1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Willingham to Notre Dame

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Smokey, Dec 31, 2001.

1. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

http://www.espn.go.com/ncf/news/2001/1231/1303561.html

I hate Notre Dame, but I think they'll be good very soon with Willingham. I can't believe Stanford didn't stop this move. Well, I guess Stanford couldn't match a salary between $2-3 million a year. It will be easier for Willingham to recruit at Notre Dame, and that is scary with the job he did at Stanford. I wonder how many recruits will decommit to Notre Dame.

#1 Smokey, Dec 31, 2001
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2001
  2. cmrockfan

cmrockfan Member

This is a great move for Notre Dame. If a coach can win at Stanford in the very strong PAC 10, I think he can win anywhere.

3. Smokey

He's what I hope Mack Brown will become someday.

Great recruiter with a conference championship.

4. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

Finally a smart move by ND. Willingham had a much better resume than Oleary's (even his inflated one), and should have been their original selection. In him they also get a guy with some success at a school with even more rigorous academic standards. Thus they won't take any dings about easing academic requirments whether grounded in reality or perception.

Willingham will be good there, whether good enough to stay a long time is another story. Willingham and his staff prepare his team well and have gotten a splattering of outstanding players to play around mostly average players--thus has produced some quality (but never dominant) teams as a result. However, this doesn't mean he will neccesarily be able to recruit a team full of studs like Spurior, Bowden, Fulmer, Solich/Osburn, and Brown seem to do year in and out. Willingham might be able to at ND, but it is no sure thing, and that is what is expected of him. We will see.

#4 Desert Scar, Dec 31, 2001
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2001
  5. Smokey

Only two coaches currently make over $2 million - Stoops and Spurrier - and both were put over the bar after winning a national championship. ND is gambling Willingham is the answer to their problems. With the scrutiny he will face as head coach at ND, he will earn every penny. Hopefully he is given the chance to play out his contract.

btw, I don't think Brown deserves a raise, however many people think he should get one after an 11 win top 10 finish. When he wins a MNC and/or FSU calls for his services, I'll think about it. Everything else is a lateral move.