1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

UFC 79

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by bigbadjon_e, Dec 30, 2007.

Tags:
  1. bigbadjon_e

bigbadjon_e Member

Did anybody watch UFC 79 last night? I haven't seen anything in the forum about it. There were some really good fights and I was shocked with the outcome of a few.

2. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

St. Pierre was impressive. He used to train at the Wat, the same gym i did a few years ago when i still did kickboxing and he was just some huge guy named george, at least as far as i could figure, i didn't know that he was THE George and didn't piece it together till I saw Phil Nurse running around in his corner. Anyway he was v. impressive.

I thoguth the SIlva/Liddell figt was kind of disappointing, a sloppy boxing match between one guy past his prime and one guy obviously no longer hitting the roids as hard. If that had happened 4 years ago or so I would have been more interested but now it didn't seem as great as I thought it had been. Of course I watched it on a sopcast stream without JOe Rogan screaming his head off so it was probably less exciting to me for that reason.

3. Asian Sensation

Ya great wins for GSP and Chucky. GSP is such a lil ninja. Bad ass.

4. bigbadjon_e

bigbadjon_e Member

GSP looked unbelievable but part of me wondered how much Hughes has fallen. Even though I'm not a fan of Guillard, I was happy to hear that he trains in Houston.

5. J DIDDY

J DIDDY Member

what a HUGE let down with sliva. the man used to be the most feared lhw in the world. :( i was expecting him to just kill liddell.

first crocop and now silva. :( 2 of favorite PRIDE fighters suffered big losses in the ufc. crop/ silva were supposed to destroy their divisions.

one small bright side, did anyone catch the fireball kid takanori gomi in the crowd?! my only hope now lie with the other two badass PRIDE champs, Gomi and Fedor.

fedor signed with another org. but Gomi is still unsigned. i wanna see him knock guys out again. There alot of haters who will never accept Gomi for the great fighter that he is , simply because he is Japanese..they wont admit it, but its there.

6. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I don't think it's a coincidence that in the first drug tested fight Silva has had in seven years he looked a LOT smaller and less ripped....hmmmm...

7. rock8ts

rock8ts Member

The Silva/Liddell was very disappointing. Liddell quit fighting before teh match was over. Liddell is a joke.

8. Asian Sensation

I thought that was Gomi. I had to do a double take. He looks like such a tourist with his other Japanese buddies. " Harroooo we come america watch yeww eff she batto ! "

9. J DIDDY

J DIDDY Member

Fedor and Gomi are my only two favorite PRIDE guys left. i always thought they were the two best p4p fighters

10. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

Liddell-Silva was such a disappointment. Silva didn't do jack. he was so hesitant. Reminds me of cro-cop when he came to UFC. So tentative.

GSP was awesome. I'd never seen anyone use the stomach slam the head into the matt move before and that takedown was awesome. He was in control the entire way.

11. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

I have no idea why UFC keeps pairing Lidell with strikers because the last two fights I've seen him (Silva and Jardine), it just looked like a sloppy amateur boxing match. Anyone who tuned in for the first time would be thinking "how is this better than boxing?"

The Silva-Liddell fight was just pathetic. I hate clutch and grab people, but i would rather watch 5 rounds of that than have to sit through a 3 round pseudo-slobberknocker that shows all the skills of a junior high school school yard fight.

The Pierre-Hughes match was pretty good though. Pierre is so GAY but the man can fight lol He really jacked up Hughes. That Spinarooni he did at the end was the best part.

12. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

He's half french what do you expect

13. TracyMcCrazyeye

14. MoBalls

MoBalls Contributing Member

I watched this all by myself and dont regret it. Good fights.