1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Look let's be honest....

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Stevie Wonder, Nov 16, 2007.

1. 70tron

70tron Member

Watching the game tonight left me with one big impression...we just aren't a very good entry pass team. So many times tonight we wasted time on the perimieter trying to get the ball in and couldn't. Scola benefitted alot from broken plays and time running out on the shot clock. But we arent going to advance very far if we cant get the ball in (and in good post position) to Yao. We have one of the most effective scorers in the league but cant get him the ball in a good enough place to take advantage of it.Watch when we get Yao the ball on the blocks or at least midway to the freethrow line. He has the strength to get to the bucket and or least get fouled.
    But our guard core just aren't capable (or they haven't shown it yet) to make teams respect their perimieter shooting. So teams just sink in and deny the post the ball, waiting for our guards to either shoot a bad shot or make a bad pass. For being an Adelman team, we dont have the passing precision to make his offense our own.

2. 70tron

70tron Member

Watching the game tonight left me with one big impression...we just aren't a very good entry pass team. So many times tonight we wasted time on the perimieter trying to get the ball in and couldn't. Scola benefitted alot from broken plays and time running out on the shot clock. But we arent going to advance very far if we cant get the ball in (and in good post position) to Yao. We have one of the most effective scorers in the league but cant get him the ball in a good enough place to take advantage of it.Watch when we get Yao the ball on the blocks or at least midway to the freethrow line. He has the strength to get to the bucket and or least get fouled.
    Our guard core just aren't capable (or they haven't shown it yet) to make teams respect their perimieter shooting. So teams just sink in and deny the post the ball, waiting for our guards to either shoot a bad shot or make a bad pass. For being an Adelman team, we dont have the passing precision to make his offense our own.

3. BucMan55

BucMan55 Contributing Member

Our best post entry player wasnt in the game either. When Yao is fronted and there is backside help waiting, its a good idea not to throw it in there. Yao does not have the athletic skills or hands to catch it well on the move like a Stoudamire or Duncan.

4. Nelly

Nelly Contributing Member

All I want for christmas is a point guard with court savvy......and can also hit the open shot.

5. Da Wink

Da Wink Member

I'm also for trading for someone who can shoot, pass and handle the PG position. He must not be a big tier guy but can get the job done...How about a package for Marko Jaric + Gerald Green or Toine Walker? Jannero Pargo? Chris Duhon?

6. abcmemory

abcmemory Member

Nothing wrong with THOSE PEOPLE. They just point out the simple fact that any team with Tracy and Yao would win their fair share of games, but in order to win a championship, you need a better and more talented player at the point. That's fair opinion.

7. abcmemory

abcmemory Member

Rafer did shoot like 40% for this game (1-6 from 3 -piont line). That's a improvement for sure. But can he keep it up? Judging from last 2 seasons' stats, that's a fluke.

8. Da Wink

Da Wink Member

The reason that people here are bashing Rafer is that we all want this team to improve. We want the Rox to be an elite team in the West and not just a borderline one...

9. yobod

yobod Member

I don't disagree with a single thing you said, and neither does Daryl Morey. Why ELSE would he have drafted Aaron Brooks in the first round when there were bigger names still on the table? He understands the direction this league is going in, and he's hoping that he got the future PG of the Rockets in Aaron Brooks.

10. vizier

vizier Member

our starting line up should be
    t-mac pg
    bonzi sg
    battier sf
    scola pf
    yao c

11. hatemavs4life

hatemavs4life Member

It's time for the Rox to give either Brooks or if possible, Francis a chance at PG perhaps starting. I would be OK with Rafer playing 15 min a game off the bench but, I don't want him starting anymore and he definitely is not a facilitator or an effective scorer at games end.

Out of these last 3 games, we should've won 2 and possibly all of them but we did not because Rafer made bad, even stupid decisions with the basketball with the game on the line. Why are you shooting a low percentage teardrop shot when you have a chance to get within 2 when you either should've shot the 3 or gotten the ball to Yao and either have him shoot foul shots or make his shot or perhaps 3 the hard way.

If Rafer has totally lost confidence in his shot, he should have never been out there with the game in the balance.

Like I said, Rafer needs to ride the pine and be used sparingly off the bench and give Brooks a chance to show what he's got if Steve is still hopelessly not ready.

NO MORE RAFER STARTING! I'm sick of seeing his lame ass throw games. :mad:

12. Elvislives

Elvislives Member

This board has come to be dominated by knee jerk reactionaries. Actually has always been that way. What is sad is that some people here consider the like of Pargo and Duhon to be an upgrade on what we have. Pargo hasn't played a day of defense in his life and Duhon's career shooting percentages are lower than Rafer's without the ball handling and heady play. Marko Jaric? Are you kidding me?

I get sick reading some of these posts. It is a good thing we have GM's and coaches that are smarter than the lot of you.

13. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

Two excellent posts.

14. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

And the guard play of Derek Fisher is capable of leading a team to a championship? We should trade James, Francis and Brooks for Derek Fisher right? A champion guard. :cool:

15. GrapeJuices

GrapeJuices Contributing Member

Every year for the last 3 we've always come "close" to beating these great teams. Come playoff times, they get serious and kill us.

For the last three years you guys have been saying the same ****, it's only the beginning of the season. New players have to adjust to the system. One of our superstars is out. The list goes on and on... but the real issue is always overlooked. And that is we need a 3rd scorer out there BADLY.

If somehow scola or bonzi became our 3rd scorer, then i'd say we have a shot at making it to the WCF. But other than that who are we going to depend on? C'mon now neither rafer, head, james, or battier will be that dependable player.

For christ sake we don't even need a pg who can handle the ball, we just need one that can hit open 3's so they stop double teaming Yao.

16. runamok

runamok Member

I think the answer is sitting on the bench, Brooks and Francis, both will prove to be a significant contribution, just let Mr. brick layer and the missing milk carton man (Head) move on in life. A good game once every four games from those will not lead to a championship, I agree.

And how long do we have to observe these 2 is the question.Oh yeah, Let Scola start already! I don't think we've tried enough to change the mix and decide that we don't have enough for a championship, way to early. Last thing I heard was that many teams are changing their linup at this moment.

17. jcmoon

jcmoon Contributing Member

we need a vernon maxwell type player on this team -- lockdown defender who can shoot the three....

what about a ron harper type too?

18. ReD_1

ReD_1 Rookie

I still think we made it good,this team is off to a good start and needs to be relaxed and adapted to new system.
    After the AllStar break this team will be unbeliavable if heatlh serves us well,be sure.

19. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

20. DwangBoy

DwangBoy Member

That means nothing, it comes down to how they look on the floor. This is what will be reflected in the playoffs, not how close we lost without a superstar. stop deceiving yourself.