1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Does JVG know something we don't know?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by michecon, Dec 21, 2007.

1. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

And he is obviously wrong to say this because pretty much every coach in the NBA does the same.

It is just that simple.

They pursued Francis last season, apparently.

#41 SamFisher, Dec 21, 2007
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2007
  2. denniscd

denniscd Contributing Member

jvg traded sprewell for starks, camby for oakley, so he obviously wasnt that worried about character over talent. he traded for mcgrady, signed bonzi initially etc.

funny, the spurs after their top 3 want veterans with high character and that has won them alot.

its not all black and white...if jvg had paced his team differently in the regular season last year, they would have won less and played san antonio, dallas, or phoenix in the first round or not had the homecourt vs. utah. how would that have been good for the team? so under that assumption, rick adelman is doing it right this year not requiring the players to play hard or practice hard.

panda the best thing to do when you are wrong is just man up and say "im wrong"

3. Panda

Panda Member

Who said I was done? I'll keep sticking that fork into JVG until his puppets understands it's a waste of 4 years to support this assistant coach.

Ok, Ryan Bowen was a bad example. I underestimated his worth, but one bad example doesn't ruin my case. Jeff doesn't respect talent enough, he has never put enough emphasis on talent.
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    Here is what Jeff said in 2004 on talent:

“I crack up,” Van Gundy said. “(Media) always say it. Players always say it. Players, when they’re losing, say, ‘I don’t understand why we’re losing. We got a lot of talent. ’ Obviously if you’re one of the top 400 in your profession in the whole world, you have a lot of talent. Obviously. Unfortunately, so does the competition.

So what separates teams is not talent, it’s habits. Whatever habits you have will come out. What you’re constantly trying to do as a coach is create habits that are winning habits. What I’m trying to get our team to understand is not to be one of those teams that has to be the famous, ‘I don’t understand why we’re losing, we have a lot of talent.’ I ’d rather not lose. I’d rather try to explain, you can’t win until you understand what
    loses, in any sport.

“What loses are turnovers, bad shots, poor containment of the ball, (not) helping on defense, not rebounding, lack of poise under pressure. There’s a lot. Not one of them is decided in this league … on talent. ‘We got out-talented tonight. We don’t have enough talent.’ What does that mean? We didn’t have enough production. This is a production-oriented business, as are most.”

“I don’t understand this obsession with talent.‿
    Houston Chronicle – 10/27/04

-------------------------------------------------------------
    Now let me take some due jabs at these idiotic thoughts

So what separates teams is not talent, it’s habits.

This is laughable. Of course talent seperates teams from teams!

I pity the JVG apologists worshipping a guy with such a blurred view. JVG is out of touch with reality, you don't have a shot without a serious roster in this league, plain and simple!

“What loses are turnovers, bad shots, poor containment of the ball, (not) helping on defense, not rebounding, lack of poise under pressure. There’s a lot. Not one of them is decided in this league … on talent.

Pure BS.JVG doesn't respect talent because he doesn't know clearly what is talent. Great talents are able to reduce Tos, avoid bad shots, play great help defense, grabs boards like crazy, and maintain poise under pressure, that's why they are called talents! Gosh, and JVG is delusional enough to deny that those things having anything to do with talent. What JVG doesn't understand is, the effect of a player’s winning habits is largely decided by talent he has! You must have both talent and good habits in place in win a ring!

“I don’t understand this obsession with talent.‿

That's why JVG has been a playoffs loser, obsessed only with good habits. A great coach is obsessed in acquiring both, talent and winning habits! JVG is an one sided and unbalanced coach. He sucks.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
    If that’s not enough, the idiotic view of JVG is still the same after three years, April 4, 2007:

"You can never exhale if you want to be a champion," Van Gundy said. "You can never relax, you can never think we've arrived and you can never underestimate the competition. It's a miserable way to live. It is. It's a miserable way to live. But if you want to be a champion, then you're willing to be that miserable and that exhausted.

"That's why you see Michael Jordan grabbing that (championship) trophy and breaking down, because of all you had to go through to get to that point. And you see that year in and year out — the champions really do pay the price. It doesn't have to be a lot more, but it has to be a little more than their opponent.

"And that is an exhausting, miserable, grinding experience.But if you want to win at this level, you're not going to out-talent anybody. You're going to pay a deeper price for something that you consider meaningful. And that's how you can tell if a guy considers something to be meaningful."
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

But if you want to win at this level, you're not going to out-talent anybody.
    Exactly the opposite, you have to out-talent team first to win. Without talent, winning habits are useless. With talent, winning habits can be formed. Talent can’t be increased but winning habits can be formed!

If a team don't have talent, can you teach players to have talent? If a team don't have winning habits, can you teach them winning habits? Yes.

This is just another gem from JVG the fools gold, we were duped to buy into his exhausting, miserable and grinding way of winning for 4 years, and found out we got our ass whooped in the playoffs!

Neglecting the importance of talent, focusing way too much on winning habits, trying to win regular season games in the hardest way is why JVG is out of the door. It's not the right way to win!

Say no to JVG and stop being duped!

4. denniscd

you are interpreting wrong you big ole panda bear you...he never said talent wasnt important, he said it was the deciding factor in winning because every team has highly talented players...san antonio doesnt have the best talent, but they do have the best habits.

you can value both...jvg obviously values both...and so you are wrong, but thats ok if you dont want to fess up.

5. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Panda ... he was being a coach. In that mode, his comments that teams shouldn't be concerned with their "talent" is absolutely correct. As an analyst, he's talked at length about the importance of having talent. He's not a dumbass.

Recently on the radio, he explained that whenever he said in our 05/06 season that "we have enough to win" as a coach, he wasn't being completely honest. He explained that was the message he needed to get across to the team to keep them competitive, even though deep down he knew that they simply didn't have enough (due to injuries) to compete and win.

6. denniscd

by the way...this is also want bill belichick preaches up in new england by the way...that it is all about habits and fitting into roles, not just talent...look that up you big ole panda bear

7. eatsleepdrink

eatsleepdrink Member

Panda actually has a point. (and I'm curious how he/she keeps all these quotes)

8. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Why don't you just admit that you were wrong about Bowen?

Because obviously you were.

Come on Panda, you are westernized enough to acknowledge the fact that you shot your mouth off and lost some crucial face, right?

Hey it happens to all of us.

Merry christmas and enjoy this great Rockets season!

9. denniscd

he loves the jvg man

10. Panda

Panda Member

How does JVG value both when all he does is to talk about working habits, blah blah blah, and never emphasize the importance of talent? He is what he preaches, and all I see is him preaching winning habits.

11. Panda

Panda Member

Well, Merry christmas. I did acknowledge in my previous post that Bowen was a bad example. I'm man enough to thank people for pointing out his value around the league to me.

12. wingz0

wingz0 Member

Let me just break up the back and forth between JVG and point out this part of his quote:

Sound familiar?

That's exactly what some of our players are saying, that they don't know why the team's playing bad. They don't know why they're losing.

Heck, even Adelman has come out to the media and given several 'I don't know"s.

Not trying to judge Adelman, but just something to ponder.

13. Dave McNulla

Dave McNulla Member

i think the most talented team is atlanta. the hawks have some major raw talent, like joe johnson, josh smith, josh childress, marvin williams, al horeford, acie law, etc. they've been losers (but they are beginning to put it together and they are above .500 now).

i think it takes talent and winning habits. one winning habit is to improve every season.

14. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Who cares what he says? Lots of what he says is for motivation.

What matters is what he does, and he routinely acquired and played the more talented players.

If this is your "evidence" then it isn't much.

15. FlawZero

FlawZero Member

After reading these quotes, I think JVG >>>>>>> you.

What he was trying to say is just don't be obsessed by the talent thing. Come on, he's a coach, isn't getting more talent a GM's job? When you have a set of players, that's just about how much talent you can have. Like you said, talent is not something you can teach, what is he supposed to do? Grow more talent from his players? Whining about "we're just out-talented" after every loss? Or risk ruining the team's chemistry by letting those slackers start just because they're supposed to be more talented? I don't think so.

JVG was trying to make his players believe that they have enough talent because they're among the best 400 players in the world, and seek into themselves more instead of whining or daydreaming about something you can't change. He's helping them growing mental toughness, as long as other winning habits, which I believe, was the right course to take.

BTW, JVG did try to get more talent here, still remember the T-Mac trade? Doesn't T-Mac has a hell lot of talent in him? Sadly even JVG couldn't help him growing a little more mental toughness...

16. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

It's sad when people have minimal reading comprehension skills. Van Gundy said it the other day that his talks about "energy" as a coach were, as you said, not actually honest. He knew at times the team just wasn't good enough, but, as a coach, he couldn't send that message to the players.

Unlike people who b**** and moan about him and the team over the last few years, Van Gundy actually tries hard to send a positive message of "we can be better" to the team, rather than all of the "We suck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" **** you see on this board.

17. giantboy

giantboy New Member

because he works in his system, that system just work smoothly when all stuffs fitting into it.

18. wolverinemich

wolverinemich Member

I like your comments about JVG being a successful regular season coach.

19. zong

zong Member

JVG got four years to get out the first round, but he did not. Now it is the time for Rick A (at least who had a better record in NBA than JVG). Plus that Rick A is not given for four years, maybe one or two years to do it. He will be let go if he can not do it. It looks likey that the player like Tmac has more problems than JVG or Rick A.

20. johnrox

johnrox Member

yep, no excuses, you do your best under any circumstances. no whining, no complaining, and for sure no woe is me attitude.