1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official}Astros or former Astros named in Mitchell report

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Nov 13, 2007.

1. DoitDickau

DoitDickau Contributing Member

At this point i wouldn't be surprised at any names associated with steroids. When Nefi Perez is outed you know it's not just the big bad sluggers that are using. What i was trying to say by mentioning gwynn's and thomas' names is that 1994 saw huge increases in power numbers by everyone in baseball including those who are universally seen as steroid free. I would say that Thomas' meeting with mitchell works in his favor, but i wouldn't hold anyone's refusal to meet (esp those not involved/alleged) against them.

bagwell didn't reach his peak weight until at least around 1998 if not more like 2000. This is all just my recollection, so take it for what it's worth, but i doubt bagwell was more than 10-15 heavier in 1994 than as a rookie in 1991 if that. It's not unreasonable to think that a top professional athlete in his early 20 can put on that amount of weight in 3 years without the help of illegal PED.

As far as your World Strongest Man question, my guess would be that to get to the weight, stength, and total muscle mass needed to compete at that level would take years. Work and, probably steroid abuse, from one's teenage/early 20 years probably into one's 30's. One can gain strength much easier in their 20's but to get to the cumulative amount of weight/strength needed to compete at that level probably take a long number of years. Which would explain the number of 30 yr olds in the competition.

It's not my contention that athletes are at their peak weight, muscle mass, strength, in their early 20's, only that it's easier at that time to put on muscle quickly. I don't disagree that anyone in the 30, and much later, can put on muscle mass, just that it gets significantly harder once you get past your early mid 20's. However, if someone started lifting/ using steroids at 20 and continues, i would guess that he/she could lift more in their 30 than in their 20's even if it's easier to gain the younger they are.

Bonds raises more red flags because he put on more muscle weight at an older age and at a much quicker rate than bagwell. It's much hard/more unusual for some one to put on that amount of muscle naturally in their late thirties than it is in their early 20's. It's also my contention that he put on the weight in a much shorter period of time.

It might or might not have been convenient to this point, but do you deny that he didn't experience the injury or the symptoms? And his injury wasn't just a typical baseball injury, his shoulder was really messed up. IIRC torn rotator, labrum tear (both of which even in this day of advanced surgery are basically career ending for pitchers), and arthritis. Add to that the fact that apparently his father had the same condition in his shoulder and there may be a genetic argument to the injury? Btw he injured his shoulder and began to experience weight/muscle loss and performance loss at the end of 2001. MlB didn't begin testing until 2003.

Basically i don't know if he used. He might well have, but I don't think the evidence we have on him is anywhere close to enough to say with any certainity that he did. And that observational evidence can be explained by practical reasons.

2. DoitDickau

Let me try to clarify my explanation. I'm far from an expert, but from what i understand it my be easier for an ~18 to put on muscle than even for the same person at 25. yet even if that person at 18 gains more muscle quicker, he still will be stronger/ have more muscle mass at 25 than at 18 (provide he keeps lifting, yada). It's a question of cumulative strength/mass vs. the ability to add muscle quickly.

3. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Watch out.

Roger has hired Rusty Hardin.

4. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I found someone who doesn't use Roids for the MLB!!
    <object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/opvBzRxIIP0&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/opvBzRxIIP0&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

5. DoitDickau

I really need to contribute so that i can edit my posts :( :

6. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I would have quoted Shawshank Redemption. :)

"Well, considering that I am innocent of these charges, I find it decidedly INconvenient."

7. tinman

Supporting Member

basketball:
    son- dad, i keep missing this free throw
    dad- just practice, remember your follow through and rotation

baseball:
    son- dad, i can't hit this home run or throw the ball 95 mph.
    dad- stick your arm out ....(needle injection) there you go!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

8. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

Irony:

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/c-w_LJTiREY&rel=1&border=0"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/c-w_LJTiREY&rel=1&border=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

9. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Oooooh another good one!

How about this one:
    Basketball
    Son: Dad, what am I supposed to do when I think the babysitter is hot.
    Dad: Slam her head against the table and rape her.

Or maybe:
    Son: Dad, what am I supposed to do after a game?
    Dad: Go to a strip club and get in a gunfight!

10. tinman

Supporting Member

none of this affects a jump shot.

drugs affect homeruns and fastballs.

11. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

I'm not of the Bagwell is absolutely clean camp... I have my suspicions... but his career did follow a more normal arc in terms of stats. Nothing really jumps out at you except perhaps his batting average during his MVP year. His best RBI years are his early 30's and then they start to taper off. Average and Slugging% follow the same pattern.

Whereas Bonds hits 258 HRs between the ages of 35 and 40? No way.

Whereas Clemens has a total SO number of 460 between the ages of 30 and 33... where his record is 29-25, but then goes for 820 strike outs during the next 3 years... which includes his highest SO total ever and 3 of his top 4... and has a record of 51-26? No way... that just does not happen naturally for pitchers (unless you're a knuckleballer). Not coincidentally, that jump in productivity started when he went to Toronto.

12. tinman

Supporting Member

Clemens, Pettitte, Tejedja??

The Astros??? no..

THE

ASTEROIDS

13. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

[​IMG]

14. DoitDickau

I don't know. I seriously doubt any players get suspended over this. At the very least I'd expect to MLBPA to vigorously fight any attempt at punishment.

I wouldn't be surprised if it were just Selig attempting to engage in PR gamesmanship with the union. By making his statement at a time when the public and the media are at an uproar over this issue he appears proactive. A union response against this kind of punishment puts them in a very public unpopular position right now. I think that's one of the main reason why Fehir was so cautious and almost tepid is his response yesterday.

15. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

if we all just ignore you, will you go away?

16. tinman

Supporting Member

i'll be here til the end of time MadMax!

Hey, don't blame me, I didn't make this Mitchell thing up. I'm happy about it! you're just hating on my enjoyment.

17. weslinder

18. weslinder

19. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

i'll just go on ignoring you, anyway. :D

why you'd be happy about this is beyond me...but ok.

20. tinman

Supporting Member

haha, I'll never ignore you MadMax, you've chosen the best nickname on the BBS, that's why i'm so jealous of you!
    ;)

I told you I don't know why I'm so happy, maybe I like to see the big evil empire of baseball get a pie in its face.