1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

How can fans protest officiating at games to make impression on league office?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jopatmc, Jan 13, 2008.

?

How many of us wrote email to league office regarding officiating on Yao?

1. Yes

3 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Will do it now

3 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

I'd like to start a thread to come up with ideas on what we can do while we are at games to bring as much heat on the officials as possible when they make such biased calls/noncalls, specifically on Yao.

I was thinking about calling out the Red Rowdies, trying to get some of them to throw beer on the floor or something like that in protest of obviously bad officiating in games like today's, but that would probably lead to their tickets being revoked or something. Wouldn't want anyone to lose their seats.

But there has to be something the fans can do collectively to bring more attention to the horrible officiating on Yao.

Games like today happen way too often. If it was just one game where there was a missed call down the stretch, then it really wouldn't be that important. But the officiating on Yao has become consistently insane, and out of hand enough to start costing us games. Those noncalls today are simply not acceptable.

And I'm sick and tired of the league watching tape and then giving Yao one game where they call him fair, then the officials go right back to the bologna of not calling fouls against, letting guys push him around with 2 hands, hacking him repeatedly, bumping him on the jump shot. Then intentionally running into him on the other end and getting the whistle.

Ahhhhhhhh, enough of that. We've got half dozen threads going on about the bad calls/noncalls.

Seriously, what could we do collectively as a fan base to bring the most attention and call out the NBA on this issue?

Can we all learn to holler Bull....! in Mandarin or something like that to berate the officials when they are screwing us and Yao over???

What ideas can we come up with?? Signs???? Chants????? How can we the fan base have the biggest impact and get the most attention to this issue???

2. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

3. LegendZ3

LegendZ3 Contributing Member

Red Rowdies are sponsored by the Rockets. So if they do something inappropriate, including chants against the refs, the Rockets is going to be fined. I don't think Les will like that.

4. bbjai

bbjai Member

what we need to do is keep track of the non calls on a website
    im sure it'll get coverage from something like truehoop

5. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

I'm not talking about the Red Rowdies. I said I was thinking of calling them out.

What I'm talking about is something that every fan in the arena can do together, some sort of chant, or some other collective action that would cause the officials to know the heat is on them.

These calls/noncalls are so ridiculous that in my opinion, you could even say the are being racially biased against Yao because he is Chinese, and not an American hothead. I really think they take advantage of Yao's good nature and it is easier for them to not make the calls then to constantly have to explain to the opposition why all that stuff they are doing to Yao are fouls. Yao's good nature allows them to take advantage of him.

Even the casual fan sitting in the upper deck could see those fouls on Yao today that were not called. And whether anybody wants to admit it or not, those noncalls cost us the game, plain and simple. You can rant about the fact we gave up 30 in the 4th, etc. But, bottom line is, if those fouls are called, there is no fast break 3 point play against us, and the whole complexion of the game down the stretch totally changes.

I am by no means an advocate of anything violent. But I really believe the officials have to be called out, made a spectacle of in the worst possible way because they cannot continue to alter the outcome of games. And I don't think it's out of the realm of reality that they are biased against Yao either:

1. Because he is from China. or
    2. Because he is a very large person that gives him a distinct advantage since he has a very good basketball skillset.

I can think of NO OTHER REASON for them to officiate him that way. After you see this stuff go on this long, what else are we to conclude when we see this?

And if so, then the local beat writers, TV reporters, and us fans should be talking about it and drawing attention to it ad nauseum.

Haven't you heard those chants at sporting events when the home team is getting the screws put to them and the whole arena/stadium shouts in protest?

Orrrrrrrrrrrr, how about something as unique as coming up way to silence the whole crowd as a silent protest? Or, how about organizing all the fans to leave the arena before the game concludes? Just walk out in protest. Organize the fans, get media attention to it, and the next time an event occurs like what happens today, everyone walks out. Or, how about putting together an email letter and having it circulate on a website, so that 100 million chinese fans can copy it to the league office and bust their email box protesting the racially biased officiating????

I don't feel like I've really got any unique ideas. I'd like to hear other fans come up with something that is:

1. Unique
    2. Gets enough attention that the national sports media picks up on it.
    3. Can be organized to a mass fan base

Surely, somebody can come up with something.

Here's another thought. If it requires printing posters or signs and selling them or maybe a message on those gigantic hands or something that we can get into the mits of 10,000+ fans down at TC, maybe we could turn it into a fundraiser for the fan website. Sell the item and donate the profits to here. A good cause to really make a difference for our team and the money goes to run the website.

6. dragonwill

dragonwill Member

7. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

Chanting FBI whenever the refs screw up. That should put some pressure on them dimwits.

8. RocketsFan5354

GOOD IDEA!!!!!!!!!!

9. orbb

orbb Contributing Member

suppose you succeed, and move the league into doing something. There are fans of 29 other teams that will make your "impression" meaningless, as soon as they try to copy you.

BOTTOMLINE: If you execute well and are aggressive, the calls even out over the course of a season.

10. poprocks

poprocks Member

There should be a website tracking all NBA referres and grading them. That'll get the leagues attention.

11. poprocks

poprocks Member

We vote for All-Stars for Basketball. We should vote on Refs too especially how sucky some of them are. Kudos to the good ones.

12. bbjai

bbjai Member

I'd much rather track each game and where Yao has been incorrectly called.

13. NO NAME

NO NAME Member

I can teach you that, but the refs don't understand them.... :D

14. eatsleepdrink

eatsleepdrink Member

This is when you want to see an owner like Cuban. Seriously the players and coaches simply can't complain too often. Just check what JVG did before and see what it turned out. Although if I were Yao I would at least make a clear and loud complaint, such as opting out the all-star game once as a gesture to make it a headline on the media. This will most likely draw some attention from Stern as Yao's absence basically means the loss of Chinese audience.

And I also urge the Chinese Yao fans to do something. I don't think Yao really needs your all-star votes for him. It doesn't help him to win games; instead somebody in mainland China should organize a serious campaign to boycott the NBA merchandises until Stern addresses this issue. Force the issue. Stern keeps saying "it's hard to ref a big man like Yao". This is a load of BS. Did Yao's height make the ref so confused so when Howard charged into Yao's back it's a blocking foul on Yao? I know there are some Chinese media people frequently check out this site. Those people please start something, make it high profile so the NBA office knows.

15. GTRacing

GTRacing Member

I was really pissed after todays loss(the no calls), and out of frustration I started making a site. I haven't figured out how I want the menus or what I want as far as text goes, but it's a start. I wish I had some nice videos to link to as the You-tube quality is bad, and most of the time it's hard to even determine if it was a foul. Once I find an easy way to record the games, I will edit out the no-calls and add a history page where you can see all the game altering or just plain stupid no-calls.
    Yao vs. Refs

It prob. won't help at all, but something needs to be done about the officiating on Yao.

16. kevtse

kevtse Member

People from China should really boycott the NBA until they officiate Yao fairly.

17. kevtse

kevtse Member

I remember that one, that's one of the worst calls I've ever seen. They just want Howard to be the #1 center, they want to help him in someway. **** Stein!! :mad:

18. bbjai

bbjai Member

start with the dwight running into yao

that was probably the worst one i have ever seen

19. maopaopao

maopaopao Member

Red Rowdies could wear some T-shirts "We need justice, Refs."

20. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

Unless you have a voice being broadcast somewhere, like Kelly Dwyer or maybe Clutch does now, I don't really think there's much you can do.

I'm a Rockets fan foremost above all, but sometimes I really feel for Yao and think to myself maybe he should just move over to the Euro leagues after his current contract expires. With normal bball rules applied to him, he will no doubt average over 40pts a game over there and likely win multiple titles.

In our league it appears he will always be 12th man on the marketing bench - purposely kept out of the lime light for either his yellow skin, his unusual height, his background from a communist country, or whatever the real reason is...