1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

WHY DIDNT EG START?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by EGRULES, Dec 28, 2001.

1. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Here's some more on KT's disappointment from the Chron:

<i>Rockets forward Kenny Thomas was moved back into the starting lineup Friday after coming off the bench Wednesday in what coach Rudy Tomjanovich called "a special circumstance."

"I can't have guys worried about getting injured and losing their job, it's not right," Tomjanovich said. "Then I'll have guys playing when they're hurt and getting more hurt. It's just got to be the way it is.

"I talked to Kenny. I think he understood that we had lost 15 games (in a row) and just won one. I couldn't just ignore that, but that was a special circumstance."

Thomas said he was not thrilled coming off the bench, but understood.

"It was kind of expected," Thomas said. "We had lost 15 straight and got a win. <b>Now things are back to normal. From my understanding, if somebody gets hurt, they never lost their job.</b> He talked to me about it.

"Who wouldn't want to start? Unfortunately, I got hurt. I think I had a decent game last game. He thought that was a decision he had to make." </i>

2. DearRock

DearRock Contributing Member

There is no justification for putting KT on the bench. There is a seasoning process going on with KT that should not be disrupted at this point. He knows and we know more about what he can do in this league than we did and that increasing awareness should continue. EG has nothing to do with that. If EG deserves a starting spot it should not be at the expense of KT. EG was extremely effective last night and he did not start and I do not believe that he would have shot better if he had started. The key with EG is to give him minutes which he got alot of last night. In fact on the chat I called for him to be taken out because he was tired. So he is getting more than enough time.

As someone said, should Walt have started? I am indifferent on that. He is a senior member of the team and have had some good games and seem to have his touch at the moment.

I really must confess that I have not seen many glaring opportunities for KT to pass to EG and he did not.

We must also remember that we are in a state of flux and things are not yet settled. Hopefully the next two weeks would bring reasonable stability.

3. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

How much stregnth does it take when you have a guy buy 5"? All he had to do is post and just jump over the little guys. Anyway you look at it its an uncontested shot. Its no way a 6'5 guy can contest a guy 6'10, period. I think thats where Cat really rubs me the wrong way. He , Griffin ,had Sura and Mills on him and Cat would just wave him off. That made no sense at all. As far as Thomas crying, he couldn't start for another team in the league. If Griffin continues to get better, those days are numbered too. He just need to shut up and play like he has all season. Rudy really takes the high ground a lot though.

4. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

I don't have a problem with KT starting over Griffin either. The guy is only 19. He'll have plenty of time.

However, there were at least 3 instances I saw last night where KT waved off EG and went on his own. Mobley did it twice. Eventually, EG will be the one doing the waving. No harm at this point.

5. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

1. I do not think someone should loose their spot to injury
    2. KT has earned his spot. I can say that he COULD start for SEVERAL teams [BTW would you trade him for FIZER like everyone wanted last year. . . I WOULD NOT!!]

IF Kt is trade I will still be a fan of his . .. much like I'm a
    fan of Chucky brown . .THEY BRING IT . . everynight

So
    If Moochie had had 10 of 15 good games.. . .
    would Francis's job be in jeopardy?

Honestly, folx seem to Hate on KT because
    a. he only 6'7
    b. He was not a big name draft pick
    c. He kinda quiet

EG is bringing it. Kt is bringing it. I cannot say that MO T brought it

More than likely though . . . KT will be moved.
    He will have a Good Career. He just the odd man out
    1. High draft pick [Eddie] and 2 is the highly Paid Free agent [Mo]

Rocket River
    KT Fan Club Parlimentarian

6. pooh222

pooh222 Member

You make it seem that the only thing EG has going for him is that he is a high draft pick. Well, the reason why he is a high draft pick is because he has a lot of talent, more than Thomas. If it comes down to having to let either KT or Mo go than so be it. EG is a future superstar, something that KT an Mo will never be.

7. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

Whats gonna happen next year when Mo gets back? It looks to me that KT will be moved in the off season to make space for Eddie and Mo.

8. Dm324

Dm324 Member

Let Mo or Kenny Change positions, Eddie is our lottery pick, the guy were supposed to build around, kenny is a good 12-7 guy for his career, but Eddie has the potential to be an all-star, so why would we make him change positions

9. Woofer

Woofer Contributing Member

In an interview Rudy said he had to start KT because otherwise, hurt players would continue to play while hurt - fearing they would lose their starting position, instead of taking time off to heal. Quite frankly, Walt should have lost his starting position to EG/Oscar.

10. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

Loyalty.

11. haven

haven Member

Just because Eddie was a high draft pick and *looks* like he has potential doesn't mean it will ever be realized. What if you alienate people like KT, and Eddie flops? Then you've got a disgruntled productive player to go along with a could-have-been. Other players on the roster will resent this as well.

Let Griffin outplay Thomas before you award him the starting spot. If he's so good, he'll surpass Thomas before too long. It's not like he's not getting any minutes.

Right now, Kenny's the better player. And I think you should start your best players, regardless of what position in the draft they were taken in.