1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

It's Time: STEVE FRANCIS

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by elvis, Nov 9, 2007.

1. cuneo77

cuneo77 Contributing Member

we were up by 13,14 in the first half,why not try to put him in then,its not like the lead will evaporate cuz he's in. he could have put in in last night with 3,4 minutes left.

2. Pringles

Pringles Member

do you know what the point of a basketball forum is?

3. doublehh03

doublehh03 Member

exactly, we've played a few teams where we would win simply by our talent. use that time to experiment.

i love adelman and he's shown he experimented in games (kept yao in to practice pick and roll defense when he was getting burnt...). so do this w/ francis to see how he has improved.

i don't want him to be like JVG in this sense. francis could be like bonzi of last yr. he could have helped us but we neverk now b/c he never got the chance.

if we don't play him, then try to move him for another PG or DO SOMETHING.

rafer is not a starter in this league and he could end up killing us in the playoffs as team key in on our weakness => and that's rafer.

4. doublehh03

doublehh03 Member

well so that means isiah thomas is a better GM than all of us right? he's a better coach than all of us right? :rolleyes: your logic is not right.

some of us can coach if we dedicate half of our lives to the game of basketball and actually pursue it. starting coach in HS or college and things like that. but coaching is BORING.

5. rofflesaurus

rofflesaurus Member

oh and btw, in game 2 of the orlando vs pistons playoffs, billups went 5 for 8 in the first quarter for 16 points. after that, t-mac guarded him, and he went 1 for 12 the rest of the game. t-mac CAN guard PG's. his length alone makes it impossible for anyone to drive around him or shoot over him, especially pg's since they are so much smaller.

6. Mr Boo

Mr Boo Contributing Member

Agreed....

7. rofflesaurus

rofflesaurus Member

i dont even know what to say to this. i'll just pretend to have not read it. :D

8. doublehh03

doublehh03 Member

but for stretches. he can guard deron, billups... guards that aren't that quick (or power PGs).

but i he had to guard iverson or paul, he'd be killed.

idk, i just want to see us do something at PG. i believe we can win it all this yr. but starting PG is a weakness that might hold us back.

9. apollo

apollo Member

You did hear wrong they said Morey was really mad at Adelman about this and that he told Adelman Francis is supposed to be the starting PG. Adelman should remember Van Gundy lost his job for similar disputes with management over how players brought in were used.

10. apollo

apollo Member

We heard this same stupid argument last year. "The team is 52-30 why change anything the rotation needs to stay just as JVG uses it" blah, blah, blah. In the playoffs the team was completely exposed. You don't just assume winning in the regular season with obvious flaws will still continue in the playoffs. That is unless the team and fans want to be first round losers every year.

11. doublehh03

doublehh03 Member

exactly. i hope adelman is not as stubborn as JVG.

just b/c you're winning does not mean you don't look for ways to improve. and it's not like we're winning in dominating fashion. and regardless, it's the playoffs that count. teams will key in on exposing rafer in the playoffs.

12. Joe Rz

Joe Rz Member

Did we win or lose?

As long as the Rockets are winning there will not be any changes.I don't really want to see the team start losing just to see how player x would look out there.

13. doublehh03

doublehh03 Member

then there's another first round exit :rolleyes:

that's what most ppl on here said when it came to rafer too.

14. Sherlock

Sherlock Contributing Member

We heard TMac say that Francis was "slow." The way everyone spoke of him was that they believed he would eventually help them, but no one seems to disagree with RA's assessment, since Francis didn't learn the system, was out of place, was just plain slow. In moments, Francis looked good. He's just plain out of shape.

He's either gotten too old, has a bad attitude, or is still out of shape from his injuries. I'm assuming the coaching staff is waiting until he gets in shape before putting him back in.

I don't think they want to put him in too early, without embarrassing him. If he comes in and plays like he did in pre-season, his career will be over, and have no trade value either. I think they want to give him his best chance of success. So, hopefully, he's working out, learning the system, and getting better in practice. But, if he isn't, then we're dealing with a Bonzi situation from last year. Every time Bonzi came in, he got injured, since he was so out of shape.

Perhaps they are also trying to build up Alston's trade value, waiting for some team to have an injury, so we can get some value before moving Francis up the ladder. Who knows.

But, I am also amazed at this board, how so many criticize whoever is coaching, no matter how well we do.

We're 5-1, people!

15. Murph23

Murph23 Rookie

It's Time for Stevie "French Fries!"

16. Rocketmike

Rocketmike Member

You don't change just for the sake of change. We're beating quality teams with the rotation we have now... If "Franchise" gets a look it will be because we can't make a trade.. The sad thing is Alston is the best pg on the roster.

Mike

17. apollo

apollo Member

A lot of people had usefull tips for JVG last year and he ignored them. When Les and Moery talked about why he was let go many of the tips from fans here were reasons they gave as to how JVG failed in these areas.

Why do some fans believe the NBA coach is a God when it comes to any and every decision made?

18. doublehh03

doublehh03 Member

i'm not saying we make a full-blown change right now. i'm saying we experiment for short stretches.

i'm not saying we take rafer out and put mike/steve in teh starting spot right now. no way am i advocating that.

i'm just saying maybe in the middle or in games where the final is decided, let steve go in a lil bit and see (like the portland game)

19. Elvislives

Elvislives Member

I think we should play Francis because we like him better. I mean, wasn't he an All-Star once upon a time? Just because he turned the ball over even when he was "good" doesn't mean he will now. Just because his scoring and passing were never efficient doesn't mean they won't be now. I mean, honestly, he couldn't do any worse than Rafer or Mike James. And we like him more. :rolleyes:

The back up quarter back is always the most popular player. People need to come to grips with reality of the abilities of our players. Francis will play when the coach feels he is ready. The Rockets don't owe him a thing. We gave him the keys 10 years ago and he couldn't drive the truck. We don't owe him jack. If he thinks he did the Rockets a favor, he has another thing coming, just like Bonzi. I wish people would stop encouraging the entitlement persona of professional athletes.

PS JVG was a great coach. I wish I had ever had a coach anywhere even close to his caliber and style. The work ethic, the insistance upon discipline... I will always respect any team he coaches, (unless it's the Jazz. :) )

20. Murph23

Murph23 Rookie

If you really believe that Alston is the best pg on the roster, then the Rocket's are not getting out of the 1st round AGAIN!