1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Game 3 between the Knicks and Pacers in Indiana. Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Your first autograph?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by aka ace, Feb 9, 2008.

1. JuLiO-R-

JuLiO-R- Contributing Member

I have never really asked for an autograph. I feel like I would be bothering them too much. I met Shane Reynolds for the second time last week, and didn't bother asking for an autograph.

2. Rizzy

Rizzy Member

Charles Barkley back in '98? before he got super fat. I was standing in the concession line with my uncle at AMC 24 in Sugar Land and he came up right behind me. I guess I was the only person that recognized him because people were walking past him like he was any other person.

He was surprisingly nice about it and even told me that a deal for Pippen was in the works.

ok, the last part is a lie but it would've been cool

3. bigbadjon_e

bigbadjon_e Member

When I was little my mom was a bartender at the old Black Eyed Pea that was near Richmond and 610 (by Luling City Market.) The Rockets used to eat there all of the time due to its close proximity to the Summit. She brought home autographs from Robert Reid, Ralph Sampson, Craig Ehlo, Jim Peterson, John Lucas, etc. Since she started bringing them home to me when I was around 5, I wasn't responsible enough to hang on to them. Currently, I hold a xerox copy of a Clyde Drexler credit card receipt from what was Cafe Noche. My good friend Jasmine got it for me when she was waiting tables there.

4. TreeRollins

TreeRollins Contributing Member

My first autograph was Chris Dishman from the Oilers days

5. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Mickey Mantle at the opening of Mickey Mantle's Country Cookin' restaurant in Longview TX about 1966. Either that or The Cisco Kid at El Chico's.

Asking for autographs, like Trick or Treating should cease at around 12 years of age.

6. inler

inler Contributing Member

i got robert reid at a quick copy that opened near my house. it closed after a couple years. i didn't know who he was when i got the autograph, but then again i was like 10

7. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

My parents got Drexler's autograph on the back of my mom's checkbook at a Fuddrucker's. I guess Clyde had a thing for crappy food, what with Drexler's Barbecue and all.

8. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

It was either Pig Miller or the Wizard (can't remember which, they signed my hat consecutively). Signed going into the tunnel at halftime at the Oakland Arena.

9. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Lauryn Hill with the Fugees before she went solo and crazy. Then (sorry Swoly-D for mentioning a '2nd' instance :eek: ) Wyclef Jean afterward. Was gonna tell Wyclef something while getting his autograph but forgot to... I walked away, then remembered and walked back. He must have thought I was trying to get "extra" from, because he gave me a reeeaal condescending look like "man I signed, NOW what?" and put his hand out for a handshake. To myself I was like huh, I didnt want that? I awkwardly shook his hand anyway like he "thought" I wanted, told him "thanks, great show" and walked off...

Havent gotten an autograph since. I only did that because my ride home was taking long and wanted something to do to fill time..I dont feel that comfortable asking for an autograph or picture from someone.

10. tulexan

tulexan Member

Not a huge fan of autographs. I feel meeting someone and the conversation with them is more memorable than a signed piece of crap.

11. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

I think the first for me was either Robert Reid at the Sharpstown mall, or Carl & Carol Lewis at the Summit during a Rockets game.

Both were around the same time frame, but I don't remember which was first.

Sue me, Swoly.

12. Bag0b0y

Bag0b0y Member

got a cool David carr/warren moon auto................from ebay..... :D

13. Lady_Di

Lady_Di Contributing Member

I don't even remember my first autograph. :(

I've gotten autographs from Tina Thompson, Coach Chancellor, Kerry (the Democrat presidential candidate in 2004) and some few others. I couldn't get autographs from the Rockets because it wasn't permitted for Rockets employees. :( BOOOO!

14. surrender

surrender Member

Mercury Morris, of all people. He spoke at my elementary school (in Miami) during a D.A.R.E. event, and he signed a bunch of calendars for the students.

15. david12sfa

david12sfa Member

Roger Clemens

Back in the mid 80's he was signing autographs at the Texan Ford Dealership in Katy. He seemed like a nice guy, smiled and talked to me for a second. Pretty cool for a kid in 6th grade.

on another note. Was walking down the street in Amsterdam right next to Rasheed Wallace and his posse this past summer. Cant imaging what he was doing in the Red Light District :D

16. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Almost all of the 1989 Astros. Went to a game for a friends birthday at the Dome. Afterwards, my friend's dad took us to the player parking lot. We got nearly everyone on the team at the time on the roster from the media guide...Biggio, Cammy, Glen Davis (my favorite at the time), etc., etc.

Naturally, I've lost that page. I searched my parents house but to no avail.

EDIT: Actually, I forgot one just before that. I went to Duke Soccer Camp and my aunt took me to a Durham Bulls game (not long after the film was made). I got Steve Avery's autograph (later of the Braves, etc). Still have the ball, but the autograph faded years ago.

#56 leroy, Feb 12, 2008
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2008
  17. rocketsinsider

last summer at tmac's softball game got my francis jersey signed by jermane o'neal, luther head, francis, big baby, mike james, chuck hayes, james posey and a few others (can't think of all of them right now).
    But no TMAC :(

18. BigSherv

BigSherv Contributing Member

I think I was in 7th or 8th grade and Cammi was signing autographs at an Academy that had just opened up. I was so excited. When I got up there I said, "My Caminiti, can you put your number on the ball please?" He said "Sure buddy", then proceeded to put only a number 11 on it, handed it back to me, cupped his hands around his mouth and yelled, "NEXT!" I looked at him in shock. Where was the autograph? I had stood in line for so long. "He looks at me and says, I am just messing with you kid." He signs it and he gets a big laugh with that dorky douche bag who used to do the pregame, halftime and post game for the Rockets games prior to Lisa Maloski joining channel 20. It was great though. I still have the ball somewhere.

edit: I found out his name Bruce Gietzen
    [​IMG]

"Hi my name is Bruce, and I am such a douche bag that I only get off by laughing at 11 year old boys."

#58 BigSherv, Feb 12, 2008
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2008
  19. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

i prefer pictures now over autographs

but when I was a kid the first autograph I got was from Mark Jackson when he was still playing with the clippers. It was on a 92-93 upper deck basketball card. He signed it MJ13. He almost stole my sharpie too! I had to yell at him to get it back.

20. BigSherv

BigSherv Contributing Member

I kind of think autographs are kid's thing so I don't bother celebs when and if I see them. However I think it is great how Ausmus made it is his goal to stay out of the dugout until every kid wanting his get his. I have seen it on numerous occasion. It is great that he does this.