1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans & Free Agent Running Backs.

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by tbplayer22, Dec 31, 2007.

1. hatemavs4life

hatemavs4life Member

Agreed. If we're going FA, I say Burner Turner or draft. How would Fred Fragile be an upgrade from Ahman?

2. MiniMing

MiniMing Rookie

It wouldn't be a upgrade, he could break down... he's got a lot of years on those legs.

Turner would be a upgrade over what we have, but the teams who have success with two RB's usually will keep there 2nd RB.

I don't see teams like SD and JAX letting Turner and Taylor go.

3. Bag0b0y

Bag0b0y Member

JONATHAN STEWART OR BUST!

4. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

I agree about Taylor, but Turner is going to get offered to much money for SD to keep both LT and Turner.

5. MiniMing

MiniMing Rookie

Yeah but he's to valuable to let go, what if LT got hurt. Then they would have a good backup in that situation.

Teams who's offense is based mainly on the run, have to have 2 good backs. Just imagine if Rivers didn't have a run game to fall back on.

6. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

I know what you're saying, but Turner is going to get a TON of money on the free agent market. When you have a once in a life time back in Tomlinson, you don't pay a back up that much money in just case he gets hurt. Turner will be starting somewhere next year, and San Diego will use a mid to late round pick on a RB, just like they did with Turner.

7. Ashes

Ashes Member

Out of the FAs I'd love to somehow get Michael Turner. Trading for Chester Taylor would be nice as well. I wish Kevin Smith would leave UCF and Texans would somehow draft him. That kid is amazing.

8. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Assuming you are referring to Chris Taylor and not Chester Taylor, I think it has less to do with the stats he has put up to this point and more to do with the type of back he is and the confidence that Kubiak and the front office had that he could develop into the RB of the future. I remember watching what few carries he had in 2006 and thinking that he would do well with the one cut and run system, plus he seemed to have breakaway speed, allowing for some long TD runs, potentially. That's not something this team has really EVER had.

Given Kubiak's and the current front office's track record so far in evaluating young talent, I would be perfectly fine with this team ignoring RB in both free agency and the draft and bringing back Walker, Dayne, Green and Taylor and letting whoever earns the spots get them. I'm sure Ahman will get hurt eventually. Maybe they will just use a low draft pick on a RB, like 6th or 7th round. Either way, I have a feeling that Taylor can validate the coaching staff's praise of him and turn into the kind of RB this team needs. I just hope his injury this last season doesn't effect how he runs.

9. rterry

rterry Contributing Member

I heard Kubiak on 610 a few days ago and he absolutely believes Chris Taylor is something special. He and Smith may have a bit of a disconnect on the priority of signing a rb. It seems the GM said RB was his top priority, followed by offensive line, followed by db's. Kubiak pretty much said the draft will be about the best player available, period. Kubiak did say that he would look at other running backs given the injury issues with Ahman, Dayne, and Taylor, but he seemed way more concerned with the DB situation than either OL or RB.

10. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

As much as I like the idea of Michael Turner, I strongly suspect that he may be asking for (& receiving) a good bit more than he's worth. You can't be 100% sure about what you're getting with him, either.

I'd rather make the O-line a priority and look for a 2nd-day draft guy that can run with power. This is a smash-back league, no need to chase a guy with the idea of 30-yd runs. A Lendale White that can make the pile move a little is what I'd look for.

I'd spend money on a safety, if there's a guy out there that can make a serious difference. CC Brown can't stay as our starter. Poor awareness and decision-making are bad traits in the back of the secondary. Beyond that, OLB and then CB.

Evan

11. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

I think people are missing the point. The offense avg 23ppg with schaub and johnson missing games along with green. The defense gave up 22ppg without the safeties and dante goung out. If the texans can drop the opponets score down to 18ppg, the team can win 10 or 11 games. I like turner, but I like nmandi,tuck,suggs,haynesworth,allen, more. As long as the rb can produce 120 yds rushing a gane, the offense will be good. The defense is where all the help needs to be. The colts have too many weapons to think ur going to outscore them and that theory about playing keep away isn't going to work either. The teams in the division better be able to pressure peyton,stop addai, and cover everyone from clark to wayne, harrison to gonzales. I think a pass rushers, cover corner, safety and linebacker should be the focus. I would like to see them move boulware back to lb also. as far as rb, look for the connection. I think bell will be signed also.

12. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

I'd much rather spend the money on the OL or secondary. RB is the one position where a rookie could come in and contribute almost immediately therefore I wouldn't mind drafting a RB high in the 1st or 3rd round. A rookie OL will have a bigger learning curve and I think we need to shore up our OL immediately.

13. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

Good point on that. My preference is the Texans go high for a running back first, although if better value is at secondary then that should be the way to go...

14. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

Say...for instance...like Javorskie Lane.

I have thought for a while that after next season I'd love the Texans to draft Lane. He has Dayne size...but he is faster...and he has really good hands so he can be used for short passes into the flat. YAC baby. :cool:

15. dsnow23

dsnow23 Contributing Member

I like Justin Fargas and Michael Turner from the list originally posted. Fargas had a very nice year running behind a pretty bad offensive line. Ahman is a nice back when healthy, but when was the last time he stayed healthy?

I don't think they'd do it with Jamaal's fumbling history, but Jamaal Charles might not be a bad 2nd round pick. Use him as a RB/slot receiver/punt returner.

16. hatemavs4life

hatemavs4life Member

What about Ray Rice if he declares for the draft?

17. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

We don't have a 2nd round pick this year due to the Schaub trade.

18. MiniMing

MiniMing Rookie

Kevin Smith will turn pro, just said it at the bottom of the ticker on CNN.

19. MiniMing

MiniMing Rookie

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3184342

Sunday, January 6, 2008
    After almost breaking rushing record, Smith to turn pro

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ESPN.com news services

ORLANDO, Fla. -- University of Central Florida's Kevin Smith, the nation's leading rusher this season, changed his mind and will turn pro, the school confirmed Sunday night.

"I sat down with my mom after the Liberty Bowl game and we decided it was the best thing to do," Smith told Orlando television station WFTV, which first reported his decision.

Smith seriously challenged Barry Sanders' NCAA record of 2,628 rushing yards in a season, but finished 61 yards short.

Smith was hailed as a hero three weeks ago for deciding to stay in school, to earn a degree and help build UCF's burgeoning program.

"When I had the press conference a few weeks ago, that's how I felt then," Smith told the Orlando Sentinel. "I think people know with decision people know you're gonna go back and forth and change your mind until you realize what you really want to do. Two weeks ago had every intention of going back and being a knight. My true supporters will understand and realize I'm doing what's best for me."

In a written statement, coach George O'Leary said: "Kevin had a great career at UCF. We thank him for his contributions over the past three years and wish him nothing but the best."
    Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

20. hatemavs4life

hatemavs4life Member

How polished a runner is he? Can he set up blocks and then hit the hole (one cut and run) unlike Reggie who has to reinvent the wheel every time he carries the ball.

What other than the obvious makes him better than Stewart, Rice, Charles or others mentioned in this and related threads?

Just curious ...