1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Help with Supplements

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Rox_fan_here, Feb 5, 2008.

Tags:
  1. Rox_fan_here

Rox_fan_here Contributing Member

Hey guys. To begin I am overweight. I think right now Im at like 23% bodyfat, Im 5'11 and weigh 215. People who meet me are shocked when I tell them because of my genetics I have really broad shoulders and in clothes look really fit. I'm finally working out again and feeling great. I am on the Body for Life program www.bodyforlife.com. Basically I do weight training (upper body) on day one, cardio on day two, weight training (lower body) on day three and repeat resting the 7th day.

Im eating 5-6 small meals a day each including a protein and complex carb in each meal as well as replacing 2 of those meals with myoplex original and myoplex light.

My question is, are there other supplements that I could take that others recommend from personal experience? What about vitamins? I am looking really to slim down and cut the body fat as well as build muscle and get cut. Based on my body type described above and my ultimate goal what would you guys recommend? Creatine, Hydroxycut, other... Any advice would be great. Thanks in advance guys.

2. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

ECA stack. Google it. I'm on it now. 4 lbs in 1 week. But it's not magic. You REALLY have to work hard everyday with reduced caloric intake. The stack keeps me going on days I can't give 100%.

3. Asian Sensation

Cocaine, Crack, Rocks, E bombs, and Adderrall. JK. I say your on the right track in terms of eating properly. However, I'd say do cardio everyday (at least 20-30mins if your beginner and steadily increase) instead of just every other day. It's important you are actually sweating. Besides if you lose weight from the cardio you will look more ripped and lean from the loss of fat since I assume you have a pretty good frame.

4. Rox_fan_here

Ephedrine has never really affected me that much. When I used to take Ephedrine based products I would get sleepy. Do you think this will work for me?

5. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

CoEnzyme Q10 (100-200mg) -- an antioxidant that supports cell regrowth and maintenance. produced naturally in our bodies, but diminishes with age. also known as the "anti-aging" drug. good energy producer.

Conjugated Linoleic Acid (100mg) -- a lipid, or fatty acid found in beef, lamb, turkey, cheese, and milk (foods we need to eat in moderation). prevents lipogenesis, or fat storage, previous to meals. boosts metabolism and support immunity as well.

Bee Pollen (500-1000mg) -- rich in B vitamins, supports cardiovascular health by strengthening capillaries, amino acid heavy for protein, and also another great immunity booster. allergic reactions are possible, so introduce it to your diet slowly.

Holy Basil (500mg) -- a mood elevator/stress regulator. maintains even blood pressure and prevents cortisol buildup (stress hormone that causes us to consume and store more fat)

Omega 3-6-9 acid (fish oil/flax seed) -- good for cardiovascular efficiency, maintaining healthy looking skin, hair,and nails. regulates blood pressure, and also promotes fat burn as well.

Maca (2000mg) -- mineral rich vegetable root powder that can best be described as an organic version of creatine. increases energy production and stamina.

best of luck with your goals.

6. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

Creatine Methyl Ester -- Good for building muscle and its plenty safe. There's a ton of info available online.

Fish Oil

Multi-vitamin

Eat healthy: veggies, grain, and lean meat. Supplement protein if you like.

7. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

The Body For Life program is hard, but if you do it just as instructed, it works. I did that for a while and had good success.

Then came the holidays when I porked out. :)

I'm on Atkins now, trying to drop as much weight as I can as fast as I can before my wedding, but once that's all over, I'm going back on Body For Life.

I loves me some Myoplex shakes and bars! And whole wheat tortillas esta muy bueno para Body Para Life!!

8. Jeremiah

Jeremiah Contributing Member

Whatever you decide on, get it from www.dpsnutrition.com - hands down the cheapest health/workout suppliment place I've found.

9. xcharged

xcharged Member

I really haven't found any fat cutter pills that i can recommend and say really worked.

I found that weight training first followed by cardio worked for me. At this stage I focused more on cardio and included it everyday.

supplements at this stage
    - muscle milk light
    - supercharge preworkout mix
    - multivitamin

After i dropped 26lbs the focus shifted to weight training with a day where i mixed in some cardio.

supplements at this stage
    - muscle milk regular before and after workouts
    - supercharge or N.O. Explode preworkout mix
    - multivitamin

try these sites for information.
    http://www.cheapvitamins.com
    http://www.bodybuilding.com

10. TeamUSA

TeamUSA Member

I have to add, EXERCISE and more SEX.

11. countingcrow

countingcrow Contributing Member

12. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

i agree with both.

esp the latter.

13. Rox_fan_here

Anyone have experience with Hydroxycut? Is creatine a good idea if I'm already heavy, trying to lose fat and get cut?

14. xcharged

xcharged Member

Creatine pulls extra water into the muscles so you may notice some weight gain.

15. ClockworkOrange

You can use it. You need muscle to help with burning fat (increased metabolism). 5 pounds of fat takes up more space than 5 pounds of muscle. Don't use the weight on the scale to determine your results. Get your body fat checked and circumference measurements to help you see how well you are progressing.

16. TexasFight

TexasFight Member

I used to take Xenadrine - but all it did was increase my heart rate - and after a week i became immune to it.

I upped my dosage to three pills per sitting (6 per day) and after another week I became immune.

I finally gave up on it.

Now I take 1 multivitamin, 2 fish oil capsules, 2 calcium capsules, 1 amino acid capsule, and 1 vitamin c tablet per day.

17. txppratt

txppratt Contributing Member

i work for a dietary supplement company.

a few things i can tell you from working in the industry...

#1 be careful who you buy from. just be sure to buy from a reputable source. i wouldn't trust an ebay seller. lots of old products have expired and people still buy and sell them.

#2 ECA is pretty much the magic formula. ephedrine, caffeine, and aspirin is what is considered the BEST from alot of weightloss experts. ephedra is really the ****. ephedrine was banned in the US for some time, but it (ephedra) is legal again these days. but nowhere near as prevelant as it used to be. and if you find it, it's in a very low dosage. most products only have the two components of that compound these days (C&A). my company stopped including ephedrine in their products because there are major health risks associated with it. but people who have taken it will swear by it. just educate yourself on it before you take it.

#3 no pill you take will lose your weight for you. lots of people will lose a couple lbs on a product, but then get discouraged because the weight doesn't just continue to melt away immediately. beyond the first few pounds, it takes diet and excercise to continue to help the product work with you. and thats where most people quit and will tell you that using a dietary supplement is a scam. it's not. if you keep going and work WITH the product instead of AGAINST it, you'll see the results youre looking for. what the supplement WILL DO is help keep your energy levels up so you burn more calories and stay more active, help curb your appetite or have the energy to get to the gym, etc. but to think you can take a pill and eat at mcdonalds everyday is just rediculous. and yes you'd be surprised how many people out there will take that approach.

it looks like you're taking the right approach with the diet and excercise. if you want to burn fat, do lots of cardio and drink lots of water.

as for suggestions on a good product? well, it really depends upon what your looking for... building muscle? energy? fat burner?

to build muscle i'd suggest NO SHOTGUN, endothil, and oxydrene. creatine rules too. and NO SHOTGUN (redline) is going to help your vascularity big time. shotgun helped me cut up (noticably) but it tastes like @ss.

hydroxycut, akavar, redline, or zantrex-3 would be the best for weightloss, fat burning, and energy. hydroxycut and alli seem to sell the best on the market but that doesn't mean they will work for you. just like there's no ONE SINGLE DIET that everyone loses weight on, there's not ONE SINGLE SUPPLEMENT that everyone will swear by.

hope that helps. good luck man.

18. Franchise3

Franchise3 Member

Quality Multivitamin
    Fish Oil/Flax
    Protein Supplement
    CLA

If lifting weights (you should be):
    L-Glutamine
    Glucosamine

Exercise + Eating healthy (includes BOTH eating healthy foods AND eating the correct amount of calories in the correct macronutrient ratios --- optional: timing your meals so you body can best utilize the calories and nutrients will help also).

Also, it is extremely difficult to cut fat and add muscle at the same time. Right now it sounds like you should concentrate on losing fat (not just "weight" - do not confuse the two).

19. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Good advice. I've been taking CLA and Fish Oil for the past month to cut that last bit of fat and its simply amazing. Obviously you have to work your ass off in the gym, but these supplements will help give you an advantage.

I would also suggest HIIT cardio instead of regular cardio. If you are not used to any cardio, then start off with regular cardio. But if you are somewhat already conditioned use HIIT, as it is the more efficient method of fat loss these days.

20. UTKaluman597

UTKaluman597 Contributing Member

are the amounts you suggest to be taken daily??