1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Why u Cant build Around Yao

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by leebigez, Jan 1, 2008.

1. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

This is not some 1 game rant about yao. This is not a Tracy fan club member either. This is just the straight up truth. Yao is a piece of the puzzle, but this team cant build around him. Many will ask why not? Simple answer: Yao Ming does nothing great. Period. it cant get any plainer than that. He deos nothing great, therefore he cant be a great player. I can say he's a very good ft shooter, but you dont build around that. I can say he has great size, but we've seen that get neutralized by everyone in the league. Before the illogical fans spout out and call me names, think about what he does great.

Is he a great rebounder? Great passer? Great scorer?Shotblocker? Defender? Athelete? There isn't one category in which anyone who watches the rox can say yao is great at. I fell into the trap and has been spoiled by greatness with rox big man, but after 6 yrs i see the same things he didn't do as a rookie continue to be a problem. I mean His stamina isn't good so he cant dominate for a extended period of time. his hands are soft, but not strong enough to hold on to rebounds and is easily stipped of the ball. Although his calf's are huge, his lower body and upper body isn't strong. If they were, he could power through and convert some of those fouls into and 1's. Not only that his lift would be better as well as he would be a little quicker. He turns the ball over alot considering his asst:ratio. i could go on and on about what he cant do and probably will never be able to do. What i will say is he is a good 2nd or 3rd option. I think he's a good player, but with all the rif raf about building around him doesn't make alot of since. I don't think you can build around Tracy either with his injury history, but Yao and tracy together is a good tandem, but not a great tandem unless tracy gets in the time machine and play like he did in orlando.

2. demon77

demon77 Member

if only les is willing to trade Yao and build around someone else.....

3. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

You could say the same thing about Tim Duncan.

4. el_locoteee

el_locoteee Member

Bingo

5. tulexan

tulexan Member

Except Tim Duncan doesn't get neutralized by Gilbert Arenas

6. apocclass

apocclass Member

i agree yao can never be the main guy on a team, at this point, t-mac probably can't either, but i still dont believe we should trade either one. the problem with this tandem is that its not a trio. we need another all-star in here, or near all-star in here, then i truly believe we would be title contenders.

yao is very good, but will never be shaq or tim duncan.

7. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Yeah iguess u could since duncan is only the best pivot in the game. I guess we can forget about all nba 1st team nba every season in the league. 3 time finals mvp. Always top 5 rebounder,shotblocker, and clutch 4th qt scorer that no team can front with a 6'7 guy. To top that off, he has 4 rings, 2-time mvp, but i guess yao and duncan are the same. :rolleyes:

8. Matchman

Matchman Contributing Member

He is average at rebounding, passing, and shotblocking but how is he gonna be great at scoring when he gets double and triple team on almost every possession? Even if Yao is only fronted by one man, the others are still waiting at the edge of the paint waiting for the lop pass to go to Yao so they can double up on him. Our opponents are double teaming Yao without paying the price because NO ONE can average in double-digit scoring other than the injured T-Mac. Our opponents are daring our role players to beat them.

We can and should build around Yao, but are we really doing that? We need scorers capable of hitting open jumpers at every positions so NO ONE can slack off from our men and double up on Yao. You think players will slack off from Parker, Ginobili, or even Finley to double up on Duncan?

(By the way, did you watch 1995 WCSF Rockets vs Suns Gm 5 that was aired todayon NBATV? You know why no one dares to double up on Hakeem? Because the man that was cutting to the basket was Robert Horry, not Chuch Hayes.)

9. truemantian

truemantian Member

sofa.
    good post.I like Yao,but I must admit he is not good enough to be built around .But you should know ,shark is not either.He can't win the cup without kobe.He can't win the cup without wade.so ,Yao can't without Tmac or other one either.I don't like Tmac,he is always injured.I don't think he has a strong heart.
    Yao is not talent as Tmac,but his will is strong.He has a strong heart,and he has the winning experience(in China,CBA).So the team should be around Yao ,unless he is traded or the team get a true leader.
    what I want to say is ,between YAO and Tmac,leader should be YAO!!!!!!

10. PlayDoh

PlayDoh Member

stupid idiot comparing yao to tim duncan, lets not even talk about rings..

11. apocclass

apocclass Member

tim duncan doesnt struggle to get post position against al harrington or mehmet okur. tim duncan can score on the double team, or pass out of it with ease. tim duncan isnt constantly getting his shot blocked or stripped down low by guards.

dont get me wrong, im not just trying to bash yao, and like i said i want to keep him but it is what it is. because of his limitations it makes imperative that we surround him good talent at each position. a PG at the level of jason terry or mo williams, or a PF like paul milsap or david west would be great.

12. cyberdemon_lord

not only that the defense gs plays is illegal defense back then

yao averaged 25 ppg in an injury year, he has shown he can be a great scorer but the coach is not using him right

13. truemantian

truemantian Member

good post.I like Yao,but I must admit he is not good enough to be built around .But you should know ,shark is not either.He can't win the cup without kobe.He can't win the cup without wade.so ,Yao can't without Tmac or other one either.I don't like Tmac,he is always injured.I don't think he has a strong heart.
    Yao is not talent as Tmac,but his will is strong.He has a strong heart,and he has the winning experience(in China,CBA).So the team should be around Yao ,unless he is traded or the team get a true leader.
    what I want to say is ,between YAO and Tmac,leader should be YAO!!!!!!

14. Old Man Rock

I don't know about that but somebody must be neutralizing him a bit. Seeing as Yas's got him beat in all the big man categories, point, rebounds and blocks. But don't that let that interfere in bashing Yao. Continue on.

15. Old Man Rock

Hey Playdoh go jerk your clay.

16. PlayDoh

PlayDoh Member

take it easy, happy new year

17. rocketsregle

rocketsregle Contributing Member

Ya right, why didn't you post after the Toronto game? And I'm sorry, speaking as a Rockets fan, you can't build around Tracy not because of injury questions but because he is not a competitor. He quits when the going gets tough. That is the straight up truth. He is the reason for the first time as a Rockets fan I have ever not believed my team would win it all. Thanks Tracy for that Philadelphia game. However, despite my disillusionment I have never advocated to trade him. Just bring in another play-maker so we don't have to depend on him to the point we have.

Yao Ming along with Duncan are great post players. That is something Yao does great. We just need to surround Yao with competitors, shooters and penetrators.

18. wolverinemich

wolverinemich Member

new year's most dumb thread

19. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Have you considered that he hasn't been called upon to be great. Yet?
    You must remember so far Yao has never been called upon to be the leader of the Rockets. At present he shares that responsibility with Alston as the main Point Guard and Tracy McGrady as the top scorer. When Tracy is gone or retired and it is in all reality Yao's team then we possibly can judge if he is great or not. So far Yao is a team player doing his best to do what the coach asks of him. Being a great player can occur only when a player is free to be what he can be. :p

20. Dkny_112

Dkny_112 Member

Tim Duncan is a 7 time all defensive first teamer and a 3 time second teamer. He is the cornerstone to a defense that is constantly ranked 1st or 2nd in the league. Through his career, he has averaged 2.4 blocks a game and 11.8 rebounds. Thats 25% more then Yaos career totals. To say that Tim duncan does nothing GREAT is absurd...