1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[advice] oil change

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by OmegaSupreme, Feb 6, 2008.

1. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

ok... i'm now paranoid that i'm gonna get f'ed over by getting my car flushed, oil changed, and inspection (thanks to whoever started that thread). anyhow, for folks that live in the upper kirby, midtown, montrose, museum district, river oaks areas... where do y'all get that stuff done? i'm planning on leaving within the next few hours to get those three done. thanks in advance.

:)

2. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

HA-HA

edit: this comment will look stupid when they move it to the right forum. Jokes on me?

3. OmegaSupreme

argh! i think this is the first time i've done this. sigh... sorry mods. could you please move to the right forum. :eek:

4. rocketsinsider

Yes I agree, the rockets need a oil change as soon as possible.

5. cskerlecz

cskerlecz Member

[/SIZE]
    IBTL!IBTL!

6. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

You should do it yourself.... I'm serious it is really easy.

1) Get adjustable ratchet: oil filter: Find out what grade of oil for your car (if you go to an auto store - it has booklet in there or ask the people at the front desk): funnel : newspaper to put under the oil pan/gasket.
    2) Get an oil bucket/bowel/pan
    3) Turn the bolt on the oil pan (gasket) in a counter clockwise motion (away from you with the ratchet).
    4) When you start to get it loose, push the bucket/pan under the bolt so the oil can go into it. Don't let the bolt slip out into the oil.
    5) Now you are going to let it drain...completely wait 2-5 minutes.
    6) A trick ....alot of mechanic shops don't use....if you have some spare oil around (unused oil)....take oil cap on the engine off and put the funnel in there and pour some of the oil in there....this will flush even more of the oil...and if it is still dark oil coming out at the bottom, it's pretty dirty. If it is like clear caramel color.....it's pretty clean. So let that drain out.
    7) Put on your new oil filter and open one of you new oil jugs dip your finger in it and start to soak the inside of the oil filter (the metal part) with oil and twist it back into place.
    8) Get back under the car and screw the bolt back on tightly......with your hand and then do turn the rathchet clockwise (or to your left). Make sure it is tight.
    9) One of the last major steps: Put the oil in the car.
    10) Make sure it is not leaking from the oil pan/gasket on the bottom and you are going to keep checking the oil stick near the front of the car. Make sure it doesn't go over F too much, if it is little over or under .... it's ok....if it goes way over you might have to drain again.

7. TeamUSA

TeamUSA Member

JIffyLube, they're the best.

8. dullknife

dullknife Member

That place on Dulavy & West Gray, across from the post office.

9. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

damn u for being off today :mad:

to be honest, I got mine at Walmart, $20 for oil change with them vacuuming the inside of my car :) . Firestone usually has coupons on the back of receipts at grocery stores where they'll do it for like $15.

10. OmegaSupreme

lol... yep. :) weather is beautiful out today.

thx for the responses... pluto, teamusa (though not serious), dull, and dave. i don't have a ratchet, so i can't do it. the place on w gray and dunleavy is ultra close, but didn't think of walmart. it'll be one of those two.

thx again.

11. codell

codell Contributing Member

check out Demo's Automotive in West University

12. Jeremiah

Jeremiah Contributing Member

Wal-Mart automotive. They've always been straight up with me. They don't sell many services, so there's not as much reason to rip you off. They're just there doing business.