1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rafer Alston vs. Mike James vs. Steve Francis

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Nov 16, 2007.

1. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

lets take a look at the starting PGs for all the other western conference playoff contenders:

spurs-parker
    suns-nash
    jazz-williams
    dallas-terry/harris (harris became starter just this year)
    lakers-fisher
    clippers-cassell
    hornets-paul
    denver-iverson
    warriors-davis (i think they'll make a push once jackson is off his suspension)
    grizzlies-stoudamire

clearly granted that we have yao in the middle and not many of the other teams have such a big man and then tracy on the wings, but every other playoff contending team in the west has much superior PG play than what rafer brings. i would love to take a 37 going on 38 year old cassell over rafer any day. sadly rafer is still starting..i think morey was pushing hard to trade him for this reason alone in the offseason: he is the best dribbler and passer so coach RA would probably like him a lot given his system and would be a major rotation player. given adelman set 8-9 man rotation that would leave someone off the bench. I am not saying make james, brooks or SF the starter, but at least give SF some minutes at the point and see how it goes and gradually move rafer out of the rotation. rafer's decision making (like when the rockets finally tied the game against the lakers and spurs and he comes down and jacks a quick 3) this season has not been what it was in the years past. i am not trying to chop rafer down because i think he can help this team, but not playing the major minutes he does...i think he is actually better playing with the bench directing the offense when the stars are not in the there. shane/tmac/yao/hayes are all smart players who can run this offense fine and i do believe SF is a much more willing passer than what people make him out to be.

2. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

No, but Adelman does. More than you. So you might as well just trust his decisions until you see evidence to the contrary.

The Suns play small, so I think there's a pretty decent chance Steve plays today if T-Mac isn't a go.

3. bucket

bucket Member

Maybe I should have quoted the entire post. What the guy I quoted was saying was that there was "no basis" for the assumption that Steve probably just isn't playing well right now. Of course, the only evidence we have (Adelman's decision not to play Steve) suggests that assumption is true.

4. Laoyi

Laoyi Member

I hope you are right and we see Steve tonight. With Rafer and James, it's a difficult game for us.

5. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

I just thought of something, is it possible we are trying to raise Rafer's trade value but it has horribly backfired on us? Even rafer thought he was gone over the offseason.

6. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

<br>
    snyder was out there wed night
    <br>
    check your facts son

7. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

<br>
    and you do????

8. BucMan55

BucMan55 Contributing Member

Yes, he was, and was replacing T-Mac at the 3 and trying to guard Kobe. Last night, there were only 8 players who got in the game. Snyder was not one of them. Thats what I was referring to.

9. Seth

Seth Member

I think something is not being told abour Francis and Adelman and the GM, the guy is not even playing garbage time, seems like RA doesn´t want the fans to see if Francis is in a really bad shape or not.

If he was so sure about Francis shape he can put him in garbage time so we can all check that and stop thinking that he is the solution.

While Adelman doesn´t show us how SF is playing we all have the right to think of him as a good alternative at the point.

10. T-mac&Yao=RING

T-mac&Yao=RING Contributing Member

Rafer coulnd't get the ball to Yao what game was you watching. And if you don't use assist statistic to judge how good a PG is, than what statistic do you use?

11. BucMan55

What garbage time???

I wonder if Francis lovers will count his missed 3s as turnovers too?

12. BucMan55

He could when Duncan was playing on Yao's back. Nobody could get the ball to him when they were fronting him. Yao doesnt have the athleticism to wiggle and move laterally to make that kind of defense pay.

13. T-mac&Yao=RING

Yea that really made me sick everyone played but Steve

14. T-mac&Yao=RING

Anybody could get the ball to Yao when Duncan was playing on his back thats not that hard. You really think Steve can't do that?

15. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Again, I don't see how Francis could possibly be worse than Alston.

16. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Steve is better at the post entry pass than mike or rafer. Just watch the preseason plays again.

17. BucMan55

Steve CAN do that. The question is WILL he??

The only one who knows that is Adelman.

Actually there is a good possibility if Francis has been working hard(no signs since the season started that he hasnt) that he will see time against Dallas on Wednesday. They will have a chance with the 4 days off to tweak some things and it might be where Francis gets his chance.

18. thatpvdude

thatpvdude New Member

You know ya'll are some of the funniest fans. I mean when Rafer is in the turnovers are less when Mike James is in ya'll complain his shot isnt falling. Every player in the league has a slump, but when ours have them its the end of the season for him. Ya'll wined and cried we didnt have a bench we dont have a offensive minded coach we got both off them now. Both of them have to play and get worked in if it were that easy some off yall dead sorry scrubs would be in the league and not on here trying to live out yall dead ass hoop dreams. They're professonals they get paid to do this what they do shut up we're good this year. Yall are also the same fans who probably was on steve cause he dribbled too much in all this **** yall all wishy washy shut the hell up and if ya got something to say I go to PVU and Im on the NW I trill just speaking my mind GET OFF RAFER n MIKE JAMES yall begged for Mike James back well here he is DIG

19. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Okay that was barely understandable :D.

20. Almu

Almu Contributing Member

I know he played a WEEE bit better last night.

But MOST NIGHTS...

If I had a rusty, dull, kitchen knife in my vicinity when Rafer is playing the point, I would try and stab myself in the jugular over and over. Last night, I might of just slit my wrists.

Its THAT painful to watch that guy play.