1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Left-wing Christianity

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by aussie rocket, Nov 20, 2007.

1. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

This is definetely who I want to be as a Christian.

For too long Christianity has been reviled as a right wing deal. When in reality Jesus' teachings were fundamentally left wing ideals.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_left

2. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

Jesus was very much apolitical....so I am not sure associating His teachings with fundamentally left, right, or any "wing" would be a good depiction of who He was.

Christianity is a term, in my opinion, that is thrown around loosely these days. I prefer to use the term "Follower of Jesus." But the association of Christianity to politics, in my opinion, just doesn't feel right. Jesus did not even hang out with the politicians or religious figures of his day (other than to rebuke them and try to set them straight), but rather the beggars, the sinners, the sick, the hopeless and the unwanted.

OK, sorry....got off track there for a bit. Didn't mean to go into so much detail.

3. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

the Bible has no left wing or right wing. Those are just man made distinctions.

4. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

agreed entirely.

when the chuch sells out to either side, it make a huge mistake.

5. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

Jesus may not have been a politician but he favored reaching out to the disenfranchised against the status quo. That's not a political statement but is considered "left wing".

Bleeding heart Liberals. You can say Jesus was a bleeding heart liberal.

He would be against abortion but he would also probably want to assist those babies born into dire situations.

Would Jesus support welfare?
    Would Jesus demonize homosexuals?
    Would Jesus support big business and the wealthy over the masses?
    Would Jesus support equal treatment for everyone?

Thos are all liberal ideas.

6. MadMax

Honestly, it's not that simple.

7. hotballa

Thats the beauty of Jesus, something for everyone. Hope to see you in a Church soon RIET, if you're not already in one ;)

8. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

It's not?

What is at the top of the Right Wing agenda?

Abortion (but no mention of helping those born into povberty)
    Gays
    Gun Control

They want to:

Eliminate the estate tax (benefits only the wealthy)
    Anti -Illiegal Immigration (not law abiding people but a true "humanitarian" would support their cause)
    Anti-Environment
    Anti-Welfare

Was the 1965 Civil Rights act considered liberal or conservative?
    Was granting women the right to vote considered liberal or conservative?

9. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

Well put. Add to the list universal health care and separation of church and state.

10. MadMax

I understand entirely what you're saying. And trust me, I'm drawn to it. But there are those who would argue that Jesus never suggested that government ought be about any of those things...but rather that we ought to be about those things as individuals. I know people who are politically conservative who have HUGE hearts for human beings...who are truly trying to follow Christ...and I refuse to say that I know so much about Jesus that I'm right and they're wrong because we disagree politically. It's just not that simple.

11. hotballa

I'll give you y thoughts on it. Keep in mind they don't reflect everyone else's

Would Jesus support welfare?
    hmm I am sure he would support WORKfare. I am not so sure he would support welfare (or at least its current system)

Would Jesus demonize homosexuals?
    no, no Christian should. But he would undoubtedly tell them that what they were doing is wrong, and then gladly share bread with them.

Would Jesus support big business and the wealthy over the masses?
    I think that's really based on one's interpretation of whether they think Jesus is really a hippie or not :D in all seriousness, Jesus does tell us to not worry aobut what the rich are doing because everyone gets judged according to their lot in life. In fact according to him, it's better to be poor than rich because the rich have a much harder time getting into heaven.

Would Jesus support equal treatment for everyone?
    of course he would, but let's be honest here. conservatives and liberals have a hard time treating people equally. Affirmative action can be a liberal agenda, but it doesn't support treating everyone equally does it? It's human nature.

12. rhester

rhester Contributing Member

No need to guess on this, they had all those situations going on in the Roman Empire in Judea. Jesus was not a liberal and He was not a conservative, He was a Savior.

He didn't bother to fix the tax system or expose gay Pharisees. He didn't even propose a universal health care system, He healed the sick.

Didn't come up with funding for leprosy research, He did heal lepers.

Didn't speak about equal rights for women, slaves, or illegal immigrants and they were all much larger problems back then than they ever have been in the history of the US.

He never tried to get the Old Testament read in the Roman Schools and He was silent on school prayer and freedom of religion.

Jesus believed in Heaven and He believed in Hell.

I've read His words over and over on those subjects and I can certainly understand His focus and urgency to ask people to repent of sin, to believe He is the Messiah and to receive forgiveness.

13. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Nice post, regardless of where one stands on this debate. Kudos to you sir.

14. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

He was?

But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen.

15. CBrownFanClub

CBrownFanClub Contributing Member

Does not sound like school to me.

16. rhester

rhester Contributing Member

I stand corrected. And I suppose room could be interpreted classroom, after all many students probably pray before final exams.

17. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

You seem to be oriented to governmental solutions? My church, which is an average run-of-the-mill Methodist church, is very active in helping the dis-enfranchised from newborns to homeless to drug addicts...

18. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

... so they get an excuse, go home and pray, and return with pencils sharpened... ;)

19. Achilleus

Achilleus Member

lol...

20. Beck

Beck Contributing Member

Based on what is written, I can only conclude that Jesus would spend his time healing, feeding, clothing, and teaching instead of writing policy that, once enacted, would provide funding so that others would potentially do these things.

As Christians we are called to personally give to the poor, the sick, and the needy. I think Jesus would concentrate his efforts on doing these things, without campaigning to reach a political office.

Jesus would not want to rule as an earthly ruler, His Kingdom is not of this world.