1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Francis Minutes Increase - KT Out with Hip Pointer

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Jeff, Dec 29, 2001.

1. DearRock

DearRock Contributing Member

Crispee, while you are dishing it, could you provide some thoughts on Morris, if you have not already done so?

2. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

cp, for the most part I agree with you, but I'd just like to say ...

when he puts his mind to it, Mason can back down almost everyone in the league.

3. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

The only thing Crispee's dishing out is airent dialogue..:D

4. Band Geek Mobster

I think KT and EG sort of dare I say, complement each other...

EG gets pushed around by the bigger PF's with a lower center of gravity (Malone's, Mason's, Grant's, etc), while KT doesn't fair well against the taller center like PF's (KG's, Duncan's, Wallace's, etc). Luckily, what one player has difficulty against, the other player can play well against.

I like seeing EG start because I hope he plays well, forcing Rudy to find a way to start both him and KT, hopefully at center...

5. jerinrulz

jerinrulz Contributing Member

heypee y all the animosity man? i agree w/ u, griff has problems w/ the big guys, and KT does deserve a spot over him...rite now...i think we should let both start and have Cato comin off as a 6th/7th man....i mean its not like hes gettin killer minutes newayz, so theres no reason to start the guy.....btw, im likin his hussle of late.....newayz can we do nethin at all w/ langhi....i hate seein a talent like that wasted

6. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

KT is playing well enough to keep his starting job, and Eddie is playing well enough to merit one. Kind of similar to the Mobley/Shanderson situation-- if Griffin continues to be a rebounding, and shotblocking hoss, it will be Cato who loses his starting job. Willis has already lost his 1st big man off the bench role, and Cato, like Walt will be next. We're already seeing it down the stretch-Griffin was in during the 4th quarter with KT, until KT went down, and Griffin fouled out.

I'm excited about seeing Francis re-integrated into the offense, especially with Griffin, because Griffin was getting garbage minutes when Francis was healthy. I saw so many plays with Moochie and Griffin that I said, "That looks like a perfect design for Francis and Griffin".

Rudy has done an excellent job at helping cover up Griff's lack of strength, by denying the entry pass. He's forcing the shot clock way down on post ups, and in low shot clock situations, Griffin has a huge advantage as a shotblocker.

The injury question will be very interesting next year-If Griffin keeps progressing, and stays at PF, does he start next year? Does Thomas, with a solid job filling in for Taylor? Does Taylor, clearly the starter before injury, how about after when KT shows 13-7 stability, and Griffin shows explosive 18-10-2.5 stud potential?

While I'm on Griffin, the comparisons to Ratliff are off, IMO. Griffin is an equal shot blocker, but an even better rebounder. Ratliff has never been a terrific rebounder because he's out of position from the shot block attempt. Griffin's quick leaping ability seems to make up for that. Griffin also has offensive skills Ratliff dreams of. There are three things holding Griffin back from superstardom-lack of strength, consistency and experience. All are within in his reach.

7. DearRock

DearRock Contributing Member

NIKE, while you are correct on alot of what you wrote, you are way too generous about EG. He looks sloppy putting the ball on the floor and his turnaround jumper is not there yet. All correctable I must say but let us try to contain our generousity.

8. Roc Paint

Where's Griffin's key to the city?;)

9. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

I could care less what the hell KY jelly does in practice against Griff. The last thing we need are one-on-one players.

If KT can block shots, rebound, and shoot 3s like Eddie, then by all means start him.

But he can't, so Kenny is better off playing with dogs who don't bite.

10. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

In comparing him to Ratliff, he is equal, if not better in both of those categories. As for his turnaround, watching him in college and the summer leagues, it IS there. For some reason, he hasn't been given many oppurtunities to use it.

11. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

jerinrulz,

first, what animosity have I shown other than at Roc's statements, which we now have settled as me being overly reactionary to dreamcasting. If you are actually thinking I'm showing animosity to Griffin, allow me to say that is not true.

Griffin deserves his 30+ minutes, and I'd do everything to get him it short of reducing Kenny's times while he continues showing vast improvement. We cannot give Griffin much more than 30 minutes for fear of him hitting the wall before April, anyhow (keep him fast, healthy and strong). I say, screw the centers their minutes and let the mismatching chips fall as they may. If Dallas can play megaminutes without a center, so can we.

JayZ,

Oh, now exaggerate KT into being a cry-baby with a bad attitude. Yeah, KT has a bad attitude :rolleyes: Boy, your last post is as bull-bashing as they come.

And exactly when did he become a selfish one-on-one player, and Griffin shown up as a passer. You do know that Griffin never passes. Don't show such transparent bias. Further, just today you have taken a coach game plan and question it as ISO based, then separately bash a player for running that plan. I don't get that at all. You can't both question Rudy's plan and KT for executing it, unless of course you are going to question Francis when he goes ISO and waves off players. I can't believe you just bashed KT like that and say "all reports, and opinions on this site." That is just crap. Have you even seen the front page poll that has Kenny starting at 35%, and it would be much more if Mo' was not allowed in the poll. Besides, the story in the Chronicle as reported by Jeff is that Kenny was upset right off, and Rudy still went with Griffin, but explained it to KT as a special circumstance that goes against Rudy's normal philosophy. That is one (Jonathan Feigen's to be exact) of "all reports, and opinion of this site." Who "reported" KT was being a "cry-baby." what a crock of unobjectivity spewing out of Jayz mouth.

KT is an excellent team player, showing up with most heart by "many opinions on this bbs," as you'd say since you are too passive to state your own opinions or are not watching enough Rox basketball. Don't come in trying to make him sound like a pouting selfish player...and that is e.x.a.c.t.l.y. what you just said. You are showing up very transparent.

pooh222,

You do notice that Rudy is starting KT and says he should start, yet Rudy is giving EG 30+ minutes now, too. I guess Rudy is related to KT and EG. Without naming names :rolleyes: (kidrock8 and lil pooh, too *cough*) several posters here are just kids playing Dreamcaster in their minds, and configuring images on the court.

DearRock,

TMo's offense is just too disruptive for us for me to give him much time. I like him, and if we had a halfway decent center, I'd love to go with more defense sometimes, but we just suffer when TMo and one of our centers is out there a little too much to offset his defense. imo.

CriscoKidd,

It hasn't been just Mason. Griffin is having trouble stopping almost any PF from getting prime position. Now tonight, he has a finesse PF up against him, right? Plus, I suspect we will go centerless a lot. This would be a great game to see both KT and EG together. *sigh*

BGM,

Since when has Griffin played KG and Duncan well. That is a myth. Griffin is a stud on help defense. In the block, he is suffering a lot from the strength issue, right now. Besides, KT has played Duncan rather well anyhow. KT is also showing up with some stellar denial defense from his quickness.

Griffin best defense was against Wallace; I'd agree with that.

It is my opinion that Griffin is not playing better one-on-one defense than KT, right now. His potential is being hyped to the point of visions of grandeur that are not there, yet, although I expect they will be someday, just like everyone does.

<b>bottomline:</b>

Not rewarding KT for his defensive effort and scoring improvement is a coaching blunder. It can only help our team to get *both* KT and EG 30+ minutes. I'm getting annoyed with those who bash Rudy to be more "creative" yet aren't creative themselves enough to see that getting KT and EG 30+ minutes is possible, and helpful now and for the future. Quit playing under the rules of Dreamcaster and Fantasy Leagues...be creative.

#31 heypartner, Dec 30, 2001
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2001
  12. Roc Paint

Crispee looks like he might be ready to bust out of his glass ceiling.:p

13. Band Geek Mobster

Well I remember in our first game against Minny, seeing KG just destroy our team in the first quarter. He'd just shoot a hook right over KT without any troubles. He couldn't do that against EG, and then started to take more jumpshots if I remember correctly.

I know this will be less meaningful, but I remember the preseason game against the Spurs in which we racked up a lot of blocked shots. You could be right about the weakside blocks against the Spurs, I can't remember who was guarding Duncan between Cato and EG. All I do know is that our best defense against the Duncan's and KG's has been when we've either placed Eddie or Cato on them. It's as if they don't even notice KT's there because of his height.

But this is all from memory...

14. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I can't recall whether we went to a double team on Garnett or what. I seem to remember a team defensive change on him, not something a 19yr did by himself.

As for the defense on Duncan in pre-season, man, now there is a picture floating around on this bbs of Duncan giving Griffin a facial. Duncan just walks to the rim against Griffin.

15. Band Geek Mobster

So what if Duncan got a slam on EG once?

16. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Crisp-

There is one thread where it has it mentioned in the chronicle (the one from Jeff you alluded to) and another where there is an article about it from the SPortingNews. I dont know if these are accurate or not. But assuming they are, you can not deny the fact that KT cries when he doesnt get to start. That is a selfish high school attitude. He is NOT a superstar, will not be a superstar and has no right whatsoever to cry about not starting. And are you even watching the games. KT is not passing to WIDE OPEN players under the basket. Further, when he gets the ball wide open, does he shoot a mid range jump shot? NO. Every time, every single time he will wait for someone to guard him. Im sorry, but IMO that is not smart basketball, but it is selfish basketball - its a "i can take anyone guarding me one on one" type attitude. Regardless of what I think about an isolation strategy towards the game I know that Rudy does not tell his players to wait until their guarded to make their play or to pas over wide open players. It is easy to confuse heart and effort with teamwork and a lack of selfishness. I'm not trying to make him sound like a pouting, selfish player...he's doing it for himself. Its really simple. Either he cried about not starting or he didnt. If he did, as sources indicate he has, it lends credibility to his being selfish. That, in combination to his selfish play on the court, has made ME report that he is a cry-baby. If you dont agree that is fine. Difference of opinion is what makes the world such an interesting place.

And to bring Francis into the argument. I mean, if Francis has a problem its that he defers too much of the offensive shooting to his teammates. Regardless, he has NEVER ever decided not to make the smart, open pass to the player under the basket to do some wild crazy spin move.

You cant deny the fact that throughout the win streak KT, once getting the ball, has had one and only one mindset - the "Im going to do it myself at all costs" attitude. It never works and will only go to harm this team in the future - most likely through his attitude once everyone gets healthy next year.

Granted, Griffin likes to jack it up. But isnt it wierd how in all his games as a starter he has put up better overall numbers than KT has in nearly every game he's played in his career. Further, like Francis, I have yet to see Griffin make bonehead plays where he bypasses open players frequently to put it all on his shoulders.

Call me crazy for wanting to develope a future stud and star in this league while we sit at the 3rd worst record in the West, but that would be what I would do, instead of catering to a great bench player, but a tweener who will never be much more.

#36 JayZ750, Dec 30, 2001
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2001
  17. pooh222

pooh222 Member

AMEN!!!