been here -- I said, 'We're going to enjoy this one. Every time we talk to each other or see each other this summer or you're with each other, I want you to say, wow, wasn't that great? We want to laugh and say, hey, we won another one, and just enjoy the hell out of it all summer. And then the first day of camp, we're all going to forget it and put it behind us. But until then we're going to soak it up and enjoy it every day.'

"And it's really the first one we did it that way with. We had just focused on the next year and the next year and the next year. But we took time and enjoyed that one thoroughly without a doubt."

If the Spurs win for a fifth time this June, they'll surely be asked which title is "the sweetest.'' Maybe the answer is that they've grown more comfortable with winning as they've grown older together.

"Now we've forgotten it,'' Popovich said of last year's success. "If we hadn't forgotten it, all the teams that are playing well right now -- both East and West -- would make us forget it real quick. Because there's, what, seven or eight or nine teams that could win this thing."

But one team knows better than all the others how to win it.

Sports Illustrated

9. ico4498

ico4498 Member
    Supporting Member

writing off SA is silly ...

that said, GO ROCKETS!

10. Sextuple Double

Please lets not be stupid here. They are the Spurs. They are ruled dead every year, yet they stay finishing at .700 or above. No matter what, the championship ALWAYS runs thru San Antonio. Even the mighty Lakers had to take out the Spurs before going for the crown(except once, and Duncan was out that year), as did Dallas in their failed attempt. I'm not ready to place Yao ahead of Duncan just yet.

I can't believe dudes here are buying into exactly what the Spurs want us to buy into as they have been doing since 1999 which is play under the radar and have everyone rule them dead and no longer a serious threat.

DD you have severely disappointed me with that Yao surpassing Duncan comment. Duncan has been All-Defense EVERY year since joining the league, perennial MVP candidate EVERY year. What on God's green earth possessed you to make such a dumbfounded comment!? Even right now at their current stages in their career Yao right now can tie Duncan's shoe laces. It's not to say Duncan has fallen off like Shaq.

They're cruising right now. A few losses here and there isn't cause for alarm, especially when your starting PG is named Jacque Vaughn.

11. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

I agree w/ what most say here. The Spurs run is not over until they are eliminated from the playoffs. Do not underestimate them before then.

Just like any well-oiled dynasty machine, this team doesn't concern themselves w/ the season as much as making sure they start peaking come playoff time. I know the playoff race is tight, from 1-8, but until the Spurs start edging toward the cusp of the 8th/9th seed I wouldn't make any grand statements.

12. kpsta

kpsta Contributing Member

While the defense factor is fairly big, Duncan is considerably more of a liability at the free throw line than Yao. Not to say that, at a hair under 70%, Duncan is Shaq-bad at the line... just that Yao is that good (roughly 85%). So that is somewhat of a mitigating factor.