1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's the EAST FINALS Game 2 as Tatum and the Celtics host Haliburton and the Pacers. Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

perceptions are not reality

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by denniscd, Dec 31, 2007.

Tags:
  1. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

how is our post first round exit minor roster changes looking this year?

major change does not have to be complete reconstruction

2. docgundy

docgundy Member

Not true. Look at the Twolves of the late 90's/early 2000's. They made it all the way to the conference finals because they learned from their mistakes. KG is now going to lead the Celtics to the promise land.

3. New Jack

New Jack Member

That had nothing to do with the playoff experience they gained losing in the first round of the playoffs every year and everything to do with acquiring Cassell and Sprewell.

4. tcadriel

tcadriel Member

Is that a perception or a Reality?

IMO, winning a "championship" is the only true goal, the playoffs and the regular season are just the path in which you get there.

5. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

yeah but if golden state had gone into the lottery? they could have gotten Kevin Durant.

Do you think golden state would be better off having won a single playoff series last year or better off not making the playoffs but having Kevin Durant?

YOu see what kind of silly results playing this game gets you?

6. SamFisher

well, I've followed the rockets for about 27 years and i only recall two championship seasons, however I don't regard the other 25 seasons as being a complete meaningless wasteland. SOme of them were largely wasted, but in any event I derived satisfaction from various portions of non-championship seasons, even ones including first round losses.

7. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

two in particular:

1. white boy power squad year

2. early 90's (i'm thinking 91??) when they lost to the lakers in the first round...but had to struggle to make the playoffs at all. it was the year they acquired vernon. hakeem was down for a significant period of time and larry smith filled in beautifully. that team worked its ass off to get into the playoffs. they couldn't match up with the lakers...but i had a blast watching that team play.

8. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

Odds were going in that Golden State was going to go out in the first round. They pulled out a historic upset to progress. The point being you don't know you are going to make it to the second round or the conference championship, or the finals until you get there. To get there you have to risk losing in the first round.

9. conquistador#11

what you guys need to do is calm down. This thread is getting out of control.
    [​IMG]

10. New Jack

New Jack Member

Golden State had been to the lottery for over a decade and it got them nowhere. So no, I don’t think they would be better off in the lottery to have a chance at Durant. It’s never a good thing when a team stagnates in the same position year after year. Whether that be in the lottery every season (Golden State) or stuck in mediocrity losing in the 1st round every season (Houston). The Warriors needed a nice playoff run after a 12 year drought far more than they needed another lottery pick.

11. SamFisher

What if they lose in the first round this year - a disticint possiblility. Then they are just going backwards and regressing. They should have gotten Durant, who would have been the face of the franchise for decades.

See how silly this game is?

12. zazahan

zazahan Contributing Member

I was going to give some positive ratings for this thread before reading it. But I only found one sentence to support the argument :confused:

If you want to start a new thread like this, at least prepare the facts.

13. SamFisher

Yes the 1991 rockets, I was going to mention them too. That was a fun team that had the misfortune of winning 52 games and then being rewarded with a powerhouse lakers squad in the first round.

14. New Jack

New Jack Member

Two seasons doesn’t qualify as stagnating yet. Four seasons of the same results might qualify as stagnation though. That’s when it might be time start firing coaches.