1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[pbl] NBA Legend Kenny Smith Named PBL Commissioner

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, Dec 11, 2007.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Finally some good news. Congrats Kenny! baby steps, next stop, David Stern's office!

http://www.pblproball.com/press/league/20071206-KennySmithNamed.htm

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
    DECEMBER 06, 2007
    NBA LEGEND KENNY SMITH NAMED PBL COMMISSIONER
    Two-Time NBA Champion To Oversee Basketball’s Fan-First Digital Revolution

(ROCKVILLE, MD). NBA legend and TNT basketball analyst Kenny “The Jet” Smith has joined the Premier Basketball League as its commissioner, bringing a wealth of basketball and multi-media experience to the cutting-edge new league.

“We are very proud that an executive of Kenny Smith’s caliber has seen the dynamic potential of the Premier Basketball League and has agreed to help us execute our vision of a fan-first digital basketball revolution,” said PBL CEO and President Tom Doyle.

As commissioner, Smith will oversee many key PBL initiatives, including the launch of the PBL internet tv channel and a multi-player virtual video game. Additionally, he will drive the league’s “Fans Come First” mission, requiring that all players participate in fan meet-and-greets after each game to sign autographs and pose for pictures and ensuring that ticket and concession prices remain fan-friendly.

The Premier Basketball League is a ten-team independent league focusing on fan experience, high-quality organizations and community involvement. Player compensation is tied to wins and losses, encouraging a team-first mentality over individual accomplishments. The league is headquartered in Rockville, MD and Chicago, Illinois and includes teams from Montgomery County, MD, Rochester, N.Y., Reading, Pa., Wilmington, N.C., Jacksonville, Chicago, Dallas, Little Rock, Quad Cities, Ill., and Rockford, Ill. The PBL season begins on Jan. 4, 2008.

Smith, a Queens, NY native, had an illustrious 10 year career in the NBA, winning two NBA Championships with the Houston Rockets. He is the Rockets all-time three-point field goal percentage leader and the career assist record-holder at the University of North Carolina. He is currently a studio analyst for TNT’s NBA coverage and provides analysis for the New York Knicks on MSG Network. He also hosts a Sirius Satellite Radio show, is a Yahoo! NBA analyst and appears in several NBA-themed video games.

For more information about the Premier Basketball League, visit www.pblproball.com or contact Vice President of League Operations, Mark Schlossenberg at (301) 424-8612.

Premier Basketball League (PBL)
    Welcome To Your Future
    The PBL will be the first exclusive, international basketball league purely designed for the ultimate fan experience around today's modern world. Comprised of well-funded partners and teams from proven top-caliber organizations, the PBL has the combined horsepower to attract and sustain only the best performing talent to deliver unsurpassed excitement for ultimate fan value.

On the court. In the crowd. Anywhere on earth. New rules. New game.

We promise this is something you've never quite seen or experienced before.
    FAQ's
    Q. When is the PBL's first season?
    A: The PBL will begin play in 2007-2008 in 10 United States markets. The league projects growth in the US, Canada and overseas for the year 2008 and beyond with innovative initiatives to bring both the PBL teams to overseas markets, as well as European and Asian teams to America to participate in PBL league play.
    Q. What teams will be in the PBL?
    A: There is high demand to be in the PBL but only proven, high-quality organizations from sustainable markets will be allowed in the league for quality experience and control. Please revisit this site for official team announcements.

2. tim562

tim562 Contributing Member

Good news, good job kenny

3. wreck

wreck Contributing Member

4. shipwreck

shipwreck Member

does this mean he won't be fulfilling his other day-jobs like tnt or msg? he's great when the knicks are losing.

5. superden

superden Contributing Member

Wow, what a crappy league.

6. CompaqC

CompaqC Member

Kenny Smit an "NBA LEGEND"?!?!? LOL! :rolleyes:

7. tinman

Supporting Member

he's also producing a tv show:
    http://www.thesportsinterview.com/kennysmith.htm

Can you tell me anything about the show you are working on with TBS?

“Sure. It’s a show that we are developing. It is myself, Jamie Foxx, our writers Lamont Ferrell, and Jamie Foxx’s team consists of Marcus King. We have been doing an interesting show about an NBA player that has to live at home. That’s the basis of it. It’s a sitcom obviously. A guy living at home with his family, a young guy who just makes the NBA.”

The haters can't call Kenny lazy. He's arguably the most successful of the Clutch City Rockets after his NBA days. I know Dream has a good real estate business, but Kenny is everywhere!

8. RiceDaddy07

RiceDaddy07 Rookie

" NBA Legend "? Please. I like Kenny and all, but he ain't no legend. Larry Bird was a legend. Larry Legend. Not Kenny Legend, 'kay?

9. packet

packet Member

NBA Legend ... The Dream
    NBA Legend Wannabe ... Kenny the JETLESS Smith

10. tinman

Supporting Member

you guys are just jealous that Kenny is achieving so much success. 10 years down the road, he'll be the GM of an NBA team, 20 years down the road he'll own an NBA team.

Leadership like that has to be in your blood as a PG. Sam says he wants to coach after he's done playing.

And yes KENNY IS A LEGEND.

ALL THE CLUTCH CITY CHAMPIONS ARE. If you don't believe in them, then you really don't need to be a Rockets fan.

11. pasox2

pasox2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Where are teh pics from Sina.com ? We want to see "The Jet" shaking hands with short people! :mad:

12. tinman

Supporting Member

here's Kenny in China with fellow NBA legends:
    Clyde Drexler, Mel Davis, Bill Russell, Commissioner David Stern and Bob Lanier
    [​IMG]

13. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

So is Pete Chillcutt a legend? You've got some pretty open interpretations of the word legend. Do I fit the bill?

14. tinman

Supporting Member

I know you guys think i'm so awesome and one of the superstar posters here, but I didn't write that article. they labeled OUR KENNY a Legend! :)

The legend of Pete Chillcutt!

The story goes that in the year 95, the leader Rudy T had traded away a proud warrior named Otis Thorpe to bring us Clyde Drexler to help create a more dynamic offense. However, in the departure of one of bravest warriors, a void had to be filled my a committee because no one can replace Otis Thorpe.
    While not as strong as Otis, Pete brought marksmanship and heart to that team.
    Also in the playoffs, Carl Herrera was out that post season and Pete helped contribute to another championship in the era of heroes.

There you go.

Paper: HOUSTON CHRONICLE
    Date: TUE 05/02/1995
    Section: Sports
    Page: 2
    Edition: 2 STAR

LOOKING FOR A POWER SOURCE/Rockets' Chilcutt makes most of opportunity

By JODY GOLDSTEIN
    Staff

When the Rockets traded Otis Thorpe to Portland on Feb. 14, Pete Chilcutt took it as a sign they were gaining confidence in him.

He knew he wasn't expected to replace Thorpe, but he thought he and Chucky Brown could help Carl Herrera fill the void at power forward.

"I felt like when Otis was gone, it was obvious that they thought they had the pieces in place without him," Chilcutt said. "It made me feel like they had confidence in me, but I also knew I had to go out and prove myself. You can't just assume they like you."

He's had plenty of chances to prove himself. With injuries to Hakeem Olajuwon and Herrera this season, Chilcutt, 6-11, has started 19 games, including both playoff games. And even with Herrera back in the lineup for Game 3, Chilcutt is expected to get the start against the Jazz.

"He has skills that have to do with some of the plays we run," Rockets coach Rudy Tomjanovich said. "He can do certain things and they have to respect that. Plus, he's been playing well."

With Thorpe gone, disbelievers gave the Rockets little to no chance of stopping Utah's Karl Malone. With Herrera out with a separated right shoulder, much of that duty has fallen on Chilcutt.

"It wasn't a very envious situation having to go against one of the best power forwards in the league," Chilcutt said. "But it wasn't all on me. We double-teamed him every time. We threw a lot of bodies against him. And you just have to remember that he's going to get points. I figured if I could keep him in the 25s or 20 range, I'd have done a good job. I just didn't want him to get 30 or 40 points."

He didn't.

In Game 1, Malone scored 25 points, a statistic that is misleading because nine of those points coming from the free-throw line. Malone missed his first four shots and was only 4-for-10 for nine points at halftime.

In Game 2, Malone scored 28 points, eight of those from the line.

"Every time, someone throws a pick against me and I have to push him away," Chilcutt said. "I just keep telling myself that I'm not doing it by myself. Hakeem is there behind me."

Said Tomjanovich: "He did a great job. There's no way one man can stop Malone. I don't know anyone in the league who can."

With Thorpe in the lineup this season, Malone averaged 25.5 points against the Rockets. After the trade, he averaged 32.6 points against Houston in three regular-season meetings, including a 45-point performance April 19 in Utah.

"Pete played real well against Karl in the first game and Chucky helped him with the minutes that he played also," said Herrera, who stayed in Houston and watched the games on television. "It's hard to play against Karl Malone. He's so big and so agile that he wears you down. I think Pete did pretty well in both games against him."

Chilcutt brings different skills to the position than Herrera. Herrera is more of a presence inside; the 235-pound Chilcutt likes to play the 3-point line. He was 3-for-5 from 3-point range Saturday, and 1-for-2 in Game 1. He had a combined 21 points in the two games.

"He and Sam (Cassell) have developed some nice chemistry with the pick-and-roll," Tomjanovich said. "He seems to be getting that chemistry with Kenny (Smith). He gives us a different look. He can drive the outside shot."

And though Herrera likely won't play more than 10 to 15 minutes, having both on the bench gives the Rockets options.

"Carl brings more of an Otis Thorpe kind of presence," Chilcutt said. "He's a bigger body. He can bang. He's a better low-post defender. He uses his strength. I rely on my points coming from the outside. I feed off everyone else's double-team."

15. Precision340

Precision340 Member

Chilly Pete!!

16. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

I've always like Kenny Smith, but NBA legend? No.

17. ThePrivate

ThePrivate Member

Kenny Smith? Who is he? Did he play for the Rockets or the Comets? :D

18. lalala902102001

Kenny has done well in his post-NBA career, but he ain't no legend.

19. tinman

Supporting Member

Private,
    I like your segment on youtube.
    <object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/9Jg52dUOv3s&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9Jg52dUOv3s&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

20. jasona88

jasona88 Member

Wait is that really Pete Chilcutt? why did he misspell his own name? "Pete Chillcutt"