1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hanging out at Bookstore Question....

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Bobblehead, Jan 3, 2008.

Tags:
  1. Bobblehead

Bobblehead Contributing Member

So tonight I went into Barnes and Noble to look for something.
    I practically do all my shopping on-line except for gorceries and household items. So I hardly ever go into a bookstore.

So anyway....what is the deal with people laying around on the floor, sitting on couching, etc...reading. I get it...it's a bookstore.
    But isn't the store there to SELL books? If you want to read, should you not go to a library? Are these people buying and then sitting down and reading?
    Are they "testing the water" on a novel? Maybe reading a few chapters before buying? Are they doing research and going to the library is lame and it's more "hip" to drink a cappuccino, eat a muffin and read?
    Help me understand?

2. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

i do it b/c it's relaxing...and b/c i'm not gonna buy the book anyways. at least not there.

3. Rule0001

Rule0001 Contributing Member

I've done it. I just wanted to be popular.

4. BigSherv

BigSherv Contributing Member

I detest the people that go to B&N and study. You are just taking up space.

5. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I'm not the sit on the floor type, but I've

1) Bought a book and read the first part sitting in a chair drinking a latte at the bookstore. Mostly when I do this, I am meeting a friend before heading somewhere else.

2) Stood next to shelf or sat or nearby bench where I found book and read first chapter to see if this is something I want to buy.

6. Medicine N Music

Medicine N Music Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Hmm...maybe some people find it hard to study at home or library? I rarely study at home since there are so many distractions and the library is wayyy to quiet for me. So if I can't study at home, Border's is a good place to study with their big tables. Also for the books thing.....they don't have to sell books to every single person that go there. If you buy their coffee, they'd make money too. A lot of times I go there to read financial/investing books and there's a LOT of crap out there. So I have to at least read a few chapters before I buy any of those books. There's your longgggg answer.

7. Bobblehead

Bobblehead Contributing Member

Good answers...just wondering!

8. kikimama

kikimama Member

Well, reading for most people is the same anywhere. It's not like you need a computer to read physical books so there is no need to go home. Why not read it for free.

9. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

I see cute chicks at Barnes & Noble stores pretty often. I may be wrong, but I figure they're at least somewhat intelligent if they've got their nose buried in a book, so that's a plus.

10. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

i got hit on by a gay middle aged man at B&N once. he asked me if i'd like to "grab lunch and talk about history."

11. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

i steal from Libraries.

12. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

so thats why the library doesn't have crap...

13. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I don't think that's funny, funny guy.

[​IMG]

14. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Trust me, it's funny.

15. MiniMing

MiniMing Rookie

Same here, OMG I would do anything to be popular.

16. chow_yun_fat

chow_yun_fat Contributing Member

i hang out at the book stores to check out the hot girls who hang out at the book stores pretending to read books who wait to check out the hot guys.

17. brantonli24

brantonli24 Member

I just like to read books there because after finishing it I just put it back on the shelf. Why go to the library where most of the books are old (and feel moldy) when the bookshop has spanking new books? There was one week on holiday when I spent just about all my time in a Barnes and Noble with a Starbucks in it, and just took books, bought a frappacuno and finished off the book and the drink.

18. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

I will admit to being one of those people.

Though to be honest I don't go there to just study or lounge. I will go if I have like an hour of free time with nothing to do and read part of a book I want to buy, or to grab a coffee and snack while I read a bit.

In college I used to go there because I thought one of the guys working there was a hottie and he had been friendly the couple of times I had talked to him in the cafe.

For some reason now.. the hotties are all younger than me... so its not so much of a draw anymore.

19. Yaozer

Yaozer Member

The last time I went to B&N was to buy a Spanish/English dictionary cus I was meeting up with a friend across the street at Starbucks to help me with my Spanish final. Other than that, I don't really go in book stores.

20. danny317

danny317 Member

i go to B&N to study. i always buy a coffee though. sometimes when it gets really busy, the cafe manager will kick you out if you dont buy a drink.

i also hit up the magazine rack during study breaks. every now and then ill take a book off the shelf and read the entire book. :D

as for the fine chics. really havent seen many. the ones that are there are usually meeting up some friends or pouring over a stack of fashion magazines.