1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Game 4 between Luka and the Mavs and Shai and the Thunder. Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Movie Pet Peeves...

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by TECH, Dec 31, 2007.

Tags:
  1. J DIDDY

J DIDDY Member

I hate how every villain who boards the enterprise/voyager/deep space nine...... is able to simply punch in a few buttons and "override" the computer and transport to where ever the hell they wanna go.

i hate how every person in the star trek shows fight the same way. its always the double ax hand .

2. mrpaige

mrpaige Contributing Member

Now I'm trying to remember all the superhero movies that were set in New York.

I've come up with Spider-Man.

The Punisher was in Florida.

I don't know where Fantastic Four was supposed to be (I know it was filmed in Canada).

I don't think the Hulk ever made it to New York.

Superman is in Metropolis.

Batman is in Gotham City.

What are some other New York ones?

3. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

When someone gets shot with a gun and they fly backwards like they've been hit by a bus.

The consistent refusal to show the accurate consequences of defenestration.

This new spate of parody movies which simply rip off scenes from other movies and then smirk at the end. Epic Movie, Date Movie, et al. That new one Meet the Spartans. The tagline for every single one of those movies should just be "Hey, remember things from other things? *smirk*".

4. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

Metropolis, Gotham City= NYC, correct?

Daredevil, X-Men, and I think Fantastic Four movies are set in NYC.

5. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Glory?

6. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

I hate how in 98% of sports movies, the bad team always manages to find a way to turn around their mediocrity and win the big game. There are a few exceptions to this though, a few.

Guy and girl are together. Another guy comes along and takes the girl from the guy because he is a better guy than the last one.

Any film based in or about foreigners that has them speaking in English but with a foreign accent.

Almost any death scene involves instantaneous death. Most of the time people do not die instantly when they are stabbed, shot, etc.

Whenever a good or bad guy is down like they have been killed but they some how come back for the final showdown.

People are in trouble with the law and are never given a chance to explain their situation.

More to come.....

7. lpbman

lpbman Member

Re: Star Trek... Why even have phasers or whatever if you have transporters? Why wouldn't you just take people apart and not put them back together... or in the show lingo, delete the pattern buffer.

8. mrpaige

mrpaige Contributing Member

Well, no. Metropolis is Metropolis and Gotham City is Gotham City.

Metropolis in the Christopher Reeve Superman movies certainly looked like NYC (complete with its own Statue of Liberty), but it was supposed to be a different city.

9. nyquil82

nyquil82 Contributing Member

Super villains always have idiot sidekicks.

You can always find a parking spot in front of the building you need to go to. Especially in New York.

Everybody's room or house is tidy unless they are a "free spirited" or "lazy" character. Everyone has a clean closet and has new clothes. Everyone has clothes that fit them (unless it's a trait of the character for them not to have fitting clothes).

Any group of friends (especially for women) need to consist of a blonde, a brunette, someone black and a redhead/asian/latino.

If someone is in a coma, they always wake up when a loved one is at their side.

Children do not look related to their parents or siblings.

Japanese, Koreans or Chinese can play anyone who is Japanese, Korean or Chinese. Spanish, South Asian, South East Asian, Middle Eastern, Eastern European people can play Spanish, South Asian, South East Asian, Middle Eastern or Eastern European people.

You can pick any lock or mechanism with a paperclip. And there is always one lying around.

People can easily have a conversation with each other in a club or rock concert.

All doctors and scientists wear white coats.

My biggest pet peeve: People have sex with a blanket over them. WTF is up with that?

10. J DIDDY

J DIDDY Member

american directors ripping ideas from Asian movies and not acknowledging it. EX: the matrix and the departed (practically a scene for scene remake of Infernal Affairs)

11. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

*People living in big cities able to find the perfect parking spot in front of the restaurant or store they are going into.

*Animals in movies that get hurt or appear to be dead to tug at the heart strings only to be ok.

*Women who wake up looking like this:

[​IMG]

Instead of this (real life):

[​IMG]

12. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

I think you understand what I mean...For all intents and purposes, these two cities are NYC.

13. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

BINGO!!!!!!!!!!

14. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Fake African countries. I don't know if they're trying not to offend people, or what...

West Wing - Equatorial Kundu
    Coming to America - Zamunda
    The Interpreter - Matobo

15. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

By the way: in high school, everyone's pretty or at least decent looking, has a car, eventually has sex, lots of friends and always goes to parties on the weekend.

16. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

The funniest thing about ID4 is that, they didn't even need the whole virus explanation to come up with plausible plot reasoning for taking down the aliens. They could have just used the whole "Trojan Horse, Nuke the Mothership" plan, which makes enough sense by itself. Use the Roswell spaceship to get through the mothership defenses, blow it up from the inside, and knock out the power source of the alien shields.

That makes a lot more sense than the laughable virus solution. The only difference is that they wouldn't have a reason to have Jeff Goldblum on the ship with Will Smith. Which goes against another movie cliche about protagonists having to do everything.

But all of these directors acknowledged/gave credit. The Wachowski's gave all the credit for the fight scenes to their Chinese fight choreographer. I remember seeing a lot of discussion/explanation about that in interviews and behind-the-scenes stuff.

And the departed plays like a scene for scene remake of Infernal Affairs, because it is a scene for scene remake of Infernal Affairs. Brad Pitt saw the original movie, and bought the rights to remake it in Hollywood. And Scorsese gave credit to the directors of Infernal Affairs in his Oscar acceptance speech.

17. 111chase111

111chase111 Contributing Member

When aliens invade the earth for the natural resources (i.e. Independance Day). There are enough resources in all the rubble floating around the solar system to keep people supplied for centuries. If someone has to invade earth to get stuff they are either really mean or have already exploited the rest of the solar system.

18. Bullard4Life

Bullard4Life Member

I hate how how high schoolers are played by actors in their late 20s. I also hate all the glaringly obvious mistakes villains make in movies. A few New Year's resolutions for the evil overlords:

When I've captured my adversary and he says, "Look, before you kill me, will you at least tell me what this is all about?" I'll say, "No." and shoot him. No, on second thought I'll shoot him then say "No."

I will not include a self-destruct mechanism unless absolutely necessary. If it is necessary, it will not be a large red button labelled "Danger: Do Not Push". The big red button marked "Do Not Push" will instead trigger a spray of bullets on anyone stupid enough to disregard it. Similarly, the ON/OFF switch will not clearly be labelled as such.

The artifact which is the source of my power will not be kept on the Mountain of Despair beyond the River of Fire guarded by the Dragons of Eternity. It will be in my safe-deposit box. The same applies to the object which is my one weakness.

If I am fighting with the hero atop a moving platform, have disarmed him, and am about to finish him off and he glances behind me and drops flat, I too will drop flat instead of quizzically turning around to find out what he saw.

More great ones can be found at: http://www.eviloverlord.com/lists/overlord.html
    My friends had so much fun with this list in high school.

19. tulexan

tulexan Member

How about people who live in New York but are in apartments that they would never be able to afford with their jobs?

20. Christopher

Christopher Member

How about the move Saving Private Ryan, it seems only American soldiers fought in WW2!

Thats a bit of a common theme, like in the movie U-571 where history was thrown out the window and a bunch of Americans got the enigma code!

(By the way, I'm not having a go at you guys....its stupid people making movies)

One of the older ones that you don't see much of any more, but was REALLY obvious in Mission Impossible 2.......all Australians talk like the Crocodile Hunter! Thankfully this one seems to have died off.

One funny thing I saw on TV once was a clip from a U.S. TV movie from the 80's that was set in Australia. They showed some supposed wildlife shots of our native creatures....they showed Lions and Elephants! :D

How about in CSI or most crime scene type programs.....why do they do all their work with the lights turned off? They can be working with little tiny bits of evidence and yet they work in the dark!

How about new TV shows these days that are promoted simply on the back of popular music and give you no idea what the show is about. So you tune in and realize that there is no real story and the best thing about the whole show was the music in the ads for it!

Any recent Tom Cruise movie where it seems a good 5-10 minutes of it is put aside to reinforce what a manly man he actually is and how the woman all love him and he really, REALLY isn't gay.

The Oceans 11,12, 13 celebrity circle jerking.

Seeing how the movie Troy was basically turned into 2 hours of "Look at Brad Pitt.....look at him. Its Brad Pitt....." and how everything else in that movie took a back seat.

How many movies do you see where the hero just gets killed without fanfare? I can think of only the movie Executive Decision where Steven Segal is unexpectedly killed early in the movie where that happens. He just dies and thats it.

Anyway thats it for now! :D