1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Creatine

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by armyman7894, Jan 7, 2008.

1. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

like everything...moderation.

take the recommended amount. Cycle off and on. Drinks plenty of water.

also, don't know how much protein you get but that could also help. Especially when you take it, i.e. before and right after workouts, when you wake up in the morning.

2. armyman7894

armyman7894 Member

I was hoping for your response since you're a trainer. But I have no idea what all that means lol? What is the importace of those extra minerals you said and why do I need to cycle on and off?

3. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

Surely you're kidding?

4. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

L-Glutamine is needed to support your muscle/growth recovery during times of more intense training (creatine cycles)

Phosphate is a type of creatine that is supposed to limit water retention

Cycle on and off so that the effects of the creatine are maximized, and you're not just riding the creatine pony 100% of the time instead of your own god given muscle.

5. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

I've taken creatine before, although it's been 10 years since I did. The biggest benefit I found was that my endurance in the weight room went sky high. I was able to do more sets, more movements, etc. It definitely led to strength gains. That said, I still lift weights and the best thing for my energy levels now is to load up on protein a few hours before going to the gym. I did that on Saturday and was tossing big weight around on the squat rack like it was nothing. One other tip is that I always start my routine with either squats or deadlifts. Those two movements get the most hormones working in your body and increase your anabolic rate the most. That in itself boost your energy big time.

6. Desert_Rocket

Desert_Rocket Member

If I had to guess, your diet is probably poor. If you want to build muscle, you need calories, clean calories and at least 1 gram of protein per pound of bodyweight per day minimum. I'd shoot for 1.5 grams per day per pound of bodyweight. Eat every 3 hours no matter what. Lean proteins, healthy fats, and complex carbs.

With or without creatine, you should be getting better results after 9 months of training IF your diet is in check.

7. hz10

hz10 Contributing Member

8. TexasFight

TexasFight Member

I intake 150-200 grams of protein a day.

about 100 grams of that comes from Isopure Protein Powder (protein shakes) and the rest from meat.

I eat at 9am, 1230pm, 430pm, 830 pm - 600 calories per meal = 2400 calories. some days its up to 3500 or 4000 calories.

alcohol - once a week

no breads, little carbs - mostly meats, cheeses, and dairy products - but i do have one helluva sweet tooth that complicates matters... BIG TIME

9. TexasFight

TexasFight Member

Having said all that above - I guess I really don't know what to do at this point. 1 year of lifting has resulted in 10 pounds of extra mass (muscle + fat)

That just isn't right.

10. hooroo

hooroo Member

11. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

literature has shown that creatine has significantly less effect on you if you already have a strong diet of meat and poultry. if you're not getting creatine from your diet then this is certainly an excellent supplement, otherwise maybe it works for you, maybe it doesn't. i believe there's definitely a placebo effect involved with many people who take creatine but at the same time i know too many people who swear by the stuff to say it doesn't work.

i took it for about a month and a half and didn't feel like i wanted to spend the extra money on it.

12. Desert_Rocket

Desert_Rocket Member

You have a sweet tooth. You said it yourself. And IMO, you should cut out the dairy products. Too much fat & milk and cheese slows down your digestive system. You want to keep your metabolism running full speed if you want to lose the fat. The alcohol once per week isn't helping either, but it could be worse I suppose.

If you are stuck, go over to precisionnutrition.com and read up on some tips from John Berardi. He has a PHD in nutrition and actually is from the University of Texas. I follow his advice when it comes to nutrition & training.

13. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

I get about 150-175 grams of protein per day, and I'm a vegetarian. I just have to drink a 3-4 protein shakes each day.

Another thing which is somewhat controversial in the weight lifting community, but I believe in is something called "muscle confusion." Basically the concept is if you keep lifting the same routine, your body will adjust and stop having any new gains.

Thus if you keep changing your workout and "surprise" your muscles you will see continuous gains.

Creatine is quite safe. People have been taking it for about 10-15 years and there are very, very few complications if you reference fitness forums and other literature.

For me, I don't take it anymore since it messes up with my digestive system too much.

After going to the gym pretty seriously for the past few years, I have been surprised to learn the number of gym patrons who actually take steroids and HGH. Many of the people I speak to readily admit to taking these substances.
    HGH doesn't have that many side effects later on, but steroids do I have been told.

14. LAfadeaway33

LAfadeaway33 Member

I also play football (college) and I decided to experiment with creatine. I use micronized creatine only because I wanted to avoid the stomach aches and bloating constantly associated with creatine use. It is the only creatine I have tried and sure enough, I never experienced any sort of stomach problem.
    As far as strength is concerned, creatine definitely increased the rate at which I made gains through weight lifting. I know this because I didn't take it until I had gone several months of maximal weight lifting with a decent diet. It was obvious by the end of my first month on creatine that I was gaining much more rapidly. One side affect I did notice, which may be a positive effect for you, was additional weight gain. I went from around 205 to 220 while on creatine. Then again, I was putting on mass.
    With regards to getting off creatine, I noticed very little to no loss in strength while continuing weight lifting. However, it became more difficult to make gains. My weight also dropped down to about 210.

15. danny317

danny317 Member

i used creatine in college. stuff works great.

i weighed 135 going into college and couldnt bench much. after using creatine i gained 10 lbs and could bench 215 at the end of a pyramid set. i could have probably maxed out around 225 but never really tested myself.

the downside of creatine is youll lose your muscle mass quickly if you dont continue using creatine. youll retain most of your gained strength but youll notice your muscles will shrink a lot. also ive read creatine use can lead to kidney problems (mainly due to over dosing and not drining enough water). i stopped bc 1. didnt have time to work out anymore and 2. was pissing way too much. i definately saw my muscle shrink.

creatine is a natural product that the body makes. it helps to store and regenerate ATP in your muscle cells. so it just gives you an extra boost so you can work out longer.

i havent read any long term reports on the effects of creatine usage. the big worry is that if you continue to use creatine over a prolonged period of time, will your body stop producing its own natural creatine. if this is the case then thats really bad news.

16. armyman7894

armyman7894 Member

Just some final thoughts and questions:

Use in cycles(does a cycle mean like just use for 2 weeks and then take 2 weeks off?)

Drink plenty of water?

Eat lots of protein based food?

I will probably have no need for creatine after the summer. So once Im done with it how is a healthy, safe way to just drop Creatine altogether.

What is the best type of creatine to buy. I heard something about Micronized Creatine? And how long does each supply last and how expensive is it generally.

Much thanks for the replies.

17. eMat

eMat Contributing Member

To those saying creatine doesn't work, I would guess you have a ****ty workout. I never cared for what I eat or how much I eat or how much I sleep but when I started taking creatine, I noticed results in two weeks.

All in all, I used it for about seven months and the gains were noticeable. Before starting I was at 160 pounds, benched 200, could squat 265. After that I was 190lbs, benched 265 and squat 310. And then I got sick. And the first time back I tried to do too much and seriously ****ed up my shoulder...

Also, I would not recommend taking anything if you're new to working out. For about a year I was steadily improving in all areas. Then the growth slowed down a bit. That obviously is not the case with OP so I would say go for it.

Another thing, I'd suggest taking it easier after you stop using it and not trying to maintain the results. Rather let go a little and then try to move up again.

p.s. I'm not a trainer. Everything I said is just my own experiences and observations. So I can't say that it will work for you. I have consulted a few of my friends and they improved nicely but still.

18. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

What level of game are you ? High school? College? Pro? What is your end goal?

19. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

you shouldnt worry too much about breads and carbs. It could very well help.
    Also, i would kick up your calories to 3000+ a day.

20. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

Creatine is sooooooooo 1998.