1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Barkley: Camby Should Be Starting All-Star Center Over Yao

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by hotballa, Jan 24, 2008.

Tags:
  1. wekko368

wekko368 Member

This is like saying that if Camby had Yao's scoring ability, he'd average 100 pts per game.

Utter nonsense. You fail to factor in the relevant variables.

Camby plays with anthony and iverson. lately, yao has been surrounded by rafer alston and battier. Which center has more formidable teammates?

Teams double team yao because they can afford to. They know the other rocket players dont present much of a threat.

2. dreammvp

dreammvp Contributing Member

its a combination of 2 things...

1st its racial...he is propping an African American player over one that is not....sad but its true....if Yao was African American, Barkley would think he is the greatest center in the leauge hands down...

2nd...Yao has made Barkley look like an idiot after his first predicition (when Yao was a rookie) ...he siad Yao woldn't score 20 pts in an NBA game and Barkely can't stand it....

3. bronx43

bronx43 Member

Try 9.5 pts.

4. luisantonio1014

If anybody should compete with Yao over the starting spot, it would definitely be Kaman. I used to think he was a scrub, but that dude is having a monster year.

BUT, Yao owns Kaman, so maybe when Yao retires.

And once again, Sir Charles says something stupid. Camby over Yao! Dumbest thing I ever heard!
    If it wasn't for Ernie and Kenny making fun of him everytime, which is funny as hell, he wouldn't even be on that show anymore.

5. poprocks

poprocks Member

Probably more of the 2nd issue.

6. ralphabetsoup

ralphabetsoup Member

You mean if Camby were white, Barkley wouldn't be touting him?... Hahhaa... He probably wouldn't. Camby wouldn't even be on Barkley's radar.

7. littleyao

littleyao Member

When did Barkley ever know what he's talking about? Just ask the donkey!

8. Sofine81

Sofine81 Member

Thanks guys!

UNfortunatly racsim is alive and well in our world....it is just combed over with "political correctness" :(

9. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

So why does Barkley like Yi? Isn't Yi asian also? :rolleyes:

10. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

yet you guys write a 7 page thread with thousands of hits of anything Barkley says.

Sure, you guys claim that you don't watch it for Barkley, but you do. Anyone remember how popular the show was BEFORE Chuck?

exactly.

Barkley owns all you of.

11. jondoe

jondoe Member

It s pretty funny how everyone is over on Bynums nuts, but he has yet to get the full attention of constant double teams. Look at Howard, earlier in the season, he was throwing up some crazy numbers, but now teams are doubling him and forcing him to make a decision or make a move. His numbers are still good, but not like earlier in the season. Camby? That is a good one...probably the first starter to not average double figures...Bruce Bowen should get a nod too.

12. cshen

cshen Member

Then how do you explain teams doubled and tripled Shaq when he was in lakers. They have Fisher, KB, Horry, and other good players.

I dont think there's anyone in the league can stop yao 1 on 1, except Shaq cuz he still got that weight.

13. TDRox

TDRox Member

Why is it so hard for some of you guys on this board to admit that it could be a cultural/racial thing? No one is calling anyone a racist. We all tend to favor and root for our own kind. It is the same reason why Chinese people love Yao. Same reason white kids from Canada love Nash. I'm not saying it's exclusive to race as I'm sure a lot of black kids like Nash or Yao too, but I'm saying that having Barkley favor Camby over Yao because of race isn't that hard to believe and it also doesn't necessarily make him a racist. It's just natural for us to root for our own kind, and there's nothing wrong with that. UNLESS you are giving someone the job over another more deserving due to race - but that is not what Barkley is doing - he's not in charge of the voting, thank god. So basically, he is only stating his opinion, which is fine. My opinion is Yao is awesome. All Star. Barkley. Idiot.

14. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Newsflash, Camby isn't the only Black center in the NBA. You know, it's very possible that Chuck is just stupid and really thinks Camby should start over Yao. Thats more believable and logical than the whole "He only picked Camby over Yao because he's black" argument.

But like tinman says, Barkley does own everyone here. The site goes into an outrage everytime Barkley says something about the Rockets. Most of the time, he says things just for a reaction. I just don't understand why you guys care so much about what he says. Ok, so he thinks Camby should start over Yao. Big freaking deal! A million plus people says that Yao should start. Why care what CB34 has to say? I think some of you guys take the NBA and basketball way too serious. It's just a sport, it's just entertianment.

15. TDRox

TDRox Member

First of all, there's nothing wrong with a good discussion - that's what we are all having. I think we all already agree that Barkley is an idiot. I was just trying to point out that the reason for what he said could be a racial bias and it wouldn't be that 'illogical' at all but quite natural. I'm not saying he just picked some random 'black' center - of course Camby is having an all-star type season - I'm saying that if you could choose two guys who are having great seasons and one of them just so happens to be your own race - of course you would lean towards him. Same reason we root for the 'home' team and not just the best team in the league.

16. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

Didn't he choose Dirk to be the MVP last year? or was it the year before that?
    He also cheers for Ginobili more then any other black athelete.

17. gogorocketsgogo

Didn't mean to throw out this "political correct" stuff. As a Chinese, I am not scared to blame anybody to be racial in this "Yao" case.

In my opinion, the difference is this:
    If it is a racial thing, Yao will never get any respect no matter what he does.
    If it is a cultural thing, Yao will get the same respect like Shaq only if he can play much better than Shaq. The better he plays, the more respect he will get.

This "hope" keeps Yao from giving up and millions of fans from switching the tv chanels.

18. jclee

jclee Member

of course it's a racial thing...most players in NBA are black, and they want to keep it that way. that's why everyone is hating that teams are drafting more and more international players. And i wonder if blacks are voting for Obama simply because he's black or he can do the job?! i think it's the first one.

19. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

I know I echoed one of the comments about it being racist, but I thik we're taking it a bit over the edge. This ain't D&D guys, let's leave it alone before the trhead gets canned.

20. SuperStar

SuperStar Member