1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Car Registration Question

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Rocketman95, Jan 4, 2008.

1. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I never received anything regarding renewing my car registration and it's now been expired for over a month. Where do I go to fix this since I can't do it online? Anything special I have to do if I switched the county I live in?

2. chow_yun_fat

chow_yun_fat Contributing Member

3. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

hmm, it shouldn't big that much of a hassle but i believe you have to visit the county tax office of the county the car is registered in, not where you live. just show proof of insurance.

4. Poloshirtbandit

I've always gone to Kroger to do it. Just bring your insurance card and driver license.

5. chow_yun_fat

you can't do that if it's expired. you have to pay the fee's.

6. H-Town Info

H-Town Info Member

not to take the OP's thunder but i have one expiring this month but i had misplaced the letter the state sent, can i still go to like Kroger's with my insurance and license to get my registration sticker?

7. J DIDDY

J DIDDY Member

what happens if your tags are expired? cause i see cars with 2005, 2006 tags.

8. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

you get a ticket if you are pulled over and the officer notices it is expired. Happened to me when I was driving someone else's car once. :rolleyes:

9. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

no. once it expires you have to go to the tax office.

10. chow_yun_fat

hopefully a cop doesn't spot you and give you a ticket/fine.

11. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

I'm in the same boat and went today at around 4 and the line was like something you would see at Astroworld. Going back monday morning. Does anyone know if you have to have the title with you? The car is not in my name. Is that a problem?

12. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

I did this recently. There is a Harris County Tax Assessors office on Chimney Rock, in the same building as the Justice of the Peace. I waited for maybe an hour. It actually moves pretty fast and isn't as bad as it looks.

13. JeeberD

JeeberD Contributing Member

Even if it's expired, you may not get fined. They'll ask you if the car has been driven since the sticker expired, and if you can lie with a straight face and say that no it hasn't, no extra fines tacked on.