1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Obama wins

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Another Brother, Jan 3, 2008.

Tags:
  1. Kyakko

Kyakko Contributing Member

i never said it was true, but that's the way it's done in American politics these days. you repeat something over and over until enough of the public believes it. btw, i'm voting for him if he wins the dem nomination.

2. Miguel

Miguel Contributing Member

All Barack Obama do is score caucuses

3. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

I wasn't trying to start a political debate and didn't assume that you were criticizing him (nor would I get offended if you did), I was just pointing out what a joke it will be if the Republicans use that, seeing as the president was a Texas Governor, who really doesn't do much...it's the Lt. Governor

That said, congrats to Obama.

Unfortunately I don't like any of the candidates once again

4. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

FWIW, Newsweek writer Jonathan Alter says inside sources have told him when Edwards pulls out, he will throw his support to Obama. At the moment, it's very likely that will happen after New Hampshire, not before.

http://www.newsweek.com/id/84290

Who Can Stop Obama?

His Iowa win gives him momentum that will be hard to slow.
    By Jonathan Alter
    Newsweek Web Exclusive
    Updated: 10:27 PM ET Jan 3, 2008

With his victory tonight, Barack Obama is now the strong favorite to be the Democratic nominee for president. The only one who can stop Obama from making history is Obama.

It's hard to believe a few thousand votes in Iowa can have so shaken the political landscape, but the front-loading of the primary process--originally meant to be a way to settle on Hillary Clinton early so she could concentrate on defeating the GOP in November--has backfired badly for the Democratic Party establishment.

Unless he makes a terrible mistake in this weekend's WMUR debate in New Hampshire, Obama will be the strong favorite to win in the Granite State. That leaves 18 days until the South Carolina primary, but even that time will probably not be enough for Clinton to fight her way back. With half of South Carolina's Democrats being African American, her chances won't be good.

Many blacks have been waiting to see if Obama was for real. Now that white Iowa has voted for hiiis, they will likely move strongly toward him. That was the pattern among black voters when Obama ran for the Senate in Illinois.

Sources within John Edward's campaign tell me that if Edwards drops out (unlikely before New Hampshire), he will throw his support to Obama. Should the Illinois senator win New Hampshire and South Carolina, it will be next to impossible to prevent him from becoming the nominee on February 5, Super Tuesday.

The only way he gives Edwards or Clinton a second wind is to mess up. The press will get more intense, increasing the likelihood of a crippling mistake. But so far, Obama has suffered no more than the normal number of relatively minor gaffes. One or two flat debate performances won't be enough to sink him. It will take the kind of big gaffe that only rarely transforms campaigns.

Clinton and Edwards aides will spin Iowa like crazy, but that is the new reality of American politics.

5. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Bill Maher on Letterman: First people were like is a black guy going to win? Now they're like is he black enough? What does he have to do, dunk?

6. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

He played basketball early on Thursday with staff members. Maybe that's enough for them.

7. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

GREAT WIN for Obama!!

Its good to see that America is not a false melting pot...........

8. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Was he taking it to the rack or shooting 3s? :p

9. MiniMing

MiniMing Rookie

Must of been the Oprah effect.

10. CBrownFanClub

CBrownFanClub Contributing Member

Amen. Was that amazing? That state is 95% white and it had no significant negative impact on a mixed race candidate. I got absolute chills seeing his wife and kids on stage with him.

11. MexAmercnMoose

if he can do both, then sign him to the rockets asap :p

12. Butterfingers

Butterfingers Contributing Member

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wKsoXHYICqU&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wKsoXHYICqU&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ENCRu-2d35g&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ENCRu-2d35g&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

13. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/yqoFwZUp5vc&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/yqoFwZUp5vc&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

14. Fatty FatBastard

As I stated in the other thread, While I'd like someone more conservative, I don't dislike Obama.

I prefer Huckabee, by all means, but Obama wouldn't be that bad, IMO.

15. Desert_Rocket

Desert_Rocket Member

16. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Interesting to see what Obama can do in the southern states

17. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

Somehow I get the feeling that inexperience won't be the number one swift boat issue huh Texxx.

I'm still smiling this morning! It's just the first step, but man! What a step!

18. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

How you like them crackers now? ;)

19. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Ha! Appropriately, another brother in politics! :p

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/XKVWELjcmXk&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/XKVWELjcmXk&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

~ 7:30 mark :D : "I really won the m_th_ f_cka??!? :eek: "

20. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

If we really want to see a milestone in race relations in politics, let's all eagerly await the day when a white candidate wins over a black candidate in a 95% black district.