1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why is Walt still starting?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Dec 31, 2001.

Tags:
  1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Torres is clearly playing better and is part of our future, why is Rudy even playing Walt?

The man can do one thing...and one thing only.....and he is not even doing that very well

Does anyone think that Rudy is showcasing Walt to try to trade him before the trade deadline?

DD

2. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

Walt has been playing great basketball lately. He is shooting 43 percent from three-point land, and he has been doing quite well on the boards. When the Rockets make an effort to involve Walt, he usually produces. He deserves to start.

3. DaDakota

Supporting Member

ZRB,

Walt is not a part of the Rockets future plans...or at least he should NOT be, he is NOT playing well, and is a horrible defender.

Walt is, at best, one dimensional, and that is not good enough.

Time to take out the trash.

DD

4. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I have to disagree. Walt is a good shooter, and decent rebounder for a SF, and a decent passer as well (partly why he was compared to Magic so much when he was younger). It is true that he is not a great defender, but that is largely because he is an AWFUL perimeter defender. But in the post, he has often shown that he can really hold his own against players bigger than him.

And at any rate, what is so bad about having one dimensional players anyway? In the Rockets championship seasons, we had plenty of one dimensional players. They are called role players, and every team has to have them. Sure, Walt likely won't be around when this team starts seriously contending for a championship, but that doesn't mean we should just cast him aside right now.

I would also like to add that I do think that Oz should be starting at SF (hell, if I didn't, my sig statement wouldn't be worth much, would it?). But Walt should still have a large role on the team, regardless of age, because he does produce, and is a heady player on a team full of youth and inexperience.

5. DaDakota

Supporting Member

I think Walt is not going to help this team much, and it is time to move him.

OT is a much better player at this point.

Walt has his moments for sure, but the Rockets need energy, and that is something that Walt has NEVER brought to the table.

DD

6. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

One thing that Dakota said is true. Walt is not part of the Rockets future. However his $6 million in salary space that will free up this offseason is part of the Rockets future, so I don't see him being traded unless a deal comes along that we simply can't pass up and I don't see anything like that on the horizon.

7. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Pimp,

We will be over the cap regardless of losing Walt's salary.

The only way we can get value for Walt is to trade him or to (gag!!!) re-sign him.

DaDakota

8. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

DaDa-But, losing Walt's salary allows Les flexibility to take on a guy who would be due a big salary (think like this past year's draft, and trading our possible top 5 pick for a stud who won't resign in his current situation, or otherwise will make too much money, Odom or Miles, and Bender come quickly to mind) and/or keep us away from lux. tax when Francis' hit comes in, and/or allows us to use the MCE without fear of the luxury tax.

9. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

I know what you mean DaDakota, but I'm just telling you why Rudy is starting Walt. I would start Oscar as well. However, I do think Walt is doing a good job.

10. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

who is to say oz has a future with the Rocks?

is he a restricted fa, because he only has a one year deal? We wouldn't even have bird rights for him would we?

I wouldn't mind having Walt back, next year, but only if he agrees to a MUCH cheaper contract.

11. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

A vet minimum, million dollar a year Walt Williams would be an excellent signing, in my opinion.

12. Woofer

Woofer Contributing Member

Maybe Rudy like the matchups better with Walt instead of Oscar but it's not like we're going to make the playoffs and we'd be better off getting playing time for someone who's not eligible for social security.