1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Evolving game?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Aggie 99, Dec 31, 2001.

1. Aggie 99

Aggie 99 Member

I think that with the less dominating centers and the NBA being able to use zone defenses the game is going to change. I think that the Rockets could be one of the teams that starts the change. This might seem a bit drastic but hang with me.

Do you remember the days of the G.S. Warriors whem they had Run TMC (Mullin, Hardaway, and some one else) I think that WE could do somthing like this. 3 guards and 2 big athletic forwards. There would have to be a few changes but;

1) You have 3 of the top slashers in the game
    Francis, Mobs, and Moochie

2) You have E.G. whom you know can play positions 3-5. Can defend and play good O

3) You would have to acquire another K. Garnet/E.G. type player not a easy thing to do but, we have the draft and a bunch of people we could trade (Cato, KT, MO, TMo, etc...)

4) You have to get better and more consistant shootersThis might mean saying good bye to Walt, and getting Damn Lanky more involved.

5) You would have to get another coach (KNOW THAT I AM NOT A RUDY BASHER)
    We would need to get an up and comming younger style coach from the college ranks like the Miami coach or something simmular. Reason for that is that the college coaches have the run and gun attitude in thier minds already and know the zone and how to exploit it.

I know this is a drastic thing to say but it can't be worse than trying to trade Glen Rice for Reshard Lewis and $ idea.

Plus in case you haven't noticed Dallas is doing pritty well with the scheme. I hate to admit it!!!!!!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

2. chromeNXT

chromeNXT Member

Gee not a lot of replies huh? I think you made it too long and nobody what's to take the time to read it and don't hate on the mavs cause they the only other team in Texas right now(the other being San Antonio. Houston is currently off the map).

Besides how many other teams do you have a combination of names like Dirk Nowitzki, Eduardo Najera, Wang Zhizhi, and Steve Nash?:D

3. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

I'm not sure that I would like three guards and two forwards, but I think that three forwards and two guards could work. Most of all, I want the Rockets to forget about the specific position titles. Instead of having small forwards, point guards, and centers, I'd like the Rockets just to think of their players as forwards, guards, and centers. Steve is not a point guard, he is just a guard. Same for Mobley. I'd like to see Kenny, Eddie, and eventually Mo all start together. Think of them as three forwards, rather than small forward, power forward, and center.

The lineup would look like this:

Francis
    Mobley
    Thomas
    Griffin
    Taylor

Depending on matchups, you could have KT guard the opposing team's small forward, or you could have him guard the other team's power forward. The three would be interchangeable.

The Rockets do not need to worry about starting a true center, because there are very few in the league anyway. Shaq is going to destroy anyone you put out on the floor, so there is no reason to worry about starting a big stiff just to guard him.

4. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Run TMC had 3 legit scorers. The only team I see that even resembles them are the Mavs and Bucks. Richmond in his prime would chew Mobley up and spit him out, Tim Hardaway was 20pt 10asst and the other guy was someone named Mullin whom the Rockets wish they had a guy that could shoot on the move and shot that high of a %. Dallas has it with Cassell,Robinson and Allen, and Dallas hasit with Nash,Finley, and Dirk. All we have is 2 of the componets and by us not pushing the ball, its hard to create the other to get the shots up.

5. Jared Novak

Jared Novak Contributing Member

I actually for once agree with ZRB, but the Rockets have to get away from the traditional 1-5 positions. A starting five of two guards, and two forwards and one center would suffice. But at times you can put a combination of three forwards, and two guards, or one center, three forwards and a guard. Just something to tinker with. A good player in the draft to watch for that is alot like Griffin, but not as polished is Amare Stoudemire. I know he has a troubled past, and there are some shady dealings around him, but he is just a kid who wants to play ball. He is the same size as Griffin, and would make a great frontcourt addition. Think about what kind of frontline the Rockets would have with Griffin, Stoudemire, and a five (hopefully not Cato).

6. mfclark

mfclark Member

Living near and watching games of Stoudemire, I can tell you that he's a 5 year project for any NBA team. All he knows how to do is dunk right now - he has no jumper outside of under the hoop, and while he is rather athletic, he's just another big body (re: Cato) for now. I'd rather have a proven low post player like Chris Marcus - a legit center that will come at a lower price, yet still has the upside.

7. Dm324

Dm324 Member

All he can do is dunk because he dominates the competition

8. Jared Novak

Jared Novak Contributing Member

Even though I have seen a couple of games of Chris Marcus, I'm not completely sold on him. Truth be told if the Rockets get a high lottery pick I'd rather see them trade it for a Theo Ratliff, Elton Brand or decent big body that can play defense, and rebound.

I like Stoudemire, and I think you're right about him being a project, but I don't think it will take five years, maybe three. It may take him the same amount of time to mature that it did McGrady.