1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

WOW! Abdul-Jabbar arrested on pot charges

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Francis3, Jul 19, 2000.

1. Francis3

Francis3 Member

Abdul-Jabbar arrested on pot charges

LOS ANGELES (AP) -- Basketball great Kareem Abdul-Jabbar was arrested Tuesday night for investigation of driving under the influence of mar1juana.

The former Los Angeles Lakers and UCLA star was arrested about 7 p.m. after the car he was driving was pulled over at a San Fernando Valley intersection about 30 miles northwest of downtown.

He was booked and released on his own recognizance, said Officer Eduardo Funes, a police spokesman.

"Mr. Abdul-Jabbar was very respectful of the officers who arrested him and very cooperative," Funes said.

Drug-test results are pending, Funes said, adding he didn't know what type of test was administered or what caused police to detain Abdul-Jabbar.

Abdul-Jabbar, who was an assistant coach with the Los Angeles Clippers this past season, is the NBA's career scoring leader with 38,387 points in the regular season and 44,149 total, including the playoffs.

------------------
    "I talked about what degenerates they [Mets fans] were, and they proved me right. Just by saying something, I could make them mad enough to go home and slap their moms."

John Rocker

2. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

Two things piss me off here:
    1. Pot should be legal (of course, you still shouldn't drive stoned).
    2. If I got caught driving high, I'd never be "released on my own recognizance."

------------------
    I need a new signature.

3. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

ummmm.... pot should not be legal. Maybe cocaine, ecstacy, etc, etc, should also be legal?. That is one of the dumbest arguments I have ever heard.

Well anyways, Kareem Abdul "Ja Blunt" is a dumb ass. He is officialy off the top three centers of all time list. No crack smoking idiot deserves to be up there with Hakeem, Wilt, and Russell.

------------------

4. temujinphl

temujinphl Member

Rockets03,

Calling Kareem a crack smoking idiot is like calling Hakeem a Islamic fundamentalist. I believe what Kareem did was wrong (in a legal sense if not morally), but to say he does not belong as one of the top 3 centers of all time is just wrong.

Maybe Charlie Chaplin shouldn't be considered as one of the greatest actor of all time since he married a minor. Maybe MJ shouldn't be considered one of the greatest basketball players because he gambled. Maybe Wilt shouldn't be considered as one of the most dominant offensive force in the NBA because he was a womanizer.

Kareem is human. I'm not trying to make excuses for him, but let's not crucify the man. At least he cooperated with the authorities enough for them to release him.

One thing I believe is that Kareem should apologize. He is looked up to not only by fans but by players as well. I have to say that I am extremely disappointed with what he did. Regardless whether believe cannabis should be legalized or not, this cannot be denied:

Kareem was caught breaking the law.

------------------
    "One who conquers others is strong; One who conquers himself is mighty" - Lao Tzu

[This message has been edited by temujinphl (edited July 19, 2000).]

5. ScreamingRocketJet

Who cares...the press should leave him alone, it's his own business.

I live in Sydney and we get NOTHING about the NBA on the radio. Tonight I was in the shower and they did the normal sports news and suddenly the news guy said "NBA legend Kareem Abdul-Jabbar..." and I have rushed out of the shower and turned the radio up because I have honestly thought they were about to say "been found dead". When they said "been caught with Pot" I almost fell over laughing.

No joking...I thought he must have died to get that press here.

Let's not start a big political / social debate here...but I have been around a number of people who smoke pot regularly as well as people who drink a lot. I'd take the pot guys any and every time.

Oh yeah...alcohol is legal, so I guess it MUST be okay...

------------------

6. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

7. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

You forgot Ty Cobb, one of the greatest players ever, being taken off that list cause he was a horrible man and extremely racist.

I think pot should be legal though. Everybody says pot is a gateway drug, but it isnt really. They use the argument that nearly 95% or so of really bad drug users (cocaine, heroine, ectasy,etc) started with pot. But that is just a dumb argument. Of course theyre not just going to jump inot cocaine. The better statistic is the one that shows that only about 5% or so of pot users move on to harder drugs. Even then, if you want to argue that pot is still a gateway drug, you would be an idiot to not see that tobacco is also a gateway drug, even more so then pot, becuase most people smoke cigarettes before they smoke pot (Ive already tried to explain how that logic is dumb anyway). Maybe cocaine, heroine, exctasy,etc SHOULD also be legal. Alcohol is legal and that is a horrible drug (health wise) and causes extremely poor judement and decision making skills. Now Im not advocating poeple to go get f*cked up or anything, but at lest when people are really bug heroine or coke addicts, they are usually too messed up to get up and walk, much less get in a car or something and hurt somebody else (read:alcohol).

Kareem Abdul "Ja Bong" is pretty funny though.

------------------
    When I die I want to go peacefully like my grandfather. Not screaming like the passengers in the back seat!

8. Curly

Curly Member

Well yippee, he cooperated with the authorities. Now don't do it again Mr. Jabbar. What a freaking joke.

------------------
    In the end there will be no judges...only witnesses to my greatness.

9. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

He has stated in the past he uses it to treat migraines!?!?! MIGRAINES? Hmm, how therapuetic.

He must have had one hell of a headache when them red and blue lights came on.

------------------
    HOOP-T
    ------------------

10. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

No wonder Kareem agreed to sign with Clippers as an assistant , He was high as a kite!

------------------
    Will Work for Clutch 101 Book

11. JCBlazersGirl33

Some people are being excessively harsh here.There's no reason to redicule a person's name, and taking him off an all time centers list he certainly deserves to be on is going too far. Besides, he says he's using it as medication for chronic migraines.

We are in no position to judge without knowing all the facts first. Besides I doubt any human being is any where near perfect.

[This message has been edited by JCBlazersGirl33 (edited July 19, 2000).]

12. JayZ750

I just ridicule his name because I think it is funny. It is really the opposite of harsh. It is a joke, I am taking it wit a light heart, a comic attitude, a fresh perspecetive. I like the way Kareem Abdul "Ja Bong or Ja Blunt" sounds. If he was caught drinkin and driving you wouldnt see me saying Kareem Abdul "Ja Forty" cause that doesnt sound right, but maybe I would say Kareem Abdul "Ja Beer" cause it sounds a little better.
    You see.

------------------
    When I die I want to go peacefully like my grandfather. Not screaming like the passengers in the back seat!

13. Rocketball

Rocketball Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Evidentally, Kareem may be getting the charges dropped, not because he is a superstar athlete (though I am sure that will help), but because he said he will say where he got the pot...

For some reason, this has really pissed off Sam Mack!!!

14. sir scarvajal

sir scarvajal Member

California voters approved a Proposition that it is OK to use pot under Dr.'s orders (maybe Julius wrote him a prescription [​IMG] ). The Fed's are still fighting it because Clinton and Co don't want to appear soft on drugs, but it is the law.

Comparing pot to crack shows a great deal of ignorance.

I have no problem with people saying pot should be illegal, but those same persons should try to prohibit cigarettes and alcohol, those drugs kill a whole lot more people. My personal feelings are the approaches of Switzerland and may other Western and Northern European countries (mangining drug use as a public health problem, not a moral or legal problem) is the way to go. We still haven't learned from prohibition.

------------------
    "The Rockets were ahead of the Suns by 20 late in game 2 of the series, but when the going got tough, we just Pippened . We would not be done in the series though."

15. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

R0ckets03:
    ummmm.... pot should not be legal. Maybe cocaine, ecstacy, etc, etc, should also be legal?. That is one of the dumbest arguments I have ever heard.

Of course, you are entitled to your own opinion, as am I. But to compare weed to coke is just plain ignorant.

------------------
    I need a new signature.

16. JayZ750

I think they should all be legal but I dont think anyone ares what I think, so they probably dont care what I dont hink either....I think?????

------------------

17. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Allah will not be pleased

------------------
    Home of Rashard Lewis and the Mighty Rams - Alief Elsik

[This message has been edited by Smokey (edited July 20, 2000).]

18. COACH SAMPSON

COACH SAMPSON Member

Kareem must get that high powered hydro sh#$.
    I am a little disapointed with Kareem getting caught. Why didnt he have a small bottle of that cheery air freshner that kills the smell. I dont see anything wrong with kareem sparking mad isms.

------------------

19. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

Well I guess Sam Mack knows which team will happily let him play and supply for them.

------------------
    Stuff BBS, the Rockets and you guys

It's all Clippers these days, come join the bandwagon and visit

http://www.ClippersCity.net