1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2-0 since mcgrady the great is back

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by denniscd, Jan 21, 2008.

1. TeamUSA

TeamUSA Member

Fixed it for for you Clutch. If you can't hit 2 freethrows that means your previous 3 was a lucky shot. :)

2. Little O

Little O Contributing Member

Come on now, He missed the free throws because of the depth perception at the Toyota Center. what you mean he wasn't at the TC. ;)

3. EssTooKayTD

EssTooKayTD Contributing Member

Geez, you guys are tough. Nevermind the fact that he was playing pretty darn well for us in the 3rd to even make it a game. Nevermind the tough 3 he hit off a fake with the shot clock winding down. Nevermind the drive to score after that. Yeah, remember 2 missed FTs. never give a guy props, just always **** on him...love the GARM as usual. It's like crack though...b/c it's about the Rockets. Can't stand it, but can't not be here.

4. ParaSolid

ParaSolid Member

They were switching off all screens. Durant's 3 attempt was good because of the lack of communication from the Rockets, you can't place that squarely on McGrady's shoulders.

5. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

Anytime Tmac and Yao shoot over 50% and the team shoots almost 50% from 3 pt range we should win and win comfortably regardless of what offensive scheme we are running. I give the Rockets credit for fighting back and getting the win on the road, but it's hard to be excited about barely beating a 9 win team. The offense looked alot more like last year's offense honestly, which also looked good when we shot a high % from 3 and Yao and Tmac had good games.

6. BucMan55

BucMan55 Contributing Member

Actually Clutch, most lately were questioning whether or not he could play within the system when he returns. I point to 3 straight possessions late in the 3rd where he was moving without the ball to get mid range jumpshots. The only time he dominated the ball was last possession of quarters, and some during the last 4 or so minutes of the game(when you expect him to).

7. hermbob

hermbob Rookie

Well, we've already seen a few examples of him getting frustrated when he doesn't touch the ball. The way to keep him happy is to put the ball in his hands and let him go to work.

There's a time and place for him playing off the ball throughout the game, but when he's motivated and playing like he did down the stretch last night, you've gotta let him operate.

Seems like he's our new backup PG too.

8. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

the last 3 yr, he WAS our PG. but i saw that when he played with the 2nd unit, he was the PG at times as he didn't look to score.

9. MayoRocket

MayoRocket Contributing Member

I'm not sure if it was frustration from not getting the ball, or being unsure of what to do. Either way, when he's rolling like he was last night, the Rox did the right thing, get him the ball and get out of the way.

It's when he's not rolling that will tell the tale.

10. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Yeah, I admit I jumped the gun for sure, but it was great to see him play well (minus the bricked free throws).

It drove me nuts when people were starting thread after thread after thread about how he is terrible, fakes injuries, doesn't care, etc...it pretty much made me stop enjoying the GARM for a while (see Play Francis, Steve) :p

It's funny (or sad :p ) that the first thought I had after the dish to Rafer was, "That should shut posters up"

Anyway, I know he has to prove it consistently and that he still has issues, but last night was a great reminder why we have to have him out there in order to help out the big fella

#70 Blake, Jan 24, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2008
  11. nolimitnp

nolimitnp Contributing Member

Do we really need to be reminded...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_UV3EjJPfc&feature=related

PLEASE stop hating on McGrady. How many players in this league has the talent he has? He IS RARE and hard to come by. So why are you giving up? We trade him now, we go back at least 3 years. By that time, Yao has peaked and will start going downhill, probably quickly. 7'6" 320 pounds can't go on forever. Its difficult enough to put the talent together to even build a championship caliber team. Think about it there are 30 teams, if each team wins one champhionship per year that's one championship every 30 years. In other words, the odds are way against us. But, we have still not seen the best of Yao and McGrady is 0 for 6 in the first round. He IS hungry. (Remember him crying after Game 7 last season?) You have to admit, Yao and McGrady are both VERY special players. They are not common, yet we have them BOTH. SO GET BEHIND THEM!! When Yao and McGrady become happy and start having fun, the rest of the players WILL follow. Yes, that is exactly how to "make the players around you better". How can you expect a player to put out their best when his own cities' FANS aren't behind him? You don't think players notice when stands don't sell out, they get booed, rumors swirl around, etc.? (Hell, who's to say McGrady or any other rocket isn't reading these message boards?) Come on, just because they make millions a year, they ARE still human, susceptible to the same emotions as the "rest" of us. GO ROX!!

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

I rewound the thing 6 times and watched...Tmac let him go, there was no pick, he was in the lane and double teamed Thomas.....he lost sight of him...then you watch him put his hands out as Durant is shooting, you can just see it in his body language that he missed his assignment.

He got lucky.

Just watched it again...TMac blew it...he should have guarded KD....we got lucky.

DD

#72 DaDakota, Jan 24, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2008
  13. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

You nailed the frustration of many of us Rox fans. TMac is that good. So, why isn't he?

Would 'blowing up' this crew be the end of life as we know it? Not if Morey could effect reasonable return.

14. Doctor Robert

Doctor Robert Contributing Member

While I want the Rockets to make the playoffs, I was almost mad to see McGrady pull the win out (as opposed to the team). I just thought it was as hollow of a win as one could possibly get:

-McGrady's effort seemed bad throughout the game
    -McGrady didn't seem to make an effort to play the offense the team has been running lately, which resulted in more standing around... a bad thing come playoff time.
    -McGrady got REALLY hot with his shooting rather than gutting out a team win, which will encourage him to attempt the same in the future
    -I don't think we could have come back with that effort against anyone in the league except Seattle

I think McGrady has the IQ and skills to be a phenomenal player in the offense, but I thought last nights win encouraged very bad habits. I would really like to see him initiate the offense less. With him in that role, I see another first round exit.

15. Nitro1118

Nitro1118 Member

I thought T-Mac's efforts (at least offensively) was terrific all night. He was playing off ball, not dominating the ball, and kept taking it to the rim until he started getting hot from the perimiter. I loved the way he played yesterday.

16. TTRocket

TTRocket Contributing Member

For all you wanting Tmac gone, I wonder what you will say about Yao when he leads the Rockets to a perennial lottery team? You know, the sort of team that goes 11-42...

17. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

Wow, you really pulled out all the stops in finding ways to hate McGrady there, didn't ya?

18. Doctor Robert

Doctor Robert Contributing Member

Enlightened post there...

I said I thought the win reinforced bad habits and I listed the reasons why.

I didn't mention faking an injuring, trading him, calling him a ridiculous nickname, or any of the other BS that has been floating around.

19. BucMan55

BucMan55 Contributing Member

Selective memory.

How can T-Mac receive a pass and take a 17 foot midrange jumper while coming off a pick if he has the ball??

MOST of T-Mac's shots(at least in the second half) came without dominating the ball. One was a last second 3 attempt. A few were on drives to the lane. Lots of them were him coming off picks.(Ray Allen/Reggie Miller style) I remember a missed 3 pointer that he took after catching the pass. I like T-Mac on catch n shoot 3s. He makes more than his yo-yo dribble 3s.

Sorry, those who dont see T-Mac in a negative light aren't seen anything negative out of him not related to injury other than his FTs. He looks slow(because he is hurt, but is learning to play with it).

20. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

it's like they don't want him to shoot. they say they want him to run the offense. how should he run it?

he cut last night (when yao got doubled he cut into the lane). he moved last night (he got a layup rigt under the basket when the sonics tried to zone from scola's pass). he ran through screens (half of his baskets were from jumpers off of picks/screens => those were created by others and rafer's passes).

the only time he dominated the offense was when we were going down the stretch. and don't most teams go to their best players down the stretch? if we didn't go to tmac, we would have isoed yao in the post (but that's tough to do down the stretch with yao).

i'm sorry, but tmac will never be good enough on this team for a lot of people on this board. i guess his history has really caused some deep dislike.