1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Time for Scola to start

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Jan 15, 2008.

1. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The guy has such a well rounded game and when it's on the line was in there snatching tough boards tonight.I like seeing him close games.Chuck's a hardworker,but Scola needs more of his minutes now.The offense just runs better also of course.With all due repect to the "veteran",start him now.

#1 Plowman, Jan 15, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2008
  2. bloop

bloop Member

scola needs to come off the bench

we do need him there to close games

3. istream

istream Member

even after that final play in the game where he gets the offensive rebound but gets stuffed like a fifth grader against dalembert? dont think so, still needs more time to come off the bench

4. Pringles

Pringles Member

hayes did a fine starting job. he didn't play at all in the 4th. when we need offense you put in scola, but when you are up by 10+ you put in hayes. scola isn't ready defensivly. hayes would have slowed that run down or even stop it.

5. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Hold your horses. Chuck only played 18 minutes each the last two games while Scola played 28 and 23. Even Landry got in 6 and 5 minutes. It's going the right direction. I wouldn't mind Chuck starting if Adelman would pull him out sooner in the 1st quarter when things aren't going well.

I'll be happy if Chuck stays between 10-20 minutes/game while Scola and Landry ramp their minutes up.

6. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

lol .. It sure worked out well, didn't it? Remind me, how many points did we give up in the last two fourth quarters, and how much did we get outscored by? As much as I know you'd like to, I'm sorry to say that you can't blame that anemic fourth quarter offense on Chuck.

7. bloop

bloop Member

scola needs to come off the bench to provide scoring for the 2nd unit. we dont need scola in there at the start of the game when we're trying to establish yao and tmac is there doing his thing

at the end of games, we're eventually going to go with scola 100% because he provides more ball movement and his defense will get better over time

8. kbourda

kbourda Member

I love the commitmentment and effort that Chuck has given to the Rockets franchise but Dr. Strange is right, it is time for Scola to start and move Landry's minutes up in the rotation. The Rockets are in terrible need of an athlethic 4 with the threat of a twelve footer.

9. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

someone explain to me why Landry was pulled when he made about 4 good plays in a row in the 2nd quarter and never came back.

this is a perfect game for a rookie to make a name for himself with his hustle and energy against a team that basically beat us doing those 2 things.

so you would rather have someone like landry who hustles his ass off on the bench while play someone like Head who personifies stupidity in the game.

thanks adelman

10. durvasa

What a bizarre thread after the second game in a row in which Scola finished in the fourth and we were outscored by double digits in the period.

11. zazahan

zazahan Contributing Member

We can still start Chuck but give Scola more time. In the fourth quarter, Rockets didn't give Scola many chances in the offensive end, and he blew the few chances that he got. Further, he didn't provide the same defence as Chuck did, especially on team defence.

So it's just hard to say. I think we should increase Scola's time slowly but still give Chuck enough time to help the team, i.e., do the dirty jobs.

12. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Chuck only played 18 minutes, did pretty good when he was in and he was on the bench when we coughed up the game.

I agree the timing of a new thread on this is odd, but it's worthy of discussion. More worthy of discussion right now is Adelman's brain and Luther's heart.

13. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

Scola is a good hustler, but he needs to make teams pay for doubling or fronting Yao. he's got to take those 10 foot jumpshots with confidence. Otherwise I would have Hayes in there to do the dirty defensive work

14. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

scola came in the 4th when we were already on our heels from the 76ers making their run with Luther and Rafer making brain dead plays and no one was able to throw it into Yao partly because he gets mugged and we piss away the shot clock or turn it over by doing the same thing over and over again.

scola should have been in there way before that and Brooks in for Head.

15. durvasa

The transition defense was horrid. I think that was more to blame than the offense to start the fourth. And as soon as Scola got into the game, he lost his man in transition and gave up a 3-pointer.

Actually, Scola didn't do a single thing in the fourth quarter that Chuck couldn't have also done. And we definitely missed Chuck's defense.

In the fourth quarter we needed less Bonzi, less Head, more Chuck, and more Brooks. That would have added up to a win.

16. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

the main reason scola was in there is to be another option on offense, but then again no use for him to be there when we keep going to Yao and nothing else.

scola may have lost his man, but the transition defense was more on Alston and Head.

I really don't think Hayes would have made a difference in the 4th cause Rafer and Luther would have screwed up any positives he would have done also. and that would be another defender that doesn't have to stay with his man.

17. carib

carib Member

Hayes maybe a good defender, but its the guards that have help stop the transitions points, and the sixers got plenty. I don't think we can blame RA for not playing Hayes in the fourth, though his defense was sadly missed. RA should called a time out and had a word with his guards whose poor play cost the game. To give up 37 points in a quarter is terrible.
    Notice that Hayes is not getting less minutes than Scola, that trend will continue but Hayes will continue to start for atleast a few games more. The guys coming over from the Euro leagues are known to be weak defensively, expect Scola to eventually get better defensively, I don't he will ever be as good as Hayes.

18. carib

carib Member

Correction
    I mean't to say notice Hayes is now getting less minutes than Scola.

19. durvasa

Another defender? Scola's defender wasn't staying with him as it is. And we weren't getting the ball to Scola for a midrange jumper either. I don't know what the hell we were doing. It wouldn't have changed a thing on the offensive end.

And Chuck adds more defensive integrity to our team. There's no way in hell we'd have given up 37 points with Chuck on the floor. Every year Chuck has been with the team, he's led our team in on-court team defense (fewest points give up per possession by team while player is on the court). It's not a fluke.

20. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

If we don't utilize Scola correctly for his strengths, then yeah no use for him to be in there.

last time I checked Hayes doesn't guard perimeter players and those players were the ones killing us in the 4th, constantly hitting jumpers and getting our guards up in the air commiting fouls on the jumpshooter then just driving in the lane in transition.

that's a neat little stat, but we'll have to agree to disagree on this game.