1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yao in the 4th

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Htown57, Nov 29, 2007.

1. Htown57

Htown57 Member

While there's been a lot of talk here about the Franchise (and rightfully so) there was another positive development last night--Yao's play in the fourth quarter.

A lot of posters have complained, myself among them, about Yao's tentative play in the fourth quarter this season. He's been waiting around once he catches the ball, allowing the defense to key in on him and regain balance, and kicking the ball out at the sight of any double team. Given that he's a deadly scoring option down low, he should have been attacking immeadiately and challenging double teams.

Tonight he did exactly what he should. On at least 5 possesions in the 4th quarter (that occur to me off the top of my head) Yao either attacked immeadiately (jump hook and turnaround from the right block, both in the last three minutes, and baseline spin for the jam) or went at a double team (split one for a fallaway in the lane, attacked one and was fouled by a collapsing marion, drew a QUADRUPLE team and kicked it out to shane for a 3). He did this all despite being the Rocket's leader in minutes at 40.

If Yao can play like that consistently, at every moment in the game, our team would benefit immensely. Whenever Yao catches the ball in the low post and just stands there, or when he kicks it out despite having great position (like he had on Dirk in Dallas a week ago) Rockets fans everywhere cry a little bit inside. When he does that, he gives the defense time to adjust, time to switch their focus solely on him. Attacking immeadiately means EITHER he has a one on one down low, a situation where he is hugely effective, or the double comes a little late, and he has a good chance of scoring or getting fouled because the 2nd defender is out of position.

Obviously, this is only one game, but hopefully Yao can build on this success. This is what we should expect from a dominant big man like Yao.

I know this has been discussed elsewhere, but I felt it deserved its own thread given the wealth of threads that appear when Yao is too passive in the 4th quarter. Lock it up if need be.

Htown

2. Blue Beluga

Blue Beluga Member

He does it about one in every five games. He sure talks like he knows that he needs to do that, but seldom do :rolleyes:

3. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Yao has played this way all season. Yes there were some games he should have done it more. But all this BS about Yao being soft in the 4th is just a myth created by delusional posters on this board. Yao attacks when givien the opportunity.

More of the problem has been him getting position down low and not getting the ball. Rafer and Tmac have been jacking up shots in lieu of passing to an open Yao. I don't know how many times I have screamed "Get Yao the ball" when he has worked hard to get open and no one is making an effort to get him the ball. Granted it is not easy to always get him the ball but part of the reason Yao looked better last night is because Stevie gets him the ball better than anyone. It takes an effort to get him the ball and you can't just think well it's not easy let me shoot it myself.

The offense runs better when Yao touches the ball. ANd part of that means passing it out when he is double teamed and the other players knocking down some of those wide open shots. But also part of it means reposting Yao as soon as you get the ball. Many times Yao passes out and then gets better position and no one passes it back to him. I scream about that too! A simple repost would give Yao more and better opportunities. I will say they are reposting more than ever before but it is still not enough. There is always room for improvement but Yao is effective in the 4th and has been for a while and the rest of the team needs to make sure that he gets touches at the end of games instead of dribbling down and jacking up jumpers. Thats been the biggest problem in closing out teams. NOt yao's efforts.

4. fa7999

fa7999 Member

He played brilliantly against the Suns (last night), Dallas (in the home loss), and Spurs (the win at home). He was clutch in the 4th quarter in all these games and he rarely hesitated to attack when he got the ball. When he thinks too much, he usually has a bad or mediocre game.

5. EssTooKayTD

EssTooKayTD Contributing Member

Just to be honest, towards the end, Yao shot quickly b/c the shot clock was running down.

But I am like you guys, I often tell Yao, "Make your move now!"

I think he waits to see how the defense is going to play him before making a move. Take what the D gives you, if you will. Also, I think he's trying to see if someone is coming around for a steal.

-T

6. doublehh03

doublehh03 Member

this is what yao has to do at all times if the double doesn't come right away. make a quick move. we don't want him to pass unless the double is RIGHT AWAY. but i think he did it on a few possessions b/c the shot clock was winding down in that game. but again, DON'T HESITATE, just shoot.

it's all yao's decision. if he wants to pass, he'll pass. everybody wants him to shoot if it's single coverage.

7. BigRox11

BigRox11 Member

For a big man playing tough low post position, he is playing too many minutes. I am sure he will be more aggresive down the stretch if he is playing less minutes and have more time to rest. The rest of the team needs to step up to not let him playing the longest minutes in the whole team.

8. lost_elephant

lost_elephant Contributing Member

I was going to post something similar. Great post.

9. Htown57

Htown57 Member

Old Man Rock--I agree with you on the getting Yao the ball point..sometimes Yao will flash to the middle, way deep, and our passers just miss him. Very frustrating, given that deep in the middle of the lane, he's basically automatic.

However, I think you misinterpreted my post a little bit...I NEVER claimed Yao was soft, or had a losing attitude, or was a "p***y" as some have argued. Yao has been agressive.

My point is a tactical one. It's not that Yao doesn't attack, It's just that he doesn't attack immeadiately. When he stands with the ball after making the catch, defenses key in on him, the guy who's double teaming has time to think, his defender can adjust position, etc. This stagnation in the offense is problematic. What I liked last night is that he caught the ball and attacked quickly. When he waits, even if he is agressive, he gives the defense room to breath

Obviously, he attacks immeadiately sometimes, and I' don't think we really disagree. It's not a black and white situation My point with this post was to commend Yao's play, not from a heart and attitude perspective (i would never question Yao's heart) but from a tactical one.

Oh, and T-mac agrees:

10. tutu_boston

tutu_boston Member

He was shooting the ball pretty well last night. In the 4th either he felt more confident or coach asked him to shoot more instead of pass the ball.

11. James23

James23 Member

Throughout his NBA career, Yao has been very inconsistent. He plays well in one or two games; then he will play poorly in the next two or three. Even though he might still get his numbers, his play is way off if you watch the game.

This season, I most like Yao when he played against Tim Duncan at San Antonio. Even though he shot 2-12 in the 1st three quarters, he didn't let that bothered him. Came in the 4th quarter, he attacked Tim Duncan immediately when he touched the ball and scored consecutive baskets. That's the aggressiveness and leadership that the team needs.

The 4th quarter is for superstars to shine. Yao, a potential superstar, should try to score first and pass second. Is he the one with the highest shooting % on the team and best scoring option?

12. m0lson

m0lson Member

Yao has been clutch down the stretch in several games this year. Against 1st game against the Lakers, both games vs SA and now this game vs the Suns. The suns game is how he needs to play. Don't always pass out of the double team, mix it up with jump hooks,fade aways and attack the basket. Don't worry about TO's. It will always be a problem in Yaos game, he is still a bit clumsy given that he is 7'5. Yao has all the tools to dominate a game like he did last night(probably why we get so frustrated with him), now he just has to put it all together.

13. James23

James23 Member

What's an ugly game tonight against the Warriors! If the Rockets plays like tonight, they might as week not showing up. It's embarrassing.

Why did Adelman take Yao out in the 4th quarter? The Rockets doesn't have a game tomorrow, so he doesn't the rest. It doesn't hurt to play him and try to force the ball to him because the game is pretty much over. So what if they lose by 30 points. Yao, hopefully, would learn something by playing and watching the game tape tomorrow.

ADELMAN: IF YOU WANT TO PUT YAO AT THE HIGH POST AND BE A PASSER, AT LEAST TEACH HIM HOW TO PROTECT THE BALL.

Right now, he stands straight up like a tree without branches. Defenders are hugging him and too frequently are able to poke the basketball away from him. Does Yao know that he can move one of his foot and open up his elbows to prevent from knocking his ball? Fundamental basketball 101

14. James23

James23 Member

Does Yao know he can put the ball on the floor too even though he's far away from the basket?

15. ferrarif1286

ferrarif1286 Member

I think a bigger problem for Yao is on the defensive end when they put smaller guys on him. boozer, harrington, and even mav's bass can take advantage of him by just shoot over him or drive pass him.

16. James23

James23 Member

No worries.

Only a few PFs can shoot a high percentage from that far out. If Yao can punish them on the offensive end, that will affect their shot.

Regarding to Boozer, Yao has to run out at him occasionally just to let him know that "your shot will be contested".

17. Seven

Seven Contributing Member

Sometimes I wish Yao was 7 feet tall, cause he's so damn clutch. If you noticed the past two seasons, when he gets the ball in the 4th he's money. But T-mac seems to think the team lives and dies with him in the 4th, so Yao never gets the ball.

18. Seven

Seven Contributing Member

How about you post this complaint in the game thread, because Yao in the high post has nothing to do with this thread. I understand you're frustrated but don't turn this into a "I'm frustrated that the rockets lost so I'm gonna find everything Yao does wrong in one game" thread.

19. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

What a hipocreat. you blast him for blasting yao yet you attack tracy who by the way has been our best player all year. have a look at ure self in the mirror little boy before u blast others. yes, this team dies or lives by mac. he is our best player and has won many, many more games then yao has. remember the jazz, bobcat, nuggets and clippers games(19 points in the last quarter).