1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jeff, other cc.net musicians/audiophiles/computer savvy?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by chievous minniefield, Dec 8, 2001.

1. chievous minniefield

chievous minniefield Contributing Member

greetings, fellow slaves to the groove.

I have a question concerning music and computers.

my roommate has a soundcard on his computer. I believe it's called soundblaster live!. using it in conjunction with soundforge, he is able to do several things that I want to be able to do on my computer, such as:

1) create and edit .wav files from cds he plays in his cd drive.

2) connect other audio devices to his computer to create .wav files[again using soundforge] through a variety of inputs, including digital in/out, rca connections, 1/4" and others.

I have the ability to create .wav files from cds I play in my computer, but the version of soundforge that I have doesn't give me anywhere near as much editing capability as his does. I also have a soundblaster soundcar, but it doesn't allow me to connect outside audio devices [such as a digital 8-track or tape player] to my computer to make .wav files, and I want to be able to do that.

so here are my questions:

1) what type of soundcard do I need to buy in order to allow my computer to access sound from external devices?

1a) is it important whether the soundcard is external or internal? is there a drawback to having an external soundcard?

2) what version of soundforge do I need in order to get the full spectrum of editing capabilities on my .wav files? how many versions are there? what is the most recent version?

3) how much should I anticipate dropping into this to get this whole set-up up and running?

2. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

That really all depends on what exactly you want to do and what kind of quality you want. If you just want external outputs, the nicer version of Soundblaster should do the trick and it isn't terribly expensive.

If, however, you want better quality, you'll need a better interface.

I think it is important to draw a distinction between a sound card and a digtital I/O (input/output) interface. While they do essentially the same things (move sound from the digital domain to the analog domain and vice versa), soundcards, for the most part, are fairly simplistic consumer animals.

Digital I/O's are more complex and designed more for serious recording. Obviously the latter are more expensive.

If you want to just simply take samples on your computer, edit them and then move them off of your hard drive, you can do that with a decent version of Soundblaster. If you want instruments added (guitars, bass, live drums, vocals, etc), you are better off going with some external type of interface. Most of them come with a PCI card in addition to some external interface with 1/4" ins and out or even XLR ins and outs for mics, guitars, etc.

You can also look at the new MOTU 688 which is a firewire interface. The main thing that sets the interfaces apart is their A/D D/A (analog to digital, digital to analog) conversion. The better the interface, the more powerful the converter which makes your sounds record better.

Sonic Foundry lists 5.0 as the latest version of Sound Forge. Their software, Acid Pro, is a ridiculous piece of technology.

Remember that Sound Forge isn't the only music editing software on the market. There are dozens of software packages available from the simplistic and shareware (like Cool Edit) to the very complex (Pro Tools for example). Decide exactly what you want and evaluate software from there.

Again, the more external instrumentation you are planning on adding (vocals, guitar - basically anything that isn't sampled), the more recording power you will need. Sound Forge is a good piece of software but it isn't the only thing out there.

That is completely dependent on what you are doing. Again, for just sampling and playback, you could spend less than $500 and be up and running. The more flexibility you need, the more you will pay. Pro Tools, the full version, retails for $10K and that's just a piece of software!

BTW: Remember that this is still a Mac-dominated industry. While options for the PC are much greater than they used to be, there are still many pieces of software and gear that are made for Mac only and others that make versions for PC that are not as complex as their Mac cousin. Just something to keep in mind.

3. chievous minniefield

hey, Jeff.

thanks for your input. you've given me some good info to consider.

I think I may want to start by putting my focus on obtaining the right software.

if I want to do all of my sampling via my computer, and I want to have a program with an emphasis on editing capabilities [volume, pitch, etc.]. . .

do you or does anyone else have any suggestions as far as a pc software program that is best for sampling?

thanks.

4. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

If you want software for creating great loops and samples, there is probably nothing better than Acid Pro. That in combination with its sister softwary, Sound Forge, and you should do well.

5. chievous minniefield

Jeff,

do you have Acid Pro? if so, what do you use it for primarily? do you use it for sampling or for other applications?

also, what is the difference, technically speaking, between "sampling" and "looping"? I know what I think the difference is. . . I'm just curious if my concept is the same as others'.

6. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

They don't make Acid for Mac so I don't have it.

"Sampling" is when you take a snippet of something that already exists - a vocal, an instrument or even a piece of a song - and edit one small part of it out to use either once or repeeatedly in a new song.

"Looping" is the act of taking that "sample" and playing it over and over in succession so that it becomes the basis of some music.

A drum loop, for example, could come from a sample (either taken from a pop song, from a sample CD or even by recording live drums) or from a drum machine. By playing 1 or 2 bars of it over and over, you get a drum track.

Understand that "samples" can also be just sounds or effects as well. They don't have to be musical phrases. Synthesizers have sampled pianos, horns, etc. in them. Someone recorded the notes on a piano and then sampled each one and put it in the memory of the synth. You can even sample the reverb in a room by recording the decay of hands clapping or a voice, whatever.

7. chievous minniefield

do you do any sampling? looping?

what music software do you use for your Mac?

8. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

I don't record on my Mac. I use a combination of a stand alone hard disk recorder and some other gear.

I am going to add a Mac to my system this year and go with a pair of MOTU 688 firewire interfaces running EMagic's Audio Logic and, eventually, Pro Tools. I think that I'm going to buy one of the older blue/white G3's and just upgrade the processor to a 500mhz, put in 512MB of ram and add a 60GB hard drive. Those were the last Mac's that had SCSI on them but many of them also had USB and Firewire boards on them too meaning lots of flexibility. I can get one on Ebay with a monitor and do the upgrades for under $1500 - a lot less than buying a new G4 and speed isn't essential to me since I will be doing the bulk of my actual track recording on another machine. The Mac will mainly be for editing, sampling, sequencing MIDI and special FX.

I do a small amount of sampling currently, but usually the hard way by recording and then editing with a tempo map/sync track. I do a lot of loops but I program the vast majority of them using a Alesis DM Pro drum module and an external sequencer. I just find loops I like and duplicate them with the DM Pro. It gives me a little more flexibility because it is MIDI, plus I am like a drum programming nut. I've been doing it for years and I'm really picky about drums anyway.

I'll often add live drum parts to the loop like brushes on snare or a snare drum with the snares off, things like that just to add. I'll just overdub those on as live tracks once the loop is recorded throughout the entire song.

9. chievous minniefield

hey, Jeff.

sorry for yet another question. . . let me know if you'd prefer me to just e-mail you about these music questions.

if I wanted to buy one of the interfaces like you were talking about. . . the ones that allow you to connect different musical devices to your computer. . . where would I want to go to do that? guitar center? would there be a place with more knowledgable sales people than g.c.?

thanks again for your help with this stuff.

10. chievous minniefield

11. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Sorry for the delay. I tried to answer this yesterday but my computer went haywire. Before going and buying something, I would check out the stuff that you are interested in online and ask around. Here are a few sites that might help...

<a href="http://www.homerecording.com/">HomeRecording.com</a>
    <a href="http://home.earthlink.net/~rongonz/home_rec/home.html">The Musician's Guide to Home Recording</a>
    <a href="http://www.homerecordingmag.com">Home Recording Magazine</a>
    <a href="http://www.recordingmag.com/mumak/Recording">Recording Magazine</a>
    <a href="http://industryclick.com/magazine.asp?siteid=15&magazineid=33">Electronic Musician Magazine</a> - This one is geared towards your kind of stuff.

Also, you'll want to search under Digital Audio Workstation or DAW in Yahoo as well as "home recording" and "digital recording". You'll find plenty o' links for that. Read up on stuff, hit the bulletin boards and ask questions.

I would also check out <a href="http://www.vsplanet.com">VSPlanet.com</a>. They are mainly for Roland VS recorder users but they have a big section of their BBS dedicated to DAW stuff. Also there are several <a href="http://groups.yahoo.com">Yahoo Groups</a> dedicated to to recording. They are always helpful.

When you are done, Guitar Center or Mars Music will be the best places to find software here in town. You can also find a ton through catalogs like Sweetwater Sound, Musician's Friend and others. Most of the music retailers that do mail order are online just like many of the software mail order places.

Look first because there is a lot out there. Good luck!