1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What do we need to get to Championship level - forget the playoffs

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BackNthDay, Feb 7, 2008.

1. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

Let's be realistic, this team as currently constructed is not going to compete for the NBA Title. Best case scenario is playoffs and 1st round upset. Definitely don't see us getting outside the 2nd round.

As a result, what would you recommend to get us to the championship level before Yao's time expires

My recommendations:
    1. I would trade Tmac, MJ, and Luther for JKidd and Jefferson. New Jersey isn't going anywhere and Jefferson will leave New Jersey once Kidd is gone anyway.
    * Our bball IQ goes through the roof - young players learning from all star veterans.
    * Keeps us competitive in every game
    * Provides matchup problems
    * Provides Yao with easy scoring opportunities
    * Team defense improves dramatically with Jefferson's ability to play team D compared to Tmac
    * Yao demeanor will change with Jkidd at the point

2. Pickup Gerald Green (develop into SG), high talent and can learn from Battier, Jefferson, and Kidd
    * Has the potential to develop into a very nice player

3. Continue developing Landry, Scola, and Aaron Brooks - Do not trade

4. Do not trade for Artest or any other knucklehead. Bonzi has this covered by himself

5. Develop Novak into a Kyle Korver or trade/release him. Novak is in year 3 and we need to see more

6. Pickup Charlie Villaneuva, very talented young SF who can play at a high level. I think it's important to develop your younger talent by pairing with veterans like Jkidd, Battier, and Jefferson who prepare and understand the game.

IMHO, I think the above gets us closer.

2. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

We'd need to get in the playoffs, advance past the 1st round, advance past the 2nd round, advance past the WCF, and win the NBA Finals. Bam! Championship level right there.

3. bronx43

bronx43 Member

Keep in mind that Kidd is 35 years old. You can't wait for Gerald Green or the other guys to develop into a championship caliber supporting cast. If you trade for Kidd, you narrow your window by a few more years.

4. Yaozer

Yaozer Member

Not to mention Draft well. In Morey I trust.

5. drich

drich Member

with kidd you will have this year and next year Say No To Drugs (sorry meant to say Kidd) :D

6. rocket3forlife2

yep forget trying to get to the 2nd round I want the whole pie....If your not trying to win the whole thing every year you don't need to be playing.

7. dewster

dewster Member

i just hope when nba 2k9 comes out its gonna be either yao ming or t-mac on the cover. cuz we will win the championship.

8. famicom

famicom Member

What we need to do is catch FIRE! If we can become that well-oiled machine, I think we have a good chance. Just look at some recents winners...the Giants and the Heat. They weren't spectacular teams, but if you play well at the right time we can bring this trophy back home!

9. Jelle

Jelle Rookie

I hope in NBA 2k9 they have Carl Landry in it, the commentators say Scola instead of number 14, they have the new court which they have since this year and Cassell is on the team + last but not least....A THIRD BANNER !!

10. ColomboLQ

ColomboLQ Member

We need a third scorer and a more reliable PG. It could be one dude or it could be two guys. Drafting a player like Gerald Henderson will help a lot.

11. abigwreck

abigwreck Member

Its delusional to think that RJ is going to leave the nets after having a career year and is the only piece of their big 3 puzzle that they DON'T want to part with.

12. wireonfire

wireonfire Contributing Member

Charlie Villaneuva is very talented on the offensive end, but he is no SF. He sucks on defense, not big enough to defend premier PFs, too slow for quick SFs too.

13. wireonfire

wireonfire Contributing Member

You can't develop Novak into Kyle Korver. Korver is athletic for a white player. Novak is much slower.

14. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

Keep Yao and Tmac. More team chemistry. A very reliable 3rd scorer, either through trades (Mike Miller?), or maybe Scola or Landry develops exponentially faster. We need all of the above.

15. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

a) We need a tall player who can pass the ball into Yao Ming
    b) We need a back up Center
    c) We need to get rid of the dead wood (Morey Mistakes)
    d) We need another sharp shooter .
    e) We need a Playmaker point Guard
    We could solve a and e by McGrady becoming our starting Point Guard. :p

16. solid

solid Contributing Member

I am really of the opinion that TMac should be traded for three solid role players that can hit the outside shot consistently. Rebuild the team around Yao and let the chips fall where they may. The current ship is rudderless, going in circles. And I think Yao knows it. Time for a bold move.

17. X-PAC

X-PAC Contributing Member

I wouldn't trade Mcgrady. Despite the injuries during the season he never missed a playoff game. That said this organization has done a poor job finding another star to help this team when the EVENTUALITY of Yao and/or Mcgrady going down will always be there.

18. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

Charlie Villanueva and Gerald Green should never be mentioned in any thread about championship aspirations.

19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

What do you mean "for a white player"?

Please explain.

DD

20. Yaozer

Yaozer Member

I hope we won't just be a fluke like the Heat. If we win, I expect us to be defending it for the next 2-3 years at the least. Although at this point, I'd take just one championship for the time being.