1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Interesting Computer Problem thread, part 231432...

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by DrewP, Jan 5, 2008.

1. DrewP

DrewP Contributing Member

yarrrr

so I have this external dvd burner (usb) that i bought about a year ago and haven't really used. i got home a couple of weeks ago and started burning some stuff and it worked mighty well. all of a sudden though the computer no longer recognizes it and says its an 'unknown device'. I go into device manager and it says no driver has been installed :confused: this issue came up without provocation, I was minding my own business and **** stopped working.

I can't figure out what driver to get because I bought this external drive off ebay. I think some guy had some dvd burners laying around and threw one in an enclosure and sold them on ebay.

the front of the drive does say "writemaster" and "lightscribe" on it; a google search indicates it is a samsung. but there is no samsung logo on the front of it like other drives i see on the internet. on top of this, how would I know what model of samsung it is? its in this weird enclosure with about a thousand screws. anyone have an idea on how i find the right driver?

2. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Open the enclosure?

As for the drive, depending on your OS.....it should be recognized and installed all by itself. Normally plug and play.

3. DrewP

i was going to try to do this without opening it because there a thousand screws... also, the drive worked fine and was recognized until it randomly stopped. the drive powers on and works, the device manager just now says it needs a driver. weird, huh?

4. darkwarrior

darkwarrior Member

try disabling it/uninstalling it from your computer from the device manager. Then reboot your computer and let it detect it again.

If you didn't have to install drivers manually to get it to burn when you first got it, chances are that finding these "drivers" won't help you.

5. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Did you restart? I've seen external drives disappear before.

6. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

One thing you might want to try is disconnecting the drive, rebooting the computer then use another USB port on the computer and see what happens with that setup.

7. shaunx

shaunx Member

reinstall the driver...

8. brantonli24

brantonli24 Member

Do you have to use a cable? If so then try replacing the cable, and if it's a USB then check the socket and try transferring all the information as soon as you get it working again.

9. chow_yun_fat

chow_yun_fat Contributing Member

reboot and use a different port.

10. DrewP

I went to dallas for a couple of days and came back to a mysteriously functional dvd burner. I dont know what happened but thanks for the help