1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who will be the next UH football coach?

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Plowman, Nov 28, 2007.

1. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Now that Art is headed to Baylor,it's time to start thinking about our next coach.
    Personally I think Maggard already has someone in mind,with a deal quite possibly already in place.
    With the Oval Office and Maggard on the same page,I see them paying a big name or bringing in a young stud that is well known.Either way it should be someone that continues the recruiting trend in a big way.
    Seeing as Art was making almost a million a year and a move to a bigger conference most likely in the cards it wouldn't shock me a bit to see a BIG surprise to many here.

What do you all think is coming?..or should I say who?

#1 Plowman, Nov 28, 2007
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2007
  2. surrender

surrender Member

H.R. Pufnstuf

3. rhester

rhester Contributing Member

Anna-Megan Raley (UH grad)
    w/ Chance McLain on staff :D

4. danny317

danny317 Member

please hire greg davis!!!

take him, we'll pay you!!!

5. Major Malcontent

Major Malcontent Contributing Member

First of all...

I love Art Briles

But I have no problem wishing him a whole lot of 3-9, 2-10 and 1-11 seasons.

Hey, long as the check clears right Art?

As for the Cougars.

I dunno what to do...rent a name who will be gone soon as we start to get good.

I really thought as a Cougar Alum Art would be here for the long haul.

This is a bit of cold water to the face.

PS. If you treat defense as an afterthought in the Big 12 like you did here...someone is gonna put three digits on you.

#5 Major Malcontent, Nov 28, 2007
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2007
  6. Yaozer

Yaozer Member

I heard Dom Capers is free..

7. Major Malcontent

Name Bill Yeoman Coach For Life...Give him Dictatorial type powers..line the drawer in his office with cash....

Listen to "Those kids played hard" every week and we beat Oklahoma and LSU by 30.

Go COOGS!

8. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

Considering that this is his profession, he'd be an idiot to not consider taking a job to double his salary.

9. Major Malcontent

Sure but if Baylor is outmanned and outgunned...thats part of the deal too.

10. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

Yeah, it's getting tough to raise a family of grown children at $1 million a year.

11. Refman

No it isn't. That's silly. When he took the UH job, the Coogs were outmanner and outgunner by everybody. This is an opportunity to take his career to the next level, and buy some financial stability.

No...it isn't. However...you have to understand that coaches don't generally coach forever (except Paterno and Bobby Knight). This is a grab the cash while you can kind of deal.

Not to mention that if he even breaks even at Baylor and wins a big ball game or two, he can likely go to a bigger name program later. This is about career advancement.

12. K mf G

K mf G Contributing Member

is applewhite out of the picture?

13. Major Malcontent

14. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

I know. ;) I fully understand his desire for a little (very little) more prestige. However, I thought (and still think) that $1 mil is fair value for Briles. He was the perfect man for the job at UH but I feel he's peaked, at least in Houston. The man is completely one-dimensional. I never suffered much under the illusion that he loved the University of Houston. I think he even has the Tech logo tattooed on his arm. As for him winning a couple of big games against Big 12 opponents, hey, there's a first time for everything. Baylor fans can start circling that date against Oklahoma State. Briles blew every chance he got against name opponents in Houston, and it wasn't because his talent was overmatched.

As for who will replace him, I expect another no-name coach that Maggard has had his eye on. I don't expect a retread, some mediocre coach looking to earn his way back to the big leagues. Obviously UH is nothing but a reputation builder until they get in a money league, but I expect Maggard wants someone looking to establish a name rather than simply polish a tarnished rep. It takes longer, you see. :D

15. tbplayer22

tbplayer22 Member

They should hire Major Applewhite. That way he can get some head coaching experience before he takes over for Mack Brown. LOL.

16. Refman

He was the running backs coach at Tech when he took the UH job. The next logical step was to either a coordinator at a big school or the head coach of a second tier conference school. It was a fit and a logical progression. It is not like UH went up to Stephenville High and gave him the reigns with no college experience whatsoever.

17. gunn

gunn Contributing Member

What about Larry Coker?

18. Rulow00

Rulow00 Member

How about Clyde?

19. bottlerocket

bottlerocket Member

Clarence Shelmon - Offensive Coordinator
    17th NFL Season, 6th with Chargers

Bio

20. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Major Applewhite would be huge. It would make Cougar fans forget about Briles and continue the program's momentum both in success and money. Maggard needs to take a look at the Rice debacle (Bailiff). Fans are still bitter and jealous of Graham. Rumor is Major turned down the Rice job.