1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans Mike Sherman Will Be A & M Coach

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by ryan17wagner, Nov 26, 2007.

1. ryan17wagner

ryan17wagner Member

Press Conference tomorrow at 11 am in College Station. You heard it here first. This is breaking news.

2. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Actually read it in the Hangout first.

Link posted an hour ago: http://www.ksat.com/sports/14690066/detail.html

3. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

I don't think this is good news either. He has no real track record for recruiting, and had a terrible record when he was fired by the Packers.

This is great news if you are a Longhorn fan. It looks like we may have beaten you for the last time for a while.

4. ryan17wagner

ryan17wagner Member

Texas A & M has scheduled an 11 a.m. press conference today to announce that Houston Texans offensive coordinator Mike Sherman will be the next head coach. Sherman is returning to A & M where he was the offensive line coach from 1989-1993 and 1995-96.

Sherman replaces Dennis Franchione who resigned after a 38-30 A & M upset win over rival Texas Longhorns. This is Mike Sherman's first college head coaching job, but he was head coach of the Green Bay Packers from 2000-05 where he lead the Packers to three straight NFC North division titles (2002-04) with a winning percentage of .663 (53-27); second best in team history only to Vince Lombardi.

http://houstonist.com/2007/11/26/breaking_news_m.php

5. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

I'd rather wait and see. Before that last season in Green Bay, when lots of his starters were hurt, he had an extremely good record and he'd coached the team deep into the playoffs multiple years in a row.

It is troubling that he seems to be the only guy they really looked into though.

6. Jebus

Jebus Contributing Member

As a UT fan/alum, my first reaction was that they seemed to have "settled" rather quickly. The hiring seems like it was maybe a little rushed. I bet they felt they had to act in order to get someone decent.

I mean, with multiple positions available that could be seen as more attractive (Nebraska, Michigan (or LSU), now Arkansas)- there could certainly be an argument for getting it overwith quickly.

Not sure why there was all this talk of how they were wanting to get someone from the "aggie family" (i.e. Sherman, Tuberville)... It's not like we're talking about the Dean Smith family tree at North Carolina here (and even there, it seemed a bit much to me). It's Texas A&M, people. Were your past successes really that great and awesome that you felt the need to go back to the well and bring back remnants of them?

And I always thought Aggie fans were delusional with talk of Jeff Tedford, Rich Rodriguez (he just turned down Alabama last year, guys), etc. It could also be argued that Tuberville would have been making a lateral move at best to go to A&M (not to mention his insane buyout - is it 6 million?). Pelini might have been realistic, but it seems like he will be going to Nebraska. The Spurrier rumor could have been interesting, but maybe A&M folks felt he was too "slick", and wanted more of a straight arrow type guy after Fran. Or maybe he turned them down.

Sherman did well at Green Bay, the last (injury-plagued) year aside. I thought they were a little quick with the hook there. If he or his staff can recruit, he could do fine. It is concerning that the Texans o-line still sucks so bad, but you can only do so much with the players they have, I guess.

I want to laugh and make fun of A&M about it, but I really think he has a chance to be an improvement over Fran. Maybe they'll get to .500 in Big 12 play under him?

7. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

A&M was 4-4 this year in Big XII play. I wasn't a math major in college, but that's pretty darn close to .500. ;)

Other than that, I agree with a lot of what you said. The way I see it, I thought Fran was a great hire, and I see how that turned out.

I have to trust Bill Byrne. I mean look what he's done for the university in Mens Basketball, Womens Basketball, Baseball, Womens Soccer, and Tennis. His track record up to this point is pretty pristine.

8. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Since this is in the Texans forum...I'll shift the topic to "who will replace him" as OC for this team?

9. solid

solid Contributing Member

What is more troubling is that Franchione is becoming the Texan's offensive coordinator, but it won't really matter.

10. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Don't even joke around like that.

11. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

Should've hired Jack Pardee, one of the Junction Boys. It could've been Par-dee time at Kyle Field with the Run and Shoot!

12. the futants

the futants Contributing Member

Seriously, though...who's going to be the Texans' offensive coordinator?

13. Refman

No thanks...pardon the pun, but I'll pass on that. :D

14. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

Nice. If you're going to go with a legacy, might as well be Jack. Hell, he was coached by greats like George Allen and Bear Bryant, and had great success in college taking a terrible UH program as high as #3 in the rankings.

15. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

Kyle Shanahan? He's been fast tracked the last couple of years.

16. Refman

The problem is that Jack has been out of the game for quite a while now. I'm not sure he can still recruit. Plus, from what I have been told, his health will not withstand the rigors of coaching anymore.

17. hatemavs4life

hatemavs4life Member

Probably Kyle Shanahan gets the promotion to the OC.

18. hatemavs4life

hatemavs4life Member

Personally I think this is a smart move by A&M. They needed someone with ties and name recognition. Someone who could start wooing back blue chippers to Aggieland. He has good credentials so the boosters are happy and soon perhaps the Ags can bridge the gap between Texas and Oklahoma. A&M has been fart fodder for the Horns and the Sooners something had to be done and Fran wasn't getting it done! Lastly, a natural pipeline of talent for Kuby to pick from courtesy of Coach Sherman. :D

19. bingsha10

bingsha10 Member

Sherman is very strict and does excellent pre-game preparation. A very detailed oriented head coach. He does, however, suck at making adjustments in the middle of games.

20. auddj

auddj Member

I heard from a very reliable source (Nick, the guy who told me, has a second cousin who's ex-wife's new husband's son-in-law is a janitor in the University Co-Op’s Book Store) who assures me that this is more than a rumor. Dennis Franchione wasn’t fired and he really voluntarily resigned to take another coaching position.

Coach Fran was approached by the U.S. Olympic committee last week to become the head coach for the bobsled team.

After an interview with Olympic officials, they were unbelievably impressed with the manner in which Franchione was able to get a team to go downhill faster than any coach in modern history.