1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Morey on 610 1/09

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by MR. MEOWGI, Jan 9, 2008.

1. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Morey didn't say McGrady is working with Rockets player development guy. Just that he's starting to "take advice". I don't think that means anything.

2. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

there's no reason that mcgrady should be any less then a 80% free throw shooter at rock bottom. it's concentration, plain and simple.

3. mlwoo

mlwoo Contributing Member

No rhyming please.

4. RocDreamer

RocDreamer Contributing Member

Amen to that.

5. smoove shoez

smoove shoez Member

fixed :D

6. michecon

michecon Contributing Member

In reality, not trading Tmac is a low risk move for any GM's career, let alone a rookie GM. So, Tmac is only possible to be traded when Les wants to remove him.

7. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

This last post of yours sounded too much like something you would say.

Maybe in the future you could a few of these :rolleyes: after your borderline sarcastic comments.

8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Nah it is more fun to mess with the herd !

DD

9. Pass 1st shoot 2nd

Pass 1st shoot 2nd Contributing Member

I'll be honest with you: I want T-Mac gone, sooner than later. The dude's a Ferrari with a bad clutch. So nobody has to wonder if I have any bias or an especially keen interest in what management says and doesn't say about McGrady.

But ask yourselves whether Morey's "thank you" really sounds like a "we aren't going to trade T-Mac" comment, or a "thank you for the compliment about the team getting it together (without T-Mac in the lineup)" comment? I think it's important to understand what Morey didn't say. There have been lots of chances for the Rockets to quash T-Mac trade rumors and it never happens in unequivocal terms.

EDIT: I heard the Podcast but am still unconvinced that there's been no talk about trading McGrady. Morey didn't say that he wasn't listening. Funny thing about rumors. Remember 1996?

#29 Pass 1st shoot 2nd, Jan 10, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2008
  10. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

P1 S2 -
    Regarding McGrady, pretty much the view I've had going back as far as gathering (low upside) role players to surround him and Yao. It has nothing to do with talent...of which McGrady has a tremendous amount. I've just never looked at his body as being very durable. I'd like to be wrong...but I just see a very fragile player who could esily turn into the ORL version of Grant Hill.

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

See I want to give Tmac a chance to participate on the team the way it is playing now, with Yao clearly the leader and the rest playing the team game.

If he comes back and blends in and plays his co-starring role then keep him, if he is unwilling to change then it is probably time to cut bait.

DD

12. Pass 1st shoot 2nd

I want to do that as well, DD, but 2/22 is right around the corner and we can make it to the first round of the playoffs without McGrady. So the question really is whether we can get anything for McGrady if we don't make it out of the first round this year and then want to trade T-Mac before next season. I think we all know the answer to that.

CD had some big balls after the 1995-1996 season when we traded 1/3 of our roster for Barkley, and it almost paid off in the 1997 playoffs. If we have a chance to do something - even audaciously - to contend in the playoffs this year then we should do it now before it's too late.

13. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Great line, P1 S2: The dude's a Ferrari with a bad clutch. So nobody has to wonder if I have any bias or an especially keen interest in what management says and doesn't say about McGrady.

I disagree that TMac might be GHII. The other had mad skills, a large (BB) brain, and a huge heart.

I'm ok with McGrady being a Rocket or being traded in a (reasonably) fair deal.

I am not ok with making the play-offs, I'm only ok with being a legit championship pretender, heavenforbidcontentender.

14. MayoRocket

MayoRocket Contributing Member

Your logic is reversed here. CD traded for a superstar with a little left in the tank by giving up some crucial role players. Here it would be the reverse...and foolish.

Also, we've been beating up on bad teams lately which is great, but it's still gonna be a fight to get into the playoffs, and nearly impossible without McGrady.

15. Pass 1st shoot 2nd

I see the logic in your point, but I still disagree with you. Yes, we are in the reverse situation: we don't need the superstar with a little left in the tank (McGrady), and are in dire need of the right players to surround Yao.

I disagree with any suggestion that McGrady is the cornerstone of our playoff hopes. Yes, we have beaten bad teams without McGrady, but we haven't done so great against the big teams with him, either. Plus, the toughest part of our schedule is behind us. We can be a first round and out team right now, if that suits your fancy, without McGrady, and if we keep McGrady and history repeats itself...

16. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

My lord, I can't wait for this trade talk to go away. It's so annoying. Why do people still have this idea that we'd trade T-mac now versus the end of the season?

Folks, we have a full roster and we can't take multiple contracts. We're at the max, we're over the limit in salary, and we can't get a superstar in return.

Plus, Morey and EVERYONE wants to see if T-mac can work in the new system that seems to be finally catching on.

So please, can we shelf the t-mac trade talk for now until he gets back into the line-up?????

17. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

WTF??? 5-10 more days?

Damnit. Well... the Spurs and Hornets games should be interesting.

18. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

There is no trade we can do involving McGrady to help us contend in the playoffs any better.

19. Nitro1118

Nitro1118 Member

Huh? The Rockets have won games against Detroit, San Antonio, Phoenix, Utah, Los Angeles and others with McGrady in the lineup this season.

If you think that guys like Rafer continue this hot streak the whole year and teams continue to let Yao play the way he has played lately without constant fronting and double teaming, you are sorely mistaken. It was VERY clear in the Golden State game...without T-Mac, the team is solid, but like most mid-lower level teams they cannot sustain high level of play for 4 quarters against good teams. In the West it will take at least 45 wins, probably more, to make the playoffs. The Rockets won't achieve that without T-Mac, and they surely won't get anywhere in the playoffs without him. With him, the potential for this team goes way up.

20. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

Rip would be a perfect fit here, but I'm not so sure the Pistons would do it, simply because Rip is so much more reliable.