1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[MUSIC]Nominees for Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Include Madonna AND Leonard Cohen!!

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Manny Ramirez, Sep 28, 2007.

1. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

A pretty eclectic group of nominees...

NEW YORK - Here's something Madonna can really celebrate: a nomination to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

Madge joins heartland rocker John Mellencamp, the puckish rappers Beastie Boys and premier dance acts Donna Summer and Chic among the nine nominees for the hall. The five leading vote-getters will be inducted in the annual ceremony March 10, 2008, at New York's Waldorf Astoria Hotel.

The other nominees are rap pioneer Afrika Bambaataa, literate songwriter Leonard Cohen, the original British Invasion combo The Dave Clark Five and surf rock instrumentalists The Ventures.

The nominations illustrate how far the Hall of Fame has stretched its definition of rock 'n' roll to incorporate a variety of musical styles.

It's certainly the case with Madonna, the Detroit-area native who burst out of New York dance clubs in the early 1980s with "Holiday" and soon became a pop culture icon. She scored 17 Top 10 hits in the 1980s alone and is due to put out an album next year, working with the likes of Timbaland and Justin Timberlake.

The Beastie Boys molded punk rock and rap into the goofy hit "(You Gotta) Fight For Your Right to Party." They became critical favorites and are still together, releasing an instrumental album this year.

Indiana's own Mellencamp can fill a barrel with rock hits like "Hurts So Good," "Pink Houses" and "R.O.C.K. in the USA." Like Chic and the Dave Clark Five, he's been nominated before without getting into the hall.

Some 500 musicians, industry professionals and journalists vote on the inductions.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070928/ap_on_en_mu/music_rock_hall

I have no doubt in my mind that Madonna gets in while Leonard Cohen probably finishes in 9th place (the one guy out of all these people that deserves to be there but that is another story). I still can't believe that Rush and Deep Purple aren't in the hall.

EDIT - it appears that Van Halen finally got in this year.

#1 Manny Ramirez, Sep 28, 2007
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2007
  2. Tb-Cain

Tb-Cain Member

i saw that too. utterly ridiculous. pop, dance, rap acts in the rock hall of fame.....um, ok :confused:

3. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

That reminds me of Madonna's first national tour. The Beastie Boys were tapped as the openers. They played to legions of Madonna wannabes with a giant inflatable penis as their only stage prop. :D

I can't say I've ever heard of the Ventures, but the others are deserving in my book of induction.

EDIT: Except Mellencamp. **** that douche.

4. thadeus

thadeus Contributing Member

The Ventures should absolutely be in there - the style of guitar-playing they popularized spawned all sorts of stuff afterward. It's nice when a band who are influential stylistically (though not so much commercially) is recognized for it.

5. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I'm glad Chic is nominated. They have the rep of being a disco band because of the female vocalists, but that was straight up funk they were playing.

Nile Rogers is one of my favorite guitar players and no one laid down the grooves like the late great Tony Thompson on drums.

6. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

i saw that show at the summit. my friend broke up with his girlfriend so we went with the tickets he bought for the two of them to scam on all the madonnawannabees. the beastie boys rule. anyone who doesn't agree enjoys being anal raped by satan. anywho, i agree with thaddy thaddy two shoes. the ventures deserve it, hippie, with your moniker i would assume a spliff and some ventures would be copasetic.

7. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

The Ventures rule. My old band in LA opened for them at the Palomino in 1991. We were late to the stage because our bass player was getting all 8 of his Ventures LPs autographed. :D

They virtually invented instrumental surf-rock. No Ventures, no Dick Dale, and the soundtrack to Pulp Fiction sounds completely different.

8. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

Ok, I guess I'll have to check out some Ventures. I don't know much about surf rock, although I have heard the more famous Dick Dale tunes. I'm doing my best! I was born in 1981!

9. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Isn't the Rock n Rock Hall of Fame a big joke anyways? I always thought it was just meant to be another tourist attraction for Cleveland.

If you want to talk about awards, pay attention to the Mercury Prize (Britain's top prize each year) or the Polaris Prize (Canada).

10. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Weird Al gets the shaft...again...

11. subtomic

subtomic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

More proof that this is really a "Major Label Music Celebrities Hall of Fame". With the exception of the Beastie Boys and maybe Afrika Bambaataa, none of the artists are really (1) rock and roll and/or (2) hall of fame worthy.

And Madonna - :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: - Madonna is not rock - period. To nominate her and her crappy, trendy-but-utterly-forgettable music (which is mostly written by other people) is a travesty.

As I've said before, they've let too many artists in at a time - there really should only be 2-3 artists per year instead of 5.

BTW, shouldn't Metallica have been eligible this year? They belong in the RRHOF more than anyone on this list. For better or worse, every hard rock and metal band you hear on the radio has been influenced by them. And their first 4 albums are classics or near-classics.

12. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm sure you've heard at least one Ventures song:

<EMBED SRC="http://www.gunsofaugust.net/ventures.mp3" autostart="false">
    Ventures - Walk, Don't Run

13. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

UPDATE - Nominees announced

Madonna and Leonard Cohen among Hall of Fame inductees By Michelle Nichols
    2 hours, 18 minutes ago

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Pop star Madonna, folk rock singer songwriter Leonard Cohen, rock hit John Mellencamp, pop group The Dave Clark Five and instrumental rockers The Ventures will be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2008.

The five inductees, announced on Thursday and chosen by 600 music industry professionals, beat out disco queen Donna Summer, New York-based funk group Chic, rap pioneer Afrika Bambaataa and hip-hop group The Beastie Boys for the honor.

"The five inductees we're very proud of," Joel Peresman, the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Foundation president, said. "It really truly represents the wide spectrum of what rock and roll is all about."

Artists become eligible for the Hall of Fame 25 years after the release of their first single or album and are represented at a permanent exhibition at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame museum in Cleveland, Ohio.

Sixties British band The Dave Clark Five -- Dave Clark, Lenny Davidson, Rick Huxley, Denis Payton and Mike Smith -- and Mellencamp have been nominated previously, but this was the first year Madonna was eligible to be honored.

Madonna, 49, made her debut in 1982 and her first album "Madonna" included hits such as "Holiday," "Borderline" and "Lucky Star" which helped her become one of the best-selling pop artists, with more then 200 million albums sold worldwide.

"(The voters) don't really look at album sales and ticket sales as being the defining category of why someone gets inducted, it's really their influence and their place in history," Peresman said.

The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Foundation describes Canadian Leonard Cohen, also an acclaimed poet and novelist, as "folk rock icon of the singer songwriter movement" who is among the "highest and most influential echelon of songwriters."

The Dave Clark Five topped the British charts in 1965 with "Glad All Over" and were described by the foundation as "an enormous pop phenomenon" before disbanding in 1970. The group has sold more than 50 million albums to date.

The Ventures -- Bob Bogle, Nokie Edwards, Gerry McGee, Mel Taylor, Don Wilson -- from Seattle, hits include "Walk Don't Run" and "Hawaii Five-O" and the foundation credits the band with defining instrumental guitar rock in the 1960s.

The foundation dubbed Mellencamp "a symbol of the hopes, struggles and passions of America's heartland" with several songs like "Hurts So Good," "Pink Houses" and "I Need A Lover" that have "transcended hit status ... and entered the cultural vernacular."

Along with the five performer inductees, producers Kenny Gamble and Leon Huff will be inducted in the non-performer category and the late Little Walter in the so-called "sideman" category for his "pioneering use of the microphone (that) helped establish the modern blues harmonica."

The inductees with honored at a ceremony in New York on March 10.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20071213/music_nm/halloffame_dc;_ylt=AtopnOCxh8eEIgXF4nh_SArq188F

I wonder if Madonna will speak in her pseudo-British accent at the ceremony. :rolleyes:

14. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

They should just name it the music hall of fame and be done with it. I can't wait for Britney Spears's induction in 2020.

15. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Well, do you ever get the feeling that the story's
    too damn real and in the present tense?
    Or that everybody's on the stage, and it seems like
    you're the only person sitting in the audience?

Skating away on the thin ice of the New Day.

16. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

The Mercury Prize always has an interesting and respectable list of nominees. I've been especially fond of it when they gave the award to Roni Size. DRUM & BASS, BABY!

As for the 'Rock & Roll Hall of Fame', I never took it literally. I always thought of it as a music hall of fame w/ a more exciting name.

17. Win

Win Contributing Member

That's a pretty lame list. I don't really like any of those artists.

I can see where an argument for the Ventures can be made. I kinda like the Dave Clark 5 I guess, but 'Hall of Fame'? I don't care for Leonard Cohen (and I've really tried hard to) but appreciate him as lyricist.

Mellencamp and Madonna are jokes; ah screw it. A Rock n Roll Hall of Fame is pretty stupid, anyway.

18. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

I couldn't agree more. Rock and Roll my ass and hole. :D

19. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

What does the "roll" in rock and roll mean? I never figured it out.

20. 111chase111

111chase111 Contributing Member

Rock and Roll is a euphemism for sex. The term "rock" is simply short for rock and roll... (hoping that this was a sincere question....)