1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Just got a new 24" Samsung LCD

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by DaDakota, Jan 1, 2008.

1. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

Buy.com has the free shipping now. I'm going back and forth between that and the Dell.

Any love for LG?

LG - 22" Widescreen Flat-Panel LCD Monitor
    Model: L226WTQ-BF
    Best Buy: $279

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8357379&type=product&id=1177112467150

[​IMG]

#21 Faos, Jan 3, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2008
  2. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

I don't have any experience with LG. Either way, you would be getting a nice lcd monitor with very low response time.

Like I said about the monitors on Newegg, atleast once a week the monitors are on the main page sale.

3. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

I found a $30 mr for the Samsung via Microcenter. Brings it down to $299.

Edit: Fry's has it for the same price, PLUS they are throwing in a free printer:

FREE Canon iP1800 Photo Inkjet Printer (after mail-in rebate) with the purchase of ANY Desktop, Notebook or NEW LCD !!!

#23 Faos, Jan 3, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2008
  4. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

I have a dumb question... I am looking at my monitor here at work and wondering if its a 17" or 19"... how can I tell? (I remember someone telling me its like measuring a tv, but is it diagonal measurements or horizontal?)

I wanna get two monitors for home so I am trying to visualize what sizes I will need at a minimum.

5. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

Corner to corner.

I just bought the Samsung at Fry's. I'll let you guys call my wife and explain to her why I needed it.

6. Uprising

Hayesfan, lol. Corner to corner. Another way to check, if it's a 17inch it's most likely at 1024x768 if not widescreen.

Faos, you won't be dispointed. It absolutely ROCKS. and the glossy edges are beautiful.

7. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

Yep! I told ya it was a dumb question.. I was having a blonde moment. It is a 17 in.

8. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

The funny thing is the one monitor that was NOT working at Fry's was the 226BW. I tried to get it to work but something wasn't hooked up right. I did check out the other Samsungs and they looked really good. So I'm going on your recommendation and those that I've read on the various site alone. Your reputation is at risk. :)

9. Uprising

Lol. You won't be dispointed. Typical Fry's.....having the one thing you want to look at NOT hooked up to anything. Just make sure it's not an open box item. (Fry's sucks for OB's)

Tell your wife if ads...ummm....sophistication to the house. Ads a degree of beauty to the pc room....no longer an eye sore (no more white if your monitor frame was white...)

10. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

You are the man. Damn this thing is sweet. The ol 17" is in the corner where it belongs. Now I got to get this thing calibrated properly.

11. oneonepyopyo

oneonepyopyo Member

how much is the rebate then? I m wondering. I am about to buy a desktop. How far do we need to stay away from the screen then? :confused:

12. Uprising

:) Told ya! My 17inch CRT is in the closet! :D

13. darkwarrior

darkwarrior Member

Just a note that most of these monitors only have dvi inputs, no hdmi but you can always go and get a dvi to hdmi adapter to hook up your hi-def players/xbox360/ps3.

Correct? (I'm looking to get a monitor also, and i don't have a hdtv. This would probably be the best way to go)

14. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

This Dell wins the cool factor.

[​IMG]

Dell's 'Crystal LCD': The supermodel of monitors

Mike Yamamoto

(Credit: Dell)Dell isn't exactly known for its cutting-edge fashion, but it's definitely creating a buzz for the New Year with its "Crystal LCD" monitor. To look at the flash ad on Dell's site, you'd think it was a new Mercedes that was being rolled out.

First impressions seem to be somewhat mixed, as Boing Boing and others have criticized this museum piece as being all about show and short on specs, notably its size and resolution (22 inches, 1,680x1,050). And Dell is baiting the detractors by adorning it with a price tag of $1,199--which, as Gizmodo notes, is $899 more than the company's other LCDs with similar technicals.

But as slaves to fashion (in our minds if not appearance), we have to side with the fans of this beautiful screen for purely superficial reasons if nothing else. From the Webcam on its forehead to the four speakers embedded in its ultra-thin 4-millimeter-thick glass, this limited-edition monitor is a stunner. The metal tripod alone is enough to turn heads.

http://crave.cnet.com/8301-1_105-9839464-1.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=Crave

15. Uprising

Yep, I bought a $8 HDMI cord and it came with the DVI adapter. I also happened to buy an $8 DVI cord that came with the same adapter. (Both the same company) from newegg.com

16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Rebate is $50....and it is about 2 feet from my eyeballs...

DD

17. madmonkey37

madmonkey37 Contributing Member

LOL, I just bought the exact same one 2 days ago for 300 at circuit city. Newegg is great, but I tend to buy my monitors at a retail store, just in case of dead pixels. Neweggs policy of 8 dead pixels required for a return is just ridiculous.

18. shaunx

shaunx Member

Enjoy...i toohave samsung 20inch..the problem is that when u give local cable connections the liquid gets disturbed by that if any currents enters from the cable..i suffered that and lost money for servicing..

19. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

Can you explain that a little better?

I was thinking about hooking my 360 up to my monitor as well. Is that possible to have both hooked up? Would I have to have my computer powered down when using the Xbox?