1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why are the lower bowl crowds so bad? I will tell you.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Blurr#7, Feb 10, 2008.

Tags:
  1. JD2010

JD2010 Member

The rowdies are in the lower bowl.. lol
    i agree through alot of people are on their cell phones just talking it up and not even paying attention to the game

2. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

It's not like that in Detroit. At least it hasn't been the times I have been there. I will say in Indiana it was sad how many seats where open, but in Detroit even the "corporate" seats were mostly filled the whole game. I know cause I sit in them there.

3. aznboi

aznboi Contributing Member

dude, I don't even live in Texas and I knew that years ago.

4. Yaozer

Yaozer Member

Yeah.. it's especially bad in New York and Sacramento

5. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

WTF its bad in Sacramento?

6. T-mac&Yao=RING

T-mac&Yao=RING Contributing Member

You best me to it I was about to say the same thing.

7. Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets Contributing Member

Not in DC. I was at the Wizards game last month, sitting a few rows behind the Wizards' bench. Those seats were stuffed with hardcore Wizards fans, not a single executive meeting in sight...

8. JD2010

JD2010 Member

Yeah ive seen those wizard fans.
    Losing alot lately and people still support them like crazy. If Houston lost like 7 straight the attendance would be down to like 13,000 lol

9. EssTooKayTD

EssTooKayTD Contributing Member

I think the Rockets organization is ok with upsetting a few fans that come to 3-4 games per year, when it comes to getting people that buy season tickets every season as one of the tools they use to entertain their clients.

Houston is full of businessses that do this.

10. LAYGO

LAYGO Contributing Member

HOLY CRAP! Everything? My woman is in SAC now & won't be back for another 5 months.

But, I got League Pass this year & SAC's announcers are THE LEAGUE'S WORST, but they suit the residents of SAC. No joke, SAC is like FL of CA. All old people, handicapped people, both physically & mentally. It's just blah there.

I know, I go visit again 2/29 - 3/4.

11. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

Most hometown announcers are bad because they are such homers.
    I think my favorite announcer is Jeff Van Gundy. He's just too funny.

12. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

In further news, Hillary Clinton has ambitions for the White House.

13. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

Every coin has two sides...

I have a friend with seasons' tickets and was at the Cavs game in Sec 109 Row 19. Very few of the people around me were "suits". The vast majority were 20-somethings who spent a large amount of time on their cell phones.

The seats were near an aisle and there was a continous flow of younger fans up and down the aisle the whole game. It was distracting to say the least. Obviously, my experience won't change the stereotype of who sits in the lower bowl...but they are a factual.

I get really tired of reading the "true fan" BS. It's entertainment. There's a reason the Palace isn't in downtown Detroit and I'm unconvinced that the Summit wasn't just as loud and packed when the Rockets were as elite as the Pistons are currently.

On the surface, I'd be in favor of letting other sections move down after the half. But from what I just experienced, it would be a nightmare to police.

14. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

They should give out freebies that are only available when you are in your seat when the game starts.

15. EssTooKayTD

EssTooKayTD Contributing Member

They have the free items to the first XX,000 fans on some nights. I suppose that is to get people to come earlier.

16. 2deep

2deep Contributing Member

Not defending the un"Rowdie"ness of lower bowl fans BUT you must realize that the majority of the teams income comes from selling the season tickets down around the court. While there are some individuals with the resources to purchase those tickets the majority are corporations. Being part of a business that has 6 tickets valued at $285, I know the thinking of the other owners is...if we're making an over 70,000 investment, we're going to enjoy the games anyway we please....

Not saying that it is excusable to tell anyone to sit down or be quiet or anything of that nature but if the people around you aren't as excited as you are...big deal, let them be. I've outlined this in a previous thread but once again, you can think of it as two different type of contributions. You as a dedicated hardcore fan donate your time and excitement to the atmosphere. While that is important, equally as important is the millions of dollars the lower bowl season ticket holders contribute. How else do you think Les could afford to pay Battier 6.8 million dollars next season, or offer Landry a 4 yr 10 million dollar extension this offseason (hopefully ;) )

Bottom line is, i agree that other venues appear to be more lively in the lower section than the ToyBox but unless you are willing to put up the money to purchase those seats down low, you have no basis for criticizing those that do.

17. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Do other teams not do this? I don't understand why this is a particular problem for the Rockets.

18. Pass 1st shoot 2nd

Pass 1st shoot 2nd Contributing Member

19. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

It's the Cable and ABC TV contracts that makes it possible to pay those ridiculous player contracts.

20. Sextuple Double

Upper class snobs should just donate their seats to most of us middle/lower class ppl who root and cheer on their team to the very end instead of trying to be seen on camera.