1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do you think Yao is a true leader?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by LakersPride, Nov 19, 2007.

1. d.wang

d.wang Member

2. shipwreck

shipwreck Member

It doesn't need to be locked just as soon as possible, simply because you don't agree.

3. solid

solid Contributing Member

No, the last "leader" this team had was Bob Sura. Francis does have a leadership persona, you could feel it on the court the other night. However, my candidate for the "junk yard dog" leader of the future, (and this is totally off the wall) is, and this is just a gut level hunch, Aaron Brooks. :eek: Our own AI, Jr. But he needs to be put on growth hormones so Deron Williams won't hurt him.

4. rofflesaurus

rofflesaurus Member

when i think of leaders i think of players who have absolute control over their team. they put their teammates on their back and ALWAYS come up with huge plays when you need them.

KG is the leader of the Celtics. Kobe is the leader of the Lakers. Billups is the leader of the Pistons. Duncan is/was the leader of the Spurs...etc

that said, Yao isnt a leader. he'll never demand for the ball, or tell his teammates to do something, and very rarely will he come up with huge plays when we need them.

T-Mac is our leader, maybe not a good one, but he's this team's leader, and the rockets live and die by him.

5. doublehh03

doublehh03 Member

billups has choked just as much as dirk the last 2 playoff season. simply stunk it up. he's their leader by default.

6. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Will folks please stop using the fronting rules as an excuse for Yao!!! Fronting works on Yao because he has no athleticism at all. This is not his fault and I accept him for what he is, but when comparing him to other centers like Shaq or Hakeem (that didn’t have to go through the legal zone rules) please remember that those dudes were athletic and could go “get” the ball. They could crash the boards. They just had more of a physical impact period. I have seen Yao completely removed from games via fronting, and that would never happen with Shaq or Hakeem. It doesn’t neutralize Duncan either.

I don’t think Yao is a leader at this stage of his career and I’m not counting on him to be one. I am counting on a consistent 20+ and 10 though on a solid fg%…which would make him the best center in the league (again) which meets my expectations. I do feel that Yao is the best center in the league, but that’s kinda like saying I have the prettiest fat girlfriend….

7. solid

solid Contributing Member

Leadership is attitude more than skill level. In sports, it is the "junk yard dog" attitude. Never say die, smash mouth, nasty, head butting, hard nosed, ice water in the veins attitude. Bob Sura. When the team is down by twenty, they are still inflicting pain. TMac may be the "official" leader, but he is no Bob Sura, and we need one.

MJ was the best baskeball player of all time, because he was both the most skilled and the "leader" on the court. I bet you Duncan is not the "junk yard dog" leader for the Spurs. I don't know who is, I would guess Ginobelli.

#47 solid, Nov 19, 2007
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2007
  8. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I remember! I remember!
    What about when were down 0-2 going to Phoenix? and we were down at halftime and Max said "Kick it to me, I can break the defense down"

9. EssTooKayTD

EssTooKayTD Contributing Member

The heck, double post? weak! No wonder it didn't make sense in the other thread.

10. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I deleted the other post, I clicked on the wrong thread.

And I am correct. This thread is concluded.

This leadership stuff is utter garbage.

11. ai_111

ai_111 Rookie

NO... he s not a team leader and he proved that to us that since that T-mac have been inured. T-mac can lead a team but Yao can't do it.

12. LakersPride

LakersPride Member

I always thought Yao was the reason Rockets have been winning but I diffenently think T-Mac brings more Impact and has better leadership.

13. aggie87

aggie87 Member

yao ming a leader...lol...a leader in turnovers thats for sure, but in case no one notices....our team is a lottery team without tmac, yao ming is and will always be a "VERY GOOD" role player....he provides high percentage offense but does little else to help the team win, defensively hes a liability against the talented west but effective against crap teams, I still firmly believe that yao and tmac can have maybe 2nd of 3rd round sucess if the rest of the team pulls it together but replace Yao with any top big man and youll see the rockets being a true threat to the west powerhouses:

tmac + garnett/boozer/d. howard (having a breakout season)/duncan = better team

no one can deny that if Yao was replaced with any of those superstars we will dominate but the problem is that with a country the size of china supporting the rockets Yao is virtually untouchable for a being such a gold mine....

14. rocketsregle

rocketsregle Contributing Member

Everyone has their view on whether they consider Yao a leader. I do not have an issue with your opinion. However I have the following concerns with the rest of your post. Yes you are correct in stating that Duncan isn't neutralized by fronting. But why? It is so frustrating to see posters make statements like that and not actually analyze the reason. Have you watched Duncan against Golden State? They front him. Do you know what the Spurs do? They attack and finish in the paint, specifically Ginobili and Parker. If they stop the penetration, they dish off to Duncan for a dunk. The result? They stop fronting. Who on our roster does that?

Hakeem faced the illegal defenses of the Sonics which would be equivilent to today's zone defense and fronting with backside help. How did Hakeem do?

N.B.A. PLAYOFFS;Sonics Swarm Olajuwon And Make It Look Easy

15. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

I think everyone of his teamates wants Yao to do well more so than any other member of the Rockets. When he does well, his teamates feed off of it and they perform better. When he's not playing well, his teamates want to get him going and boost his morale. It seems that everyone feels for Yao and his performance affects the play of everyone else on the team. It is in a way, similar to Mario Williams, he's not really a "leader", but when he has a big play, everyone gets goin.

As far as Yao being a "C'mon guys!" vocal Leader, not so much. But the team seems to really seems rally around him.

16. LIN

LIN Member

yeah,sometimes.

17. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

18. IC2000

IC2000 Contributing Member

Tmac a leader?

19. BrownBeast99

BrownBeast99 Member

Yao will never be a vocal leader, he may lead by example but he is never going to be the vocal or main leader of a team.

20. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

How did Hakeem do in one game or how did Hakeem do on a consistent basis? Did he not kill Seattle on a consistent basis? Was he completely removed from the game the majority of the time against the Sonics...against anyone?

I see Yao completely removed from the game from this strategy multiple times a season. When Yao isn't scoring, his impact decreases dramatically. What you mention about Duncan teammates is true, but the same goes for what I mentioned (that he is athletic and doesn't need a perfect pass to get the ball...he can "go get it").