1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Man convicted after Internet hoax leads to deadly shooting

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Rocket River, Dec 23, 2007.

1. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

Hahaha, man you crack me up.

Yeah I think his defense is ridiculous by claiming KKK. And you know what? I think his gun probably had discharged out of anger as oppose to on accident, which is why he hestitated before calling authorities.

But we're talking the issue of being in immediate danger. If someone calls your son and tells him he's coming over with a group of people to "kill him" - these kids are just "some kids wanting to fight" huh?

And then there are two burglars caught off-guard with a bag of loot in their hand is confronted by a man with a rifle. I'm guessing they're just "wanting to kill" huh? :rolleyes:

2. Major

Major Member

Assuming someone might be dangerous in a theoretical sense has nothing to do with whether someone is an immediate danger. Horn, unless he is a mentally disabled, knew that he was in no danger unless he chose to create a dangerous situation. That was not at all the case for the guy in this story.

3. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

The difference with what we know so far is that Horn went out with the intention to kill those guys (he even declared it over the phone) who weren't on his property while the guy in this case is claiming that the gun went off while the kid tried to wrestle it away from him.

4. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

Haven't seen bigtexxx around here lately........

5. newplayer

newplayer Member

it's a bit confusing that John White is actually black ... the surname sort of gave me the impression that it was a white guy who killed a black kid on his doorstep when i glanced at the article the first time.

the right thing that Mr. White should have done is to call the police and let them sort things out. unless the white kids had started breaking into his house or burning his house, he should have just stayed inside his home and avoided the dangerous confrontation.

i'd agree if he got a few years of prison time for man slaughtering.

6. Major

Major Member

This case just took a bizarre turn.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/law/12/24/driveway.shooting.ap/index.html

Juror: Judge and jury pressured me to convict man

RIVERHEAD, New York (AP) -- A juror who helped convict a black man of fatally shooting a white teenager said he felt pressured by other jurors and the judge to change his vote to guilty during a marathon deliberating session.

The jury convicted John White of second-degree manslaughter Saturday in the August 2006 shooting of 17-year-old Daniel Cicciaro Jr.

White, 54, remains free on bail and plans to appeal. He faces a prison term of five to 15 years.

The case drew national attention after defense attorneys argued that he feared a "lynch mob" had come to attack his family when a group of angry white teenagers gathered outside his home. The teens wanted to confront White's son.

Juror Francois Larche, who is white, said he and another juror changed their votes after enduring "a lot of psychological tactics" from fellow jurors during an unusual weekend session ordered by the judge over jurors' protests.

"It was a huge burden to bear," Larche, 46, told the New York Post in Monday's editions. He added, "I took a lot of heat."

Jury forewoman Maureen Steigerwald denied that the judge, a 12-hour deliberating session on Saturday -- the fourth day of deliberations -- or the holidays played a role in the jury's decision.

"The jury did a very careful, conscientious deliberate job," she told Newsday in Monday's editions.

Judge Barbara Kahn said the jury would have to return on Sunday if they didn't reach a decision. Larche told the Post the judge told them a mistrial would burden the families and the next jury.

"I thought about my family and the families of the other jurors," Larche said. "It was not worth it in the end."

7. superden

superden Contributing Member

If you think race does not play a part at all in this trial is naive and a fool. Just look at statistics with arrests (between black and white) and convictions. I'll let you have a wild guess at who gets arrested more and who gets the worse conviction. Racism is still very much alive in this nation. It comes down to a black man killing a white kid. Plus, it said that the kid lunged forward to grab the gun. Uh... that's just not smart period.

8. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

and horn knew those guys were in a crime ring?

9. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

10. Saint Louis

Saint Louis Member

I expect this out of New York.