1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Give Yao The Dang Ball

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by edlove75, Nov 17, 2007.

1. edlove75

edlove75 Member

I watched Yao Ming in the 4th put us on his back and try to win the game, until that idiot Luther Head decides he was gonna take a 3 while Yao had Tim 1 on 1 in the post?? This is an example of what our idiot guards do when T-Mac ain't in the game! This has to change!

2. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Then Watch Yao Give Spurs The Dang Ball

3. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Well, we all know that Luther Head makes poor decisions with the ball down the stretch. I mean, there's probably a 20% chance he turns it over on the entry pass.

But I'm not sure we get a much better shot dropping it to Yao when he's posting up 10 feet away from the basket. He hit two fairly low percentage shots the previous two possessions. We know he can make those shots, on occasion, but they are still low percentage. It's not the type of shot you can count on to go in consistently. And with 7 seconds left, he probably would have been forced to take another low percentage fade-away.

It's the same story every year. When Tracy is out, Yao has a really tough time getting himself easy shots. If he crashed the offensive boards, he might have gotten some. But he kept getting the shot blocked or stripped from him yesterday. I wish there were some type of hand strengthening drills Yao could go through. When he has the ball, it's like you just need to blow on him and the ball squirts loose (I know I'm exaggerating, but that's what it seems like to a frustrated fan).

#3 durvasa, Nov 17, 2007
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2007
  4. edlove75

edlove75 Member

Yea you are right about him being a little far out, but i trust would rather loose or win with the ball in Yao's hands. He needs to feel the pressure of being a leader on this team. T-mac is constantly called out for his faults and since he's out, this is suppossed to be Yao's team. He needs to mature in this current situation. Oh and the hand drills comment..... funny you mentioned that because me and my brother were talking about the same thing :)

5. freemaniam

freemaniam 我是自由人

Luther didn't shoot at a convincing percentage in the ENTIRE game either, or did he so far in the past 10 games? Yao gained some respects from the Refs at the end of the game. The Refs swallowed they whistles when Yao fouled Manu. Whether Yao got the ball or not, there's a chance Yao would be sent to the FT line given the way Spurs fronted him whole night.

I watched enough bogus calls on our team, Yao particularly, and sometime I really believe that the Refs knew they screwed and were prepared to return a favour at the other end. We have to give them the "chance". If Yao made a mistake or turnover then our guards doubted on the next play, we would never get the call back. The "favour" wouldn't last after a couple back-and-forth possessions.

Yao needs our guards to feed him the ball to be productive for the team. Our guards need to realize that Yao is their only saviour when we are down the stretch but TMac was not on the court.

Seriouly, when TMac is out, is Yao our go-to guy anymore?

6. wingz0

wingz0 Member

Makes you wonder, how much of it is attributed to his soft hands. That's how he gets such a soft shooting touch for a man his size. On the flip side, he can't hold on to the ball like Shaq can I guess.

7. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

Yeah, obviously Yao needs more touches.. especially with TMAC out...

8. durvasa

That's an interesting point. Have there been any big men with great hands AND a soft shooting touch?

9. edlove75

edlove75 Member

Exactly, when T-mac is out it's like our guards go trigger happy and forget they have a 7'6 center in the paint waiting to score! They only go to him after we loose a few possesions from their forced shots. I would love for Yao to be more vocal about that.

10. freemaniam

freemaniam 我是自由人

And not that I am not agree with other's comments on Yao's "overly soft" presence in the paint. He needs to improve and I am losing my patience either. I mentioned in the game thread a couple times, Yao must protect his ball and cut down the turnovers.

11. edlove75

edlove75 Member

Coaches and even Hakeem told him to keep the Ball high, but he seems to resort back to bringing the ball down low enough for the guards to strip it away? He never throws any elbows defensive rebounds when in traffic either? He has got to keep these guy's in check :eek:

12. hooroo

hooroo Member

Captains of crush :p

Anyway, whenever Yao catches the ball he often pump fakes towards the floor. I'm guessing he's doing it for balance or for a better grip. If it's the latter maybe he has small/er hands?

13. rockets34

rockets34 Member

hakeem comes to mind immediately.

14. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Does Chris Webber count?

15. durvasa

Webber is a career 64% free throw shooter, including one year where he shot 45%. I don't think he counts.

Maybe Sabonis?

16. rocketman1979

rocketman1979 Contributing Member

Yao is a dummy. When interviewed by reporters Yao said the only thing he learned from Hakeem is the word dominate.

17. shawn786

shawn786 Member

Yao had an off night.

He had 7 turn overs. Thats alot considering he didn't get the ball much like your saying...

18. rocketman1979

rocketman1979 Contributing Member

I would like to see Yao give a big elbow to any defender thats hacking him and getting away with it. Get the man off his cookies. :D

19. rofflesaurus

rofflesaurus Member

Mutumbo, Hakeem

20. Elvislives

Elvislives Member

Mutombo???????? Shooting touch? Isn't that an oxymoron?