1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Schwarzenegger vs. the Feds

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Cohen, Dec 21, 2007.

1. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

Heh... he actually makes A LOT of sense....

http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1697552,00.html?imw=Y

2. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

He's spot on as a Republican. Bush should be respecting states' rights. California has been failing EPA's emissions mandates, and they passed those standards in response. There was a previous issue where the Fed EPA wouldn't allow California to upgrade their bus fleet with less polluting models. The auto industry didn't like it, and lo n behold Bush stepped in.

3. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Talk about putting himself in the perfect position -- Arnold is a savvy politician. He is fighting for two of the greatest core issues of both parties -- state rights / the environment and in a way which I agree and most Americans agree IMHO.

4. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

Yeah, I'm actually impressed at the way he's playing this. And I'm not often impressed by those in the political arena. Go Arnold.

5. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

He's the only Republican I might consider for the White House, and he can't run. (sigh)

Impeach Bush.

6. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Thank Goodness
    Once they make a law to allow him to run

America will cease to be America

Rocket River

7. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

well, we already have one president whose family has nazi ties, why not another?

8. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Arnold is the embodiment of being American. Grew up pretty poor. Came here worked hard became a great body builder used that to make money. Parlayed that into a movie career despite his accent. Used that to become governor. People like him are who have made this country great. People who overcome many obstacles and achieve greatness. I think he is a smart guy and has been successful in many avenues. I think he would make a good president.

9. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

whether or not he will make a great president is irrelevent
    once you allow foreigners to take leadership positions in you government
    How long before you are compromised?

Not Arnold himself but what about the next person
    Once you allow Arnold. . then everyone can come in with a slick message
    and play the role until voted into office

Machurian Candidate style
    Bin Laden's cousin or something could become President
    if he plays the good boy long enough

QUESTION: and this is an HONEST QUESTION
    What are the requirement for leadership in other countries around the world?
    Could I move to Britian, France, Germany, Nigeria, Brazil, Russia, etc and become President [or the Equivalent] even though I was born American?

Rocket River

10. ymc

ymc Member

I wish he is the President as oppose to the chimp we have in the WH :(

11. TECH

TECH Contributing Member

Does anybody really think it is cost effective for every auto manufacturer to have to design a vehicle to meet whatever emission standards any one country, let alone a single state decides to impose? There needs to be a level playing field to prevent excessive design variations in autos. "California Model", is seen everywhere. Being an auto technician myself, I can tell you that those costs of being "GREEN" are very high.

Example. You buy a new car, perhaps a BMW. The fuel pump decides to go out. Simple, replace the fuel pump, right? WRONG! This is a Cali-model, or ULEV, or whatever you decide to name it. You find that you must spend a few thousand dollars on a COMPLETE fuel tank, with all the sending units, pump, lines, everything, all built together.
    You see, these tanks are built to allow zero hydrocarbons (fuel vapor), to escape throught those porous things called rubber gaskets and orings.

"Standards" encompasses more than simply fuel economy standards, or tailpipe emission standards. You can only go so far in internal combustion engine refinement until drastic measures are needed to meet new standards.

Don't be so quick to jump at this political greenhouse bunk. You'll be forking the bill in many ways. Those development, and REPAIR costs will be passed on to you.

If only there was a way to fine the SUN for producing water vapor every day, which is the greatest greenhouse gas, by far.

12. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I didn't know a person should be judged by their family's past. I always thought you judged the person. Arnold has his flaws, especially in the past with his steroid use, but he's had an impressive gig as Governor of California. I thought that picture would flop. It hasn't.

Impeach Bush.

13. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

This is something to consider, but if other companies (Toyota, Honda, Nissan) can do it without b****ing and moaning, why can't our American companies do the same. They just don't conduct business in a manner consistent with the times. They're too inflexible. (And W is a douche for pandering to them)

I didn't know this. Good stuff to consider.

At some point bearing those costs are worth it. At some point environmental damage becomes irreversible. It's more practical, and in all likelihood cheaper, to be more proactive and stringent now then later. If we're proactive now about limiting environmental damage and it turns out later that global warming is a hoax, at least we're not in terribly worse shape, whereas if we do nothing now and global warming is proven an actual phenomena later, then we're screwed.[/QUOTE]

14. Saint Louis

Saint Louis Member

Maybe Arnold should just have California secede from the United States, then he can be President of the Republic of California.

What is good for the Lakota Indians should be good for California.

15. jo mama

if your family was nazis (arnold) or had dealings w/ nazis (bush) it should be taken into account. arnolds father was an s.a. police officer and judging by the belt buckle he wore recently on the cover of time magazine, arnold seems to not shy away from it.

Arnold's father was member of Nazi storm troops
    http://www.usatoday.com/news/politicselections/2003-08-24-arnold-father_x.htm

but like i said, we already have one family w/ nazi ties currently in the white house, why not another?

Bush's Grandfather Directed Bank Tied to Man Who Funded Hitler
    http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,100474,00.html

How Bush's grandfather helped Hitler's rise to power
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/usa/story/0,12271,1312540,00.html

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

he has not been a horrible governor, but thats only b/c he went from being a bush-lackey (remember his 2004 gop speech?) to going against him when dubyas approval ratings starting their free-fall a few years ago. if he wanted to stay politically viable in california he had to sever his ties w/ bush. i see it as political opportunism, and so i guess he should get credit for being a smart politician.

16. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That is not the German style military skull that the Nazis appropriated.

The totenkopf looks like the following:

[​IMG]

No lower jaw, viewed slightly from the side, and bones under the skull, not behind.

Saying he is showing his secret Nazi sympathies by wearing a biker belt buckle is like saying that he is wearing an SS uniform if he dresses like Johnny Cash. I guess you can basically determine that everybody from Germany or Austria who didn't end up in a concentration camp is not ideologically sound enough for you to be welcome in the USA, but I prefer to think you just haven't really thought this through.

Despite the fact that it happens basically at the drop of a hat by people, those who were born and raised in Germany and Austria after WWII are not Nazis by birth, any more than I can call you Simon Legree and blame you because your grandfather or great grandfather owned slaves.

If you want to hate the man, hate him for what he is and does, not for some supposed racial/cultural taint.

#16 Ottomaton, Dec 23, 2007
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2007
  17. Saint Louis

Saint Louis Member

Looks like a Terminator belt buckle.

18. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Arnie supports Robot Supremacists.

19. jo mama

nice attempt at spin. i never said he shouldnt be welcome in the usa. i said that he shouldnt be president and one of the reasons was that his father was in the sa. it really wouldnt look good.

i never said they were.

i never said i hated him. i just said that he shouldnt be president and one of the reasons is that his father was a nazi storm trooper.

20. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You can explain it with whatever nuance you care for. If you want to quibble about exact details, that seems to only avoid the core point. You believe that he has a taint because of his father. That is fundamentally the point. You can dress it up in whatever language you want.

BTW, if you were any sort of policeman or public servant in the TR, you pretty much had to be a member of one of the party organizations, or you very quickly didn't have a job any longer. Also, he wasn't a storm trooper in the way it is traditionally intended. He joined after the Anschluss, so well after the Knight of the Long Kinives. He joined an organization which was basically a club, and for several years before, hadn't done the 'muscle work' that happened before '34.