1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bhutto Killed in suicide attack in Pakistan

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by pgabriel, Dec 27, 2007.

Tags:
  1. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

If she is as corrupt as reported, it is a pretty sad thing for Pakistan that the best hope for democracy in that country was her.

2. TeamUSA

TeamUSA Member

Developing news on CNN:

Man, this is so sick. There was an interview of a doctor who examined the body after the incident saying that there was a bullet wound on her neck and chest. Then, they came with this news AFTER the body was buried???????

Freaking pakistani govt huh! It's like treating the world like kids. Nasty govt.

3. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

AQ certainly would benefit greatly from killing her, since it more than likely would cause anti-American and anti-Musharraf sentiment to explode (as it has done despite the fact that the US has been putting a ton of pressure on Musharraf to allow her back into the process). That doesn't mean that Musharraf doesn't stand to gain at all, but it creates more of a mess for him than her being around since he already had the capability to marginalize her.

If you can influence a dictator to moderate through incentives, then why wouldn't you? That's not hypocritical.

#63 HayesStreet, Dec 28, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 28, 2007
  4. syin1

syin1 Member

I am not talking about extremist in Parkistan particularly. I am talking about terrorism in mideast in general. By the way, Butto was killed mostly because she is too Pro-America (see the response from US and Great Britain after the incident). People want to kill her not because she is a woman, or because she is the symbol of democracy, but mostly because they don't like any foreign puppete. The situation in Parkistan is so complicated and there are too many different people want Butto's life.

Last time I heard, the muslim people who hate America the most are who were educated here, lived here for quite long and went back to their home countries. By the way, Osama Bin Laden is a rich man by most Americans' standard.

5. Khal80

Khal80 Contributing Member

as unfortunate this assassination is, a military rule in pakistan does bring a sense of stability for the country. I dont believe in it, but stability in that region is a good thing, but, unfortunately, forward progress seems even further ahead.

its not a coincidence that their stock exchange went up yesterday after the news of the assassination.

6. ymc

ymc Member

We are influencing a dictator because we want to serve American interests. We are not in the business of making the dictator's people happy. However, we sugarcoated it by saying we want to promote "democracy" there. If that's not hypocrisy, then I don't know what is...

7. syin1

syin1 Member

If that's not hypocrisy, then that's SELF-SERVING and borderline SINISTERNESS, for sure.

8. ymc

ymc Member

9. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

She's not only corrupt but she was involved with the death of her brother, Don Michael Corleone's style. Her whole family was evil, especially her husband. It’s sad we were willing to help her get back in power, not that there was much of a choice, but it was wrong.

10. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

from josh --

Ridiculous

I've been knocking for most of the day on these weird inconsistencies emerging in the accounts of the death of Benazir Bhutto; and now the biggs seem to be digging deeper. A number of clinicians who've written in today have said the government's story -- that Bhutto died because she basically knocked her head on the car sun roof while ducking to avoid the bullets -- is deeply implausible. A number of reasons are given, the most common of which is that you would have great difficulty generating enough force to inflict the kind of injury that would lead to death so quickly.

But when you step back and look at the constantly changing and mainly contradictory stories, you have to say, to what end? Other than a lot of confusion and irresponsible statements, what's the point of the different stories? Perhaps there's none. But the oddity of the final account -- that in so many words she died of a self-inflicted head injury when trying to duck gunfire -- comes not only from its improbability but from the level of detail.

The idea here, remember, is that you have a very chaotic and rapid chain of events that leaves Bhutto pronounced dead in less than an hour after the first shots were fired. With no post-mortem, which would seem necessary to conclusively identify the cause of death as this sort of head injury, they not only pronounce on the cause of death but even describe in some detail just how she came to have the head injury -- a blow to the head while trying to get away from gunfire.

To put it plainly, it simply seems incredible to me that they could have any real sense of how she got the head injury, even if they could establish, absent any clear evidence, that that was the cause of death.

And this suspicion is, I think, added to by the named accounts of doctors who actually treated her. This is from a late report from CNN ...

The key details are there, something big at high speed. I guess 'big' is relative in this context, but that sounds a lot like she got shot or hit by a bomb fragment. And frankly, how likely is it that someone shoots at you several times at point blank range, near so (the video suggests no more than ten feet), and then detonates a bomb a few feet away from you and a few minutes later you're dead and it has nothing to do with either of those things?

I'd say, not likely.

But again, why?

From the current CNN headline story, I've seen what strikes me as the first explanation that makes sense of all facts ...

Obviously, I have no idea beyond Robinson's surmise. But in a case like this I find myself looking for some explanation that makes sense of the seemingly nonsensical data. And this makes sense. The bonk on the head theory is ridiculous on many levels, not simply on that of implausibility, but because it makes her a potential object of ridicule, mockery and the manner of her death somehow ignoble. That would be a pretty harsh take, certainly; but they seem to play pretty rough over there.

For my money, if she happened to die in such a freakish manner in the process of an assassination attempt, it wouldn't diminish her heroism or bravery. But I would imagine many would see her death as tied in some way to cowardice and diminish, as Robinson says, any sense of her as a martyr.

--Josh Marshall
    http://www.talkingpointsmemo.com/

11. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

There are enemies and crazies for just about every big name politician in just about every country. But you hear about very few assasinations each year if not each decade. This is because the typical systems and protocols in place are extremely effective at preventing them. This is true across the board from the richest of countries to the poorest broke-ass banana republics. It is hard as hell to get a top figure if the security detail has their gameplan down.

So it's clear as day that when an elephant is actually tagged, overwhelmingly more than likely - there was help from within.

And to nudge this further >>> a puppet government only acts when its strings have been pulled.

12. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

Well it's obvious that someone is lying --

KARACHI, Pakistan (CNN) -- A top aide who helped bathe Benazir Bhutto's body after her death said it was clear that the former Pakistani prime minister suffered bullet wounds to her head, contrary to a government report that she died because she hit her head on a sunroof lever.

Pakistan People's Party information secretary Sherry Rehman, who was riding in the car behind Bhutto's when it was attacked, called the government's conclusion that Bhutto was not shot "the most bizarre, dangerous nonsense."

"It's beginning to look like a cover up to me," Rehman said in a CNN interview.

Rehman said Bhutto was hemorrhaging on the way to the hospital and that the two cars used to get her there were blood-soaked.

"There were clear bullet injuries to her head," said Rehman. "When we bathed her we saw that."

On Thursday, hours after Bhutto's death, the Pakistani Interior Ministry said she died from a gunshot wound to the neck, with the gunman firing as Bhutto stood through the open sunroof of her vehicle as she left a rally in Rawalpindi.

The gunman then blew himself up, killing 23 others as well, officials said.

Video of the incident shows a man shooting a handgun three times toward Bhutto's car before the blast.

The account was consistent with statements to The Associated Press from doctors who pronounced Bhutto dead at a hospital.

But on Friday, the Interior Ministry said Bhutto was killed by shrapnel from the explosion.

Then, hours later, the ministry said she died from a skull fracture suffered when she either fell or ducked into the car as a result of the shots or the explosion and crashed her head into a sunroof latch.

"The government comes up with the most bizarre, dangerous nonsense and it indicates that they are abdicating themselves of all responsibility by saying that she may have knocked her head or concussed her head against one of the levers on the sunroof," Rehman said.

Dr. Mussadiq Khan of Rawalpindi General Hospital, who treated Bhutto before she was pronounced dead, said she had a large wound on the side of her head consistent with striking or being struck by "something big, with a lot of speed.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/asiapcf/12/29/bhutto.death/index.html

13. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

Sounds like the Doc was afraid to call it a bullet!

14. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

So, if she hit her head on the sunroof lever, is she no longer considered a martyr than if she would have been had she had some weapon ammo or shrapnel in her head? And, this also makes Musharraf less responsible because the sunroof lever was put there by the manufacturer and how could this be his fault? It sounds so much worse to be killed by a sunroof lever than a direct impact from an instrument of war.

Wow...people must be really confused over there. I hope they are working on removing and burning all the sunroof levers over there...because the lever is looking pretty guilty at the moment. Of course, you will never find if there was a real bullet in her head because Musharaff had that removed during the autopsy, melted, and formed into a new bullet for his gold chrome-plated handgun. I think he got the idea from Saddam.

Think about it...people over there are going to believe whatever they want to believe to make their day keep going. How could you ever get a real truth over there?

#74 Surfguy, Dec 29, 2007
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2007
  15. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

they just can't handle the truth out there like we can......truth of the matter is not only was it a bullet, it was a frickin magic bullet......cuz i tell ya hoss if truth was like a game of monopoly, not only would be boardin everyone n ownin all the top properties......we'd have under our full management n control those big ass red hotels on the park places and kentuckys and indianas....not them little green houses that look like shacks for the senegalese...big ass red ones like a holiday inn crowne plaza.....that's how we do it out here..

16. MFW

MFW Member

All things said and done, Bhutto was highly irrelevant. She was basically a less authoritarian but a lot more corrupt version of Musharraf, who along with her family, robbed Pakistan blind. She wasn't gonna win the election anyways.

17. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

Too bad Earl Warren is dead.

18. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

I think on Fox or CNN one commentator said if the Bhutto party cares so much about democracy why don't they hold elections to name Bhutto's successor?

19. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

She was pro-western and that's why we liked her.....democracy was a farce she made up, she MADE SURE that nobody in her party would stand up to her, it's a joke. For those that thought she would not win the elections don't know how it' works down there, this woman would have paid off the poor like she's done before. They like her because she keeps them happy with little welfare cheques she hands out.....

20. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

It's interesting how some who have defended extremist Muslim positions on here in the past do not hesitate to throw dirt on the grave of this brave politician.