1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sports Radio Stations

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Big Shot Bob, Oct 30, 2007.

1. Rocket G

Rocket G Contributing Member

Yeah, I suppose we do get plenty of sports - just from sources other than 1560.

2. Chance

Chance Contributing Member

I do too. Like Clutchfans. ESPN.com. Sports Center. 1560. 610. We are surrounded by it. 610 did a disservice to Houston in 1994. More later.

3. rodrick_98

rodrick_98 Contributing Member

where's the vid you shot yesterday?

4. Rocket G

Rocket G Contributing Member

I'm interested in hearing about this.

I'm guessing involves the Oilers.

5. sharona49er

sharona49er New Member

I work in Tomball and I can pick up 1560 just fine in our office. RJ is definitely my favorite..

6. Chance

No not really. Most sports radio stations launched between 1993 and 1995. Before that there were two or three and now there are 200. about 150 of them launched in that window. It is like the format was born in those years. Two stations in particular launched at that time. Sports 610, a few months later called Star 610 and The Ticket in Dallas. 610 launched with the same management it had when it was a country station and they hired a bunch of people, mostly newspaper folks or people doing sports shows on other radio stations. Given my position I won't fart around with names. The station owner was in essence just trying the format out. Not with passion necessarily but with optimism. The existing sports shows on the news stations at the time were top-down in their presentation. "We know our stuff. We will tell you about it. We have access. You don't. You will learn from us. We want you to continue to be a spectator in the Houston sports world. Our celebrity is expected." Most of the stations in the country took this method. Kinda like Walter Cronkite telling America the news. In fairness nobody knew exactly what to do.

The Ticket on the other hand launched with great enthusiasm. A big campaign leading up to the launch. Billboards. TV Commercials. Bar campaigns. And the talent was broad based and younger. They had a couple staples from the market but were riskier. The set the market to feel included. Men immediately felt like a part of the team. The hosts were not cynical. The hosts were not elitists. "We are the Ticket. We know our stuff. We want to share it with you and learn from you. We get special access. We want to share that access with you. We want you to become a part of the sports fabric in DFW. We will earn our celebrity."

Two different approaches. Two different results. The Ticket pulls numbers that are astronomical. They have for 14 years. 610 has had numbers that are fine. Compared to The Ticket they are crap but compared to other sports stations they are fine. Better than fine actually. WFAN, WIP, and The Ticket dominate. KILT is just another station. So is KBME and 97.5. So is KGOW for now.

Content wise the years I spent at 610 our content was interchangeable with The Ticket. They didn't talk more or less sports than we did. Same now at 1560. Sports radio stations and how they operate actually do affect the mentality of sports fans so what I meant was back in 1994 the bar was set in Houston and from the beginning it has been tenuous. John and Lance were starting to build a Ticket like following from 97 to 2001. They were building Ticket like numbers as well. Then the new management group took over, brought in 'their guy', decided they knew what was best for the Houston airwaves, and set the station back half a decade. They never fully recovered when John, then Lance left.

That's basically what I meant.

7. Chance

Which one...I did three...oh wait. I didn't edit any of them. I will, sorry.

8. msn

msn Member

Disgree. 1560 has by far the least sports content of all the stations. Ken Hoffman, are you kidding me?

John and Lance between 97 and 2001, like you mention, were great. Even on 1560, they're not what they were. I'm overall disappointed with them nowadays.

But Hoffman. Seriously, what on earth? Blyech.

9. King of 40 Acres

King of 40 Acres Contributing Member

Heads up I'm probably going to start doing the local updates on 97.5 Mon and Tues from 10-2 starting today. Already started running the board from this time so I'm pretty jacked about getting on air.

10. rodrick_98

adam and matt on the drive time. rich lord is out today... music to my ears

11. King of 40 Acres

King of 40 Acres Contributing Member

did the local updates yesterday midmorning until 2 for ESPN 97-5 The Ticket - first time being on air - will do more next monday and tuesday.

12. K mf G

K mf G Contributing Member

i have only turned to that station twice
    i like calvin murphy but i enjoy charlie more
    i don't really care to listen to anyone else y'all have on there

13. rodrick_98

for me, i'll take a local show over a national one unless the locals just blow... with 4 stations to choose from though, it's pretty easy to get to choose between a couple of local shows whenever you want. below is a list i compiled of the current lineups, starting from the morning show until the end of the drive time. surprisingly, i listen to 97.5 more than i thought.

(L) = local, and i put the times in bold to make it easier to read.

5am - 9am Mike & Mike
    9am - 12pm Colin Cowherd
    12pm - 2pm Mike Tirico
    2pm - 5pm Jerome Solomon & Jorge Vargas (L)
    5pm - 7pm Calvin Murphy (L)

6:00am - 10:00am Marc, Andre (L)
    10:00am - 11:00am Jeremy Foster's Revival Hour (L)
    11:00am - 2:00pm Jim Rome
    2:00pm - 6:00pm Rich Lord, Matt Jackson (L)

6 - 11 a.m. Brad Davies, Craig Roberts (L)
    11-3 p.m. John Lopez, Ted DeLuca (L)
    3-7 p.m. Charlie Pallilo (L)

7 AM – 10 AM JOHN GRANATO & LANCE ZIERLEIN (L)
    10 AM – 11 AM GRANATO, ZIERLEIN & RICHARD JUSTICE (L)
    11 AM – NOON RICHARD JUSTICE (L)
    NOON – 2 PM KEN HOFFMAN (L)
    2 PM – 6 PM SEAN PENDERGAST & JOHN HARRIS (L)

my listenings (first choice, followed by 2nd choice)

JOHN GRANATO & LANCE ZIERLEIN... Mike & Mike
    GRANATO, ZIERLEIN & RICHARD JUSTICE... Colin Cowherd
    RICHARD JUSTICE... Mike Tirico
    Mike Tirico... Jim Rome
    Rich Lord, Matt Jackson (from 2-3)
    Charlie Pallilo... Jerome Solomon & Jorge Vargas & murph

14. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

Watch 1560 LIVE and chat with their new in studio camera:

www.1560.tv

Now you can SEE Lance cough into the microphone.

15. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

just wanted to reiterate that john lopez is a bafoon.

#295 SWTsig, Feb 11, 2008
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2008
  16. wstar

wstar Member

If you're going to mention those programs that are on beyond 6pm, you should include
    6pm - 10pm Adam Wexler & Danny Vara at SR610

17. Bobblehead

Bobblehead Contributing Member

Hey there is nothing like watching John, Lance and Nick Van Exel eat breakfast.

18. conquistador#11

be thankful it's not john McClain eating breakfast =)

19. Creepy Crawl

Creepy Crawl Member

Thats a hell of a studio they have there ........

20. Drewdog

Drewdog Contributing Member

Tomorrow on 1560 with John & Lance:

2 Girls 1 Cup
    Gilbert
    Dr. Charlie Moore